2009 Gardening Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So what are you planting in your garden this year? Veggies or flowers.. And feel free to post photos!!

I got most of my veggies in Sunday before the rain set in.. Kind of early but I planted Peas - regular and snow, onions - red and yelllow, carrots, lettuce.. And beets.. Still too early for tomatos and garlic.. Our last frost date is like the middle of may so I'm pushing it a bit...

ohh I have lots tomatoes (yellow pear, Red Roma tomatoes, patio container tomatoes, goliath tomatoes, spoon tomatoes and some more), Swiss chards bright lights, red onions, Dill, italian parsley, Zuchini, Pumpkin, Okra, Oregano, Red bell pepper, jalapenos, pepper ancho

Here are some pictures:

This is when I started it back in December, I had Romaine Lettuce in the middle but it didnt grow big and didnt taste good either so no more lettuce for me

DSC05576.jpg

This is today

DSC06932.jpg

Red Onions, I know they are not full size but I couldnt wait
biggrin.gif

DSC06547.jpg

Chocolate Cherry Tomato Plant

DSC06925.jpg

Yellow Pear tomatoes

DSC06558.jpg

DSC06625.jpg

Swiss Chards Bright Lights (started from seed)

DSC06930.jpg

Here are the Pumpkin , Zuchini, 1 Okra plant and the Swiss chards (all from seed)

DSC06931.jpg

Baby Pumpkin (started from seed)

DSC06819.jpg

Zuchinis

DSC06935.jpg

Cauliflower Graffitti: Not sure if these will survive

DSC06924.jpg

Oregano

DSC06926.jpg

More tomatoes (from Left to Right: Bush Goliath, Better Bush and Patio container tomato)

DSC06927.jpg

Sunshine I'm so jealous of your green thumb!!!!!

I'm having a co-worker come over next month and she's going to pimp out my garden. I really want some pretty flowers and maybe a tomato plant (I love home-grown tomatoes). I hope I don't end up killing everything!!!!

Originally Posted by McRubel /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sunshine I'm so jealous of your green thumb!!!!!
I'm having a co-worker come over next month and she's going to pimp out my garden. I really want some pretty flowers and maybe a tomato plant (I love home-grown tomatoes). I hope I don't end up killing everything!!!!

LOL, I've been through a lot of trial and error, my Roma tomatoes had Blossom end-rut because they didnt have enough calcium I guess, then they were eaten by disgusting rats, my lettuce didnt grow well, but besides that it's been a good experience, I love the fact that I can go out to my backyard and cut some fresh herbs and tomatoes while I'm cooking, just give it a try, tomatoes arent really so hard after all.

Here's my most recent tomato plant, I'm not sure but I think it's spoon tomato
DSC06937.jpg

DSC06936.jpg

Red (left) Yellow (right) peppers still green

DSC06826.jpg

Karren: When are you gonna show us yours???
biggrin.gif

Wow!! That's an awesome garden!! Must be nice to have such a long growing period.. If we get 5 months were lucky! So what's a chocolate cherry tomato plant? That's a new one.. And my garden looks like dirt with a fence around it! Lol.

I'm starting small, lol. Now that the sunny and warm days are back, herbs have taken back their place on our kitchen's window sill. There is basil, chives, chervil and mom's rosemary. It's really funny to see them grow bit by bit everyday, especially since i forgot to put names on the pots. The fun to discover what is what
lol.gif

Your pot garden sounds great, Aude!!!

Here's mine.... Dirt with a fence!! lol

41966-garden042009.jpg

This is the first Spring I've spent in my own home and I really want to plant some flowers out front but I don't know what to plant.

Depending on if you have sun or shade, Impatients are always nice.. And Petunias.. Geraniums.. Daisies... Black Eyed Susans!!

Lol, i was wondering, what's the fence for ? Prevent the cat from playing with the earth ?
laughing.gif

Well we had frost last night so had to run out and cover everything lst night... But the onions are doing great....

onions052009.jpg

And the peas are up

peas052009.jpg

letuce and garlic...

letucegarlic052009.jpg

Wow, deers ? Surely that's not something i have to worry about here.

Everything looks great, Karren.

Marvelous news. Whenever my cat sneaks on the window sill we find her chewing some chives.
kopfkratz.gif

No deer in France, Aude? lol We have a lot of chipmonks too!! I have a live trap and need to relocate them to a nearby forest... There's like 6 of them and they are digging holes all over the place.... Our cat chewed up the aloe and an ornimental plant yesterday.... Grazing like a cow!!

Where's the global warming when you need it?? lol Got below freezing this morning so we had to cover everything in the garden last night.... Were way past our last frost date too...

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif Where's the global warming when you need it?? lol Got below freezing this morning so we had to cover everything in the garden last night.... Were way past our last frost date too... Yeah.. and tonight is supposed to be even worse. It is such a pain... I need warm weather!! Karren, when do you plant your garlic? My bf's grandmother said your supposed to start in late fall.. and my uncle said the same thing.. but he said you can also plant it very early spring. it won't grow as big though.
I wish I would've planted garlic.. I LOVE it!!

I plant my garlic in the spring as early as I can.... Up north here I don't think that it would winter over very well... Crockett's Victory garden book which is up in Mass says to plant it in May....

I covered everything again last night but the frost wasn't as bad....

How's everyone's garden? The weather here sucks, it's been a little over 80 degrees only a handful of times. This is the year without a summer for us.
frown.gif
The garden is obviously affected. Everything is behind schedule and I'm not sure if some things will grow at all. My cucumbers didn't come up at all.

Hope everyone else is having better luck than I am.

Well first a ground hog tore up all the peas.... then after I fixed the fence a small bunny some how gets in every night and mows down the carrot tops... Something ate all the ripe tomatos off my wife's single tomato plant on the patio ... but since nothing likes onions... they are doing great!! lol

Latest posts

Back