Buffing vs. Stippling?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just watched umpteen videos on youtube to perfect my foundation application...and now I'm more confused than I was to begin with! Which technique works best? I think right now I will be using a liquid foundation all over, and as my skin clears more, just powder and concealer where needed. So which technique will give me a flawless look? Thanks for any advice in advance!!

They both will give a flawless look.
smile.gif

Buffing would be for normal coverage for the whole face, and stippling in certain areas provides extra coverage where needed. hth!

How do you buff a liquid foundation?

Im my opinion if you are using liquid you stipple it.

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif How do you buff a liquid foundation?
Im my opinion if you are using liquid you stipple it.

Using a skunk brush, buffing in circles. It makes the liquid foundation melt into the skin.
smile.gif

Oh ok then both. LOL

Enkore on youtube says you stipple and then you buff afterwards!

That's what I do. Stipple (or use a regular foundation brush sometimes) and then buff to smooth it out.

I thought stippling was the act of initial application and buffing was the final step? Be careful with buffing, you can get micro tears on the skin.

So for stippling then buffing, the best brush to use would be a skunk brush or something to that effect? Then using one of those liquid foundation brushes that are flat but have a rounded tip.

I would try out all techniques. I think that a few things effect how they will work for you personally such as the type of foundation, preference, etc. Just because one person loves stippling doesn't mean you will. This is one of the trial and error things you just have to do.

Thanks for all the help. I am def. going to try this right away now! can't wait to figure out these 2 methods. Thanks again all!

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif Just because one person loves stippling doesn't mean you will. This is one of the trial and error things you just have to do. yep. that's true. i tried stippling a couple of times and im not sure i like it. i dont not like it per se, but it almost looks fakish and like ive too much makeup on.. but im probably doing it wrong
tongue.gif

I buff in my foundation with my 109 when I use liquid. I find it gives me awesome coverage. I don't like stippling, personally.

i sort of stipple and then blend any bits with my fingers or do a light buffing motion with the brush. but like leticia says its a personal thing i think!

To me, stippling gives a more flawless, airbrushed finish but it also takes longer (for me, at least
wink.gif
) so I usually buff.
smile.gif

I don't like stippling my foundation. Makes me feel like I have no control over the application and the fibers feel very wobbly.

A damp kabuki brush works so much better. It's like a thicker, denser stippling brush.. gives a true "airbrushed" finish.

Honestly, I'm still trying to get how stippling is supposed to work. Because you're actually supposed to just dot dot dot, and NOT buff after... But I can't do it without buffing, so now I just buff and go.

Back