I might have scarlet fever :(

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I woke up with a crazy rash today and when I went to the dr, he seemed to think I might have scarlet fever!

gloom.

At least I get the day off workt hough!
yey.gif

Anyone know anything about it? I might just have a viral infection, but I wont find out until the test results come in on thursday!

I found this info - quite interesting!

Quote:
About Scarlet Fever
Scarlet fever is caused by an infection with group A streptococcus bacteria. The bacteria make a toxin (poison) that can cause the scarlet-colored rash from which this illness gets its name.

Not all streptococci bacteria make this toxin and not all kids are sensitive to it. Two kids in the same family may both have strep infections, but one child (who is sensitive to the toxin) may develop the rash of scarlet fever while the other may not. Usually, if a child has this scarlet rash and other symptoms of strep throat, it can be treated with antibiotics. So if your child has these symptoms, it's important to call your doctor.

Symptoms of Scarlet Fever

scarletfever_illustrationThe rash is the most striking sign of scarlet fever. It usually begins looking like a bad sunburn with tiny bumps and it may itch. The rash usually appears first on the neck and face, often leaving a clear unaffected area around the mouth. It spreads to the chest and back, then to the rest of the body. In body creases, especially around the underarms and elbows, the rash forms classic red streaks. Areas of rash usually turn white when you press on them. By the sixth day of the infection the rash usually fades, but the affected skin may begin to peel.

Aside from the rash, there are usually other symptoms that help to confirm a diagnosis of scarlet fever, including a reddened sore throat, a fever above 101° Fahrenheit (38.3° Celsius), and swollen glands in the neck. The tonsils and back of the throat may be covered with a whitish coating, or appear red, swollen, and dotted with whitish or yellowish specks of pus. Early in the infection, the tongue may have a whitish or yellowish coating. A child with scarlet fever also may have chills, body aches, nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite.

When scarlet fever occurs because of a throat infection, the fever typically stops within 3 to 5 days, and the sore throat passes soon afterward. The scarlet fever rash usually fades on the sixth day after sore throat symptoms began, but skin that was covered by rash may begin to peel. This peeling may last 10 days. With antibiotic treatment, the infection itself is usually cured with a 10-day course of antibiotics, but it may take a few weeks for tonsils and swollen glands to return to normal.

source: Scarlet Fever

I've heard of it, but I don't know anything about it. That sounds icky though, I hate sore throats, swollen glands, etc. Do you have a sore throat or a fever yet? I hope you feel better soon!!

I found this info at wiki - Scarlet fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scarlet Fever isn't viral - it's from a bacteria called Streptococcus pyogenes.

This bacteria can affect the skin and the respiratory system - antibiotics are available - just make sure you take the full prescription as per your doctor.

hope you're feeling better Rosie

aww hunny bunny! get well soon! drink plenty of water and i hope the doc prescribes you anti-bs soon.

Oh no, I hope it's not scarlet fever
frown.gif
And I hope you feel better soon, whatever it is!!

thanks everyone - the dr did a swab but he wont be sure for a few more days. I feel pretty crap, but not REALLY bad - yet!

apparently the rash comes AFTER the fever, so maybe it wont get worse? I hope not! my throat has been sore for a few weeks but not bad enough to see the doctor about, so hopefully it will clear up from here on

aww! i know sometimes with viral chest infections and stuff you can get a rash. i used to when i was little, every time i had a cold i'd get this red rash.

hope you feel better soon!!

wow!! That's scarry!! I haven't heard of anyone getting SF in a long time....

I know that sometimes with Scarlet Fever your tongue can start having a whitish coating on it. And then after a few days it sloughs off and the tongue will be red and swollen. They call is "strawberry tongue" because of its appearance. I know that's gross info but just some things to look out for!
biggrin.gif

Anyways, hope you feel better!!!

Aww that sucks. So many sick ppl nowadays. Hopefully you feel better soon though
wink.gif

Originally Posted by McRubel /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know that sometimes with Scarlet Fever your tongue can start having a whitish coating on it. And then after a few days it sloughs off and the tongue will be red and swollen. They call is "strawberry tongue" because of its appearance. I know that's gross info but just some things to look out for!
biggrin.gif

Anyways, hope you feel better!!!

Oh yeah...the infamous strawberry tongue. That and the swollen glands and all I remember about this from class. I don´t know anyone who has actually had it, it does seem to be quite rare nowadays. It really sucks when you get typical childhood diseases as an adult. A lot of times they are worse when you get them as an adult, but of course there are mild cases as well. I had the chicken pox when I was 18 and it was a very mild case.
Hope you get better soon!!!

Originally Posted by Darla /img/forum/go_quote.gif isn't that kind of rare these days? It is.My younger brother got it in the 70s,it was quite scaryI hope you get better Rosie

Latest posts

Back