-=Effective Oral Pill for Pimple=-

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have pimples for the past eight years. i tried several creams, astringents, went to facial center and spent a lot of money already, but my pimples don't seem to go away. so i guess i'd better try some oral medicines this time. i need you advice if you have tried any effective oral medicine for pimples. I just recently bought ERYTHROMYCIN 500mg and been using this for about 6 days already but today 1 pimple on my chin pop out so I was thinking if ERYTHRO isnt effective at all. TY
icon_sad.gif

Hi! First of all, don't give up on a medicine after 6 days, it may take a few months before the medicine really begins working. My dermatologist always made me stay on a medicine for at least 6 months before trying a new one. It can take up to 8 weeks for a pimple to become visible after the actual pore is clogged!

I personally have very oily skin prone to clogged pores, but not much true acne. (Acne requires the presence of a certain bacteria, which apparently I don't have much of!) I do have some information in my notepad (all of which was told to me by my dermatologist), and I have also recently found a very useful article on oily skin here. There are also several articles about acne at that same website, dermadoctor.com -- just click on "Articles"!
smile.gif

While there are some differences between clogged pores and acne and what treatment is best for each, a lot of the care and prevention is the same. As described in my notepad, there is a lot more to treating acne than just taking medicines. Are you going to a dermatologist? That is really the best way to treat more severe acne or clogged pores, he/she can work with you to find the best medicine for YOU -- what works for one person may not work as well for another! (For example, several girls on this site said Differin was the best prescription cream for them, but I found that Tazorac worked better for me!)

For that matter, if you only have one pimple appear in 6 days, that's not bad at all -- I would love to have only one pimple every 6 days!
biggrin.gif

don't give up yet. they say that things get worse before they get better because things start coming to the surface. they also say that it takes like 6-8 for a pimple to form.

Yes, hang in there! Don't give up, like Liz said. I understand how depressing it can be to struggle with acne, though. It really does take some time for topical and oral antibiotics and AHA creams to do their jobs... I've heard that skin has to 'purge' and I think I've seen my own skin do that when I've tried new treatments. I've tried a lot of the options out there, including oral antibiotics, but quit taking those out of worry that I was only harming my immune system. My problem was hormonal and plant estrogens took care of the issue. If you believe that your acne is a result of your skin's inability to properly exfoliate on it's own, which is common...I'd suggest light chemical peels, or Retin A, which treated the clogged pores very well (but not the deeper nodules). I think that's pretty much just a form of Differin...If you believe it's hormone related, a doctor can determine what your hormone levels are, and prescribe medication to balance them, or you can try out a natural route (which I prefer), and Naturally would probably have some good recommendations for that. I really do believe there is an answer for most people, though, and it just takes time to discover what meets your individual needs. I happen to have really great skin now, with the exception of three small scars I like to obsess over, but it took about two years to get to the root of the problem.

I've tried erthormycin and it was the least effective out of all the other antibiotics I've used for acne...perhaps the most effective was Minocyline but over years of usage i started developing an allergic reaction it. With erthromycin i had to take the pill 3 times a day after a meal, which wasn't convenient at all.

Back