Help with Sheeniest bismuth free foundation please!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gals!

Okay, first off, thanks for clicking!

Okay, so...I need help. What is the most shiny BISMUTH free foundation you have tried? I am one of those weird gals that actually loves the sheen of BE but break out horribly from the bismuth.
bawling.gif
I was about to give up on mmu recently then I tried some really good brands- EGM, J Lynne, Sheer minerals (my fave of the three) but none give that sheeny radiance I get with bismuth containing MMU. They also dont go on as smooth. All those foundations look radiant ONLY with flash pictures but none have achieved that liquid dewyness I got with my liquid foundation that I miss so much. WIthout a flash, I found these foundations to look dull, and tired and not smooth as they look with the effect of light. Unfortunately for me, I go to other places that arent as lighted as a camara flash.lol I also found that none feel as silky as bismuth containing mmu (thats why they put it in). Has anyone tried raw minerals?. Holy crap! You cant even feel that foundation in your fingers, its like nothing I've ever felt! Pyscho silky and creamy!Ten times more silk like than BE, Like if you had soap in your fingers, that slippery and silky -packed with bismuth. I bought a foundie on ebay and loved the way it looked but didnt dare try it another day after I read the horrid breakout stories on utube, not worth it
sleepyhead.gif
My ideal foundation would have full coverage in 1 or tops 2 layers, look super smooth and be super sheeny! Please help with any suggestions! Much appreciated!

I too love the look of BE's foundation. I don't like matte foundation and don't think it looks good. So I have been looking for the same thing as you. I can wear BE foundation and it doesn't make me break out but I do get some burning etc. Nothing that's unbearable but it is weird. I wear their summer bisque concealer all the time and don't get that with the concealer, only the foundation, so I know I am not allergic to bismuth. BE's prices leave something to be desired too, and I hate it that the jars are not even close to being full!
frown.gif
And I don't like that pin prickly feeling so I don't wear it that often.

Anyway...... what I have come up with that has quite a bit of glow -

Lure Beauty's Luminous formula - it is pretty glowy but I would call it light to medium coverage. It has a really pretty finish though.

Sun Cat - the regular formula is pretty glowy. I think she must use a pretty shimmery mica. When I used the foundation plus one of their shimmery finishing veils, it was almost too shimmery for me, which is saying something. It is a medium coverage and I thought the foundation as far as color ran a little light. Sun Cat is very natural and only uses basic ingredients and no iffy ones.

Joppa Morning Dew - foundation with a little bronzer added. It is very glowy and pretty, especially for summer. Again I think medium-ish coverage. Has silica in it, which is an iffy ingredient for me, but during the summer I can likely get away with it.

None of these completely duplicate the look of BE for me (I think bismuth gives that "sheen" like you mentioned that is hard to duplicate) but these are the best ones I personally have found.

Hope this helps!!!
smile.gif

Meow Cosmetics has a bismuth free MMU called Purr-Fect Puss. You could always add one of their glow powders to get a shinier finish. Samples are $1, I think. HTH

Maybe an all over glow powder will help. I use a colorless one from EGM called Starlight Clear Glow. It's just that, clear but adds sheen wherever you apply.

Originally Posted by carmonious /img/forum/go_quote.gif I too love the look of BE's foundation. I don't like matte foundation and don't think it looks good. So I have been looking for the same thing as you. I can wear BE foundation and it doesn't make me break out but I do get some burning etc. Nothing that's unbearable but it is weird. I wear their summer bisque concealer all the time and don't get that with the concealer, only the foundation, so I know I am not allergic to bismuth. BE's prices leave something to be desired too, and I hate it that the jars are not even close to being full!
frown.gif
And I don't like that pin prickly feeling so I don't wear it that often.Anyway...... what I have come up with that has quite a bit of glow -

Lure Beauty's Luminous formula - it is pretty glowy but I would call it light to medium coverage. It has a really pretty finish though.

Sun Cat - the regular formula is pretty glowy. I think she must use a pretty shimmery mica. When I used the foundation plus one of their shimmery finishing veils, it was almost too shimmery for me, which is saying something. It is a medium coverage and I thought the foundation as far as color ran a little light. Sun Cat is very natural and only uses basic ingredients and no iffy ones.

Joppa Morning Dew - foundation with a little bronzer added. It is very glowy and pretty, especially for summer. Again I think medium-ish coverage. Has silica in it, which is an iffy ingredient for me, but during the summer I can likely get away with it.

None of these completely duplicate the look of BE for me (I think bismuth gives that "sheen" like you mentioned that is hard to duplicate) but these are the best ones I personally have found.

Hope this helps!!!
smile.gif

Camonious, thanks so much for all the rec's! I will definitely be trying! I dont feel like such an oddball for likeing the sheen of BE anymore
laughing.gif
I did however try Joppa and loved it at first but then something went wrong and it started settling in my line! (and I'm 22, ahhh!)
I have tried the glow powders of EGM and J.Lynn but found they either look 1) to sparkly- mica tends to be more glittery than a sheen or 2) they looked like MAC MSF's but all over my face! Way to reflective!). The sheen of Bismuth is so peculiar. Its not glittery at all but rather very soft and glowy, luminous and radiant. WHY WHY WHY! I'm even willing to stand the itch and burning just for the look but not the pimples!...just my luck!waaaaaaa!!!!!
bawling.gif
bawling.gif
bawling.gif

Would anyone be able to recommend a foundie with bismuth that HASNT broken them out? I've herd good things about Pur Minerals. Anyone? Thank you !

U just need shine but not sparkle or shimmery? Try reading the labels and it should have SERICITE on it. Mineral Makeup makers usually replaced Bismuth with Sericite.

I would give Joppa's Simple Radiance or Mineral Basics a try. I believe Boron Nitride is a similar ingredient to bismuth so any foundie with that in it will have a nice sheen.

I also love the glow of BE's foundation - the reason why I don't use it isn't the bismuth though, I have no problem with that, but I can't find a color match - and my favorite foundation is Joppa Simple Radiance. It doesn't look exactly the same on as BE, IMO, but pretty close.
smile.gif

I have ordered samples of Sun Cat foundation because of the recommendation in this thread and I can't wait to try it!
smile.gif

You might try everyday mineral's "original glo" foundations.

I'm honestly not sure if it has the deweyness you're looking for (I've never used foundation with bismuth in it, and EDM was my first real makeup brand, so I don't really have any personal experience in comparing various sheens), but they offer a free sample kit, with 3 foundations, a blush, and concealer

If you're wanting full coverage in 1-2 layers, you might try their intensive as a base layer for coverage and glo as a top layer (glo is the sheerest and sheenest of the 4 types they carry -- intensive is the most coverage, but is more matte than dewy)

Okay so I've ordered Mineral Basics (looks promising), Suncat (I was sold when you said overly sheeny even for you. lol ) and am giving EDM another try. I had used their original glow formula but found it to sheer and gave up on finding the right color. That was back in the days before I knew about flat tops, I'll try there formula again for coverage but hesitate using it on top of another regular foundation because...I'm just dont want o fuss with two applications. I've tried simple radiance but not sheeny enough, morning dew was glowier but not enough...I'm such a nutcase for glow/sheen...can you tell by looking at my avatar? LoL (that's Loracs luminzer,-awesome stuff but not natural and is an extra step..boo!

Any other suggestions?

I've tried- Monave, pure anada, lauress, luminess, joppa, earthen glow, sheer miracle, uglogirl, emani, prestige, amazing cosmetics- to name just the ones that didnt have bismuth (that list is twice as long! )

Thank you thank you thank you ! :)

Wism, when you already are going through this much trouble, and you know what you want, wouldn´t it be worth it to make your own MMU? It is a bit messy, but you could really tweak your formula until you have exactly what you want!

If you lived a bit closer you could come and play with my stash of DIY MMU
wink.gif

Try Pur Minerals. They have Bismuth in them but I've read it doesn't make some itch like BE does.

Originally Posted by cosmeticaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif U just need shine but not sparkle or shimmery? Try reading the labels and it should have SERICITE on it. Mineral Makeup makers usually replaced Bismuth with Sericite. Actually, Sericite is not the correct (legal) name that should be appearing on a label. The accurate name for Sericite on a label (if the company is following the labeling laws) is "Mica". I know this just increases our confusion, but you can't assume "mica isn't sericite when reading a label.
As for sheen I believe Boron Nitride can add a sheen, this is how Jane Iredale removed Bismuth from their foundation, they upped the Boron nitride content.

Makeup Babe, thanks, I'll look for Boron Nitride, I was wondering why Monave reg formula felt creamier and sheener than others. Turns out they have boron in there formula. I could never find my color match tho :-(

Dawn- Yes, I just bought Pur Minerals a week ago. Super portable, mess free, fantastic coverage. Brush sheds to much. Beeeeaauuuuutifull finish...but ahh....there is always something...this one's staying powder sucked! It was gone by midday, nasty streaky oily non existant coverage mess. I'd love it if I could get it to stay on.

Any- i think making my own mmu is what its going to come down to. If I could only find the time! I'm also an impatient stubborn little pain sometimes so Im not going to have the best of times making it. lol. Next time I'm in Sweden I'll give ya a buzz. hee.hee

Thanks so much for all the help and suggestion gals!

Lumiere makes a foundation with Sheen now that I remember its the Luminess. Also Dreamworld made a very sheeny foundation but they are down from business now. She is a very nice person, the owner so maybe if you go on the site and email her with what you want she'll help out. She's just that nice and her foundation sounds like just what you want.

Thanks so much for all the help ladies.

Here is an update- i bough Suncat MMU. Exactly what I needed. There shades run way to light but I will keep sampling!

Unless there is something better I'm sticking to it for now...

Now.... If MMU werent so messy I'd be set for life...

Latest posts

Back