Hydroxycut anyone?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't... I have looked into it though in the past and the reviews from some people who have taken it are scary. If you have to take some type of pill or weightloss then I suggest you look into Hoodia. There seems to be a controversy around it but then again what type of weight loss drug doesn't? Hoodia in comparison seems to be a safer option given that the ingredients are all natural with little to no side effects. All it does is suppress hunger, but it has found to give great results. You just have to be careful you get the right type of hoodia.. a lot( about 80%) are either fake versions or contain a ver low dosage to do anything. However, those who take the correct formula can have great benefits.

this site gives you all the information you need plus it suggests some trusted brands: Info About Hoodia - Independent Hoodia Report

Personally I stay away from diet pills.... and diet's in general because when the diet is over the pounds typically come back plus some... simplest way is reduce your intake and increase your activity. Change the way you eat and exersize going forward so that you maintain the weight you want to stay at...

FDA announces recall of weight loss pill Hydroxycut

Updated Fri. May. 1 2009 1:01 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

U.S. government health officials are warning dieters and body builders to immediately stop using Hydroxycut, a diet supplement made in Canada that has been linked to serious liver damage and at least one death.

The Food and Drug Administration said Iovate Health Sciences Inc., of Oakville, Ont., has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products. They are:

* Hydroxycut Regular Rapid Release Caplets

* Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Rapid Release Caplets

* Hydroxycut Hardcore Liquid Caplets

* Hydroxycut Max Liquid Caplets

* Hydroxycut Regular Drink Packets

* Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Drink Packets

* Hydroxycut Hardcore Drink Packets (Ignition Stix)

* Hydroxycut Max Drink Packets

* Hydroxycut Liquid Shots

* Hydroxycut Hardcore RTDs (Ready-to-Drink)

* Hydroxycut Max Aqua Shed

* Hydroxycut 24

* Hydroxycut Carb Control

* Hydroxycut Natural

Hydroxycut Cleanse and Hoodia products are not affected by the recall.

"The FDA urges consumers to discontinue use of Hydroxycut products in order to avoid any undue risk. Adverse events are rare, but exist," said Dr. Linda Katz, interim chief medical officer of the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.

Available in grocery stores and pharmacies, Hydroxycut is advertised as made from natural ingredients. At least nine million bottles were sold in the U.S. last year, the FDA said.

The FDA said it has received 23 reports of serious health problems ranging from jaundice and elevated liver enzymes, an indicator of potential liver injury, to liver damage requiring liver transplant.

As well, the 2007 death of a 19-year-old teen has now been linked to the supplement.

Other health problems reported include seizures; cardiovascular disorders; and rhabdomyolysis, a type of muscle damage that can lead to other serious health problems such as kidney failure.

The liver injuries did not appear to be due to overdose. The FDA says the cases were reported by patients at the doses recommended on the Hydroxycut bottle.

"Consumers should consult a physician or other health care professional if they are experiencing symptoms possibly associated with these products," the FDA warned.

Those symptoms include yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes (called jaundice), and brown urine. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, light-coloured stools, excessive fatigue, weakness, stomach or abdominal pain, itching, and loss of appetite.

The FDA has no authority to review diet supplements before they're marketed; instead, it relies on voluntary reports to detect such problems, and many cases are never reported.

Dr. Katz said it had been difficult for the agency to get a handle on the Hydroxycut problem because reports of liver damage have been sporadic.

source: CTV.ca | FDA announces recall of weight loss pill Hydroxycut

So is it ok to use it in Canada, Carolyn?
smile.gif

i saw it. my friend sent me the link. i was going to post this up too until i saw someone did it before me. lol thanks anyways!

I wouldn't use the stuff. But I found this Canadian article that give more info:

Reactions to Hydroxycut found in Canada as U.S. recalls pills

1 death, reports of liver damage linked to the supplements, FDA says.

Last Updated: Friday, May 1, 2009 | 6:11 PM ET Comments61Recommend60

CBC News

Adverse reactions have been reported in Canada from people taking the popular diet supplement Hydroxycut, which U.S. officials urged consumers to stop using on Friday.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced the manufacturer has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products amid reports of liver damage, including the death of a 19-year-old in 2007 that was linked to the supplement and reported to the FDA in March.

No Hydroxycut products are currently authorized for sale in Canada, although the products are available.

Health Canada has received 17 domestic adverse reaction reports associated with Hydroxycut products in Canada, a spokesperson said in an email to CBC News.

These included reports of cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, and neurological systems. None were related to liver injury.

These recalled products are available in grocery stores and pharmacies in the U.S. and online:

* Hydroxycut Regular Rapid Release Caplets

* Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Rapid Release Caplets

* Hydroxycut Hardcore Liquid Caplets

* Hydroxycut Max Liquid Caplets

* Hydroxycut Regular Drink Packets

* Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Drink Packets

* Hydroxycut Hardcore Drink Packets (Ignition Stix)

* Hydroxycut Max Drink Packets

* Hydroxycut Liquid Shots

* Hydroxycut Hardcore RTDs (Ready-to-Drink)

* Hydroxycut Max Aqua Shed

* Hydroxycut 24

* Hydroxycut Carb Control

* Hydroxycut Natural

The products are marketed for weight loss, boosting energy and other uses.

"While this is a small number of reports relative to the many millions of people who have used Hydroxycut products over the years, out of an abundance of caution and because consumer safety is our top priority, we are voluntarily recalling these Hydroxycut-branded products," Iovate Health Sciences Inc., of Oakville, Ont., said in a statement on its website.

Stop using products

Since cases of liver damage are rare, it has taken until now to determine the scope of the problem, said Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division.

The FDA has received 23 reports of serious health problems ranging from jaundice to elevated liver enzymes that can indicate potential liver injury, to rare cases of liver damage requiring liver transplant.

Other health problems reported included seizures, cardiovascular disorders, and rhabdomyolysis — a type of muscle damage that can lead to other serious health problems such as kidney failure.

The FDA advised consumers who are using any of the recalled products to stop using them and return them to the place of purchase.

Health officials in Canada and the U.S. are investigating product formulas, ingredients, dosages or other causes that may be potentially toxic. The formulation has changed several times.

Health Canada said its reviewing the situation in Canada and has been in contact with the FDA. The department said it will provide Canadians with any new safety information when its review is complete.

Hydroxycut Cleanse and Hoodia products are not affected by the U.S. recall.

The products are manufactured by Iovate Health Sciences Inc., of Oakville, Ont.

With files from The Associated Press

Source: Reactions to Hydroxycut found in Canada as U.S. recalls pills

FYI, they released a new formula with totally different ingredients. I don't know if it works or not though but it's supposed to be safer.

I haven't used it. Not really that big a fan of Muscletech

I've used some other fatburners for thermogenesis, stimulation and increase in focus (like Lipo 6), but they should ONLY be used in conjunction with a solid fitness routine.

I've also tried some samples I've gotten in my supplement orders.

But right now though, I just pop a caffeine pill before cardio, and I eat a lot of cayenne pepper and paprika. I've noticed the same results, so it's not really that necessary to use the fat loss pills anyway

Back