Lime Crime and Glamour Doll Eyes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Those two companies both have a common like: fashionably bright. or Are they?

Lime Crime

Found this mineral makeup company few weeks ago. I have to admit, their pictures are convincingly pretty with a good photography clarity. Just a few BIG problems. they are repackaged retailer

1. Outrageous price - $12 USD for a 5g sifter jar (in the faq, she said it's 2g of product, right...) Someone at youtube says it's 1 gram before. Comes in a square based 5 gram jar. You could go over to youtube - someone is doing an eye look using them and see how much/big the jar is.

2. Suspicious business operation:

a) a retailer - I've seen swatches that remind me of TKB colors and some from Pureluxe (which is also a retailer)

B) botched reviews : I've seen some reviews and there're less than five 4-star ratings on their 'magic dust' eyeshadows - WITH favorable reviews of course. others are all 5-star. there no 3 star or less...

c) motto: So bright, it's illegal. I've seen favorable youtubers.. they wear them WET, that's where the motto comes from. Everything turns bright when used wet so this doesn't mean anything.

d) attack of thy fans: one youtuber made an honest review of this and later said that she was getting attacked verbally from Lime Crime fans after her video was out...

I've been to Aromaleigh and they offer fullsize in 5 gram jar with sifter adn they stated the net weight is only 1.2 gram. I don't buy from them, so I don't know if they come with a sifter or not. a Youtuber said that before it was only 1 gram then people started complaining so she then said it was 5 gram jar.

I've seen somebody on youtube (kudo to her) mentioned one of her friend wrote a 3-star review and was deleted without any notice.

What do you think? Do you think it's worth it because she's a celebrity? (as one of her fans mentioned in youtube, so it 'deserves' to be this much) Would you buy from this site in the future?

I'll borrow somebody's quote of review on Lime crime on makeupalley: So slight, it's illegal.. LOL

Glamour Doll Eyes reseller

price: samples: $2.00 for a bag and $3.50 for a jar ; about 1/4 tsp

full size: $8.00 5 gram jar

Once again, it's a repackaged seller. I've got. I thought this was a true indie company, but was disappointed because I got the SAME colors in my stash..

Dirty girl = many dupes, also in Pureluxe chocomint, etc

Gold digger = some dupes I've got from other company, forgot names

Some of their colors contain paraben, etc.

I think I'll stick to the mineral companies I trust..

I think the only real problems are their reviews. I never pay attention to reviews from the origins. I look for other sources. Other than that, if I like the stuff then why not?

Never heard of them and with so many other excellent companies around now with better prices - like half for a full size eye shadow I'm sure I'd never buy from them. Good research though cause I'd never have found them.

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think the only real problems are their reviews. I never pay attention to reviews from the origins. I look for other sources. Other than that, if I like the stuff then why not? ita
smile.gif

I'm kinda over youtube gurus reviewing and suggesting products... I'll wait for you guys to say you've tried something and it works.

I have always wanted to try lime crime but was not sure the colors woul actually be as bright as they claim to be !!!

Yeah, I'd never buy limecrime. Sooo expensive for repackaged product. I did recently buy GDE's, but it was half off so I got 5 pigments for 20 bucks which is pretty good.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm kinda over youtube gurus reviewing and suggesting products... I'll wait for you guys to say you've tried something and it works. Same here.

Thanks But yeah I have a whole mess of Makeup forever & OCC I love their Makeup lol I just want to try every line lol But yeah I think i'll stick to what I know best cuz this lime crime doesnt seem reasonable

I think she's just using her name to sell the products. Because she's a good mu artist, it makes her products seem credible. I will not fall for that though.

I wouldn't buy Lime Crime because the price is just too much for me. I also don't really understand the 'so bright, it's illegal' claim as many - if not most - of all mineral makeup companies offer a selection of really bright colors. But if others buy them and like them, more power to them.
smile.gif

Glamour Doll Eyes, I haven't heard of that company before so I can't comment...

I would love to buy from Aromaleigh - they have so many beautiful colors and finishes - all unique because she makes them herself! However, I can't because I don't have a confirmed PayPal address and I can only pay with credit card through PayPal (not funded) and I'm sooo sad about that.

i had no idea lime crime was mineral until i read this. i've followed that girl (back when she was lime crime, she's now doe deer or something?) from her lime crime fashion designing days and cute tutorials to her blog that she keeps now. i would have expected her product to be better, $12 for a sifter jar is ridiculous.

Me too Lucy, i really loved her old site, she's called Doe Deere now. I'm interested in her makeup but yes $12 for such a small amount of product is ridiculous. I didn't know it was a repackaged retailer, can't say i'm really surprised either. I don't have a problem with the motto, i think it fits the character, and i love bright colors so i'm happy to find bright stuff available.

Originally Posted by MakeupByMonet /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have always wanted to try lime crime but was not sure the colors woul actually be as bright as they claim to be !!! ITA!! the colors look so amazing, but ill stick with fyrinnae, pure luxe and aromaleigh and try TBK trading
smile.gif

For those prices I would just stick with Taylor made, and I am fully aware that when something is a cult favorite, people that go against the grain tend to get bashed. And they are the reviews that I look for and base my opinion off of.

I have ordered from Lime Crime before, and in all honesty the colors were bright and pretty but lacked "sticking" power and unique-ness. I ordered 6: Primma Donna, Lime Criminal, Elf, Twilight, Crystal Ball, and Amazon.

I found Primma Donna to be disappointing, while gorgeous in the jar it applies medium pigmented on my lids and does NOT stick to them (I use TFSI which is amazing for pigments). Lime Criminal was bright and pretty, applied well but just wasn't very interesting. Give me Aromaleigh or Archetype and I'll get a bright lime green with a pink duochrome or silver glitter, but this LC one was just plain lime green... that being said I still love the color but I just wish it was more interesting. Elf I love and can't really say anything about because I love the color so much! Twilight is another gem of the collection, a gorgeous cool purple-ish lavender blue (I can't describe it, it is tooo pretty) with a strinking pink duochrome sparkle. It isn't DUOCHROME but it isn't light shimmer either. Perfect in every way. Crystal Ball is pretty but the fall out is CRAZY! Amazon is a pretty color but again uninteresting and really low staying power.

All in all, I have mixed feelings about Lime Crime. Some shadows I loved, others I wanted to but couldn't (Primma Donna, I so wanted this to be the perfect hot pink-ish red!) In the future I will not be ordering from LC (unless I ever run out of Elf or Twilight which I doubt I ever will) because...

1. $12 is a little pricey for me when it comes to mineral eyeshadow. I would much rather spend my money at Aromaleigh.

2. The eyeshadows were too hit and miss for me
frown.gif

3. They're staying power was terrible (Twilight I exempt from this and Elf and Lime Criminal weren't too bad)

On a final note, I had GREAT customer service! I was leaving to go on vacation a week before I ordered and was hoping my eyeshadows would arrive before I left. I emailed LC and they promptly said they would make sure it arrived in time. I was touched at their concern. It was really hearwarming. Also, the jars as some have mentioned contain only 1.2 grams of pigment... in actuality I find these jars to be slightly bigger than others and come PACKED with pigment. The jars will probably last you a very very long time unless you use that shadow A LOT.

I hope this helped you guys...

Thanks for your input !!

It's too bad about their staying power i would have really hoped these to hold up to their promising looks. Elf is really pretty but it looks a lot like a piggie i have from the She Space (Native of nature).

Am I the only one that remembers her mentioning (YEARS ago) that she gets her pigments from somewhere else and sells them through her website? This was way before her site got closed between Lime Crime and Doe Deere? I always thought that was odd, but I understood that it might be difficult for some of us closed-in midwestern people to get professional pigments and I didn't mind so much.

Now if she's claiming she's blended these all by hand, she's definitely lying... for the reason mentioned above! Just remember, people who make their own MMU DO spend a lot of time finding and/or blending perfect dupes for their favorite brand products, and if these people are selling these... it's perfectly legal, but not real imaginative. I made a color that is near-exactly-identical to a HIP pigment color a few months ago (that I already owned, silly me).

Latest posts

Back