What Kind Of Makeup Buyer Are You?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What convinces you to buy a product: brand, sales person, sales like bogo's or gwp's? Or do you wait it out until you hear more about it or maybe for it to go on sale? How do you specifically shop for makeup?

Hmmm, I'd say the sale person plays a really big difference! For once i thought as long as the sales person is really nice to you and tries a lot of make up on you, you'd feel bad if don't buy any products from her. But then I realise when the sales person treats you like as though you aren't going to buy the product, I'll end up buying the products as well! I get really furious! HAHA.. And of course, a lot of research before buying them! But usually buy them all at once!

I wait for someone here to give a great review.... then for it to go on sale.... lol

I look at ads/promo images and reviews that the ladies here give. Also, I keep in mind whether or not I have liked other products from the brand.

If I let my experiences with salespeople dictate what brands I would or would not buy, I'd probably end up buying all drugstore brands, as I have had some bizarre and frustrating experiences with department salespeople. lol!

I tend to go by the salesperson too...if he/she is nice to me and treats me decent, I'm more likely to buy.

But a big thing for me is the magic phrase "Limited Edition". It's SO bad of me, but if I know that I won't be able to get something forever, I HAVE to have it! I work for Prescriptives at Macy's, and every time we get a LE collection, I buy practically the whole damn thing, even if I never use it. It kills me to know it might sell out and then I won't have it. No wonder I'm broke...

Originally Posted by StereoXGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have had some bizarre and frustrating experiences with department salespeople. lol! I'd love to hear those, Shaundra! lol

If it's drugstore only BOGOF, or 40% off and paired with a coupon.
biggrin.gif
For more expensive items I read reviews and watch reviews on YouTube. If I see something used in several FOTDs and really like it, then I might give it a try.

I wait for the reviews, then i buy it. If i feel i can wait, then i'll buy it on sales. I also tend to judge a product by my past experience of the brand. If the salesperson is nice and helpful, that's a bonus.

All of the above. I can be inspired to by a product by a friend who looks good wearing the product, if I believe the sales person and don't think she's just blowing smoke, reviews on the same product from different forums, the brand, an ad...

I agree, I see how it looks on members here, or how it's been reviewed, I go and test it myself in the store, and buy it when its GWP or on sale if I can. Usually the things I like don't go on sale, so I just wander in off the street and get it if I've read about it on MUT and have been thinking of it for a while.

I want lancome hpynose (or is it virtuose?) mascara, but I'm waiting either until i get to Italy, or at the airport, duty free, so I suppose I wait for sales sometimes..

I'm a beginner so i'm still building up my makeup.

i read review around.. watch tuts, check wat i need and try to buy it at my fav store.

cuz most of the stuff that is at the US cannot be found here, so i try to look for an alternative.

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd love to hear those, Shaundra! lol lol! Ok, I'll give you the latest example.
This past Sunday, I went to the MAC counter in Dillards because I wanted "Secret Crush" see thru lip colour from the A Rose Romance collection.

When I got there, one of the sales associates was giving someone a makeover and the other was looking busy and ignoring me. I looked around for awhile and then decided to go up to the second floor to look for clothing and then come back...hoping they'd actually get to me then.

When I came back, one of the SA's asked me if she could help me. I told her that I wanted the see thru lip colour in "Secret Crush," and she said she was helping someone else, but that she'd get back to me. While she was ringing the other person up, SA #2 asked me if she could help me. SA #1 yelled from over the register that I wanted "C-Thru" lipglass and "Secret Crush." I was just like..."Wait, what?" I mean, I guess it really would be easy to get that confused...

But they ignored me. SA #1 joined SA #2 and they began looking through the drawers, and SA #1 said "It's one of those tri-color lipglasses from the Sugarsweet collection." At this point I was getting somewhat concerned, as it is nothing remotely like that. So I walked over to the display, grabbed the "Secret Crush" see thru lip colour, and said "No, I want this!" In a polite way, of course. lol. SA #1 just said "I know." And kept looking and mentioned something again about a tri-color lipglass. I just stood there, holding up "Secret Crush" with a "WTF?" look on my face. lol.

Eventually SA #1 looked up and said "OH! Ok, yeah..." and went to the other drawer to get "Secret Crush." She then told SA #2 to ring me up, handing her both "C-Thru" lipglass and "Secret Crush" see thru lipcolour.

When we got to the register, I said that I only wanted the see thru lip color, and she goes "Oh, you don't want the lip stain?" So I told her that I wanted "Secret Crush," but not "C-Thru" lipglass. And I told her that "Secret Crush" was a see thru lip colour (that's what it's called by MAC), and she was just like "Oh, ok!" and finally, everything was worked out.

I don't know if I just suck completely at communication or if these ladies were dense, but I would have thought they would have gotten it around the time I was holding up exactly what I wanted...lol!

I have others, too...but they're just as long. One time, at the MAC store, a guy that worked there had been on the phone with a customer. Once they hung up, he started mocking the customer and laughing with the other SA's because the customer had mispronounced "FAFI." Not only is that entirely unprofessional, but it was loud enough for everyone in the store to hear.
wht.gif

StereoXGirl,

Oh god,

I think Mac is one of those makeupbrands with snobby SAs. I've been there 5 times, and I've only been treated nice once!

-They're either 'too busy' and so ignores you. Or,

-When you ask for stuff, they just talk to you really fast like in a 'wanna get done and over with real quick' tone. And it gives you no time to think or whatsoever if you really want to get it or not. (One of the reasons why I always go back and exchange for a diff shade). Or,

-And with that, you kind of hestitate if you wanna try on the e/s or not. It happened to me a few days ago, there was just too much purple shades n i dont know which one would suit me better, so I asked if I could try them on and see how they look on me. And she just DAB it on my hands!!! And i was like, 'hmm, can you do it on my eyes?'. And she just took a random, unclean brush and just smudge it on my face, no shape or anything!

I'm furious, but I'm a Mac Addict
frown.gif

I like to read reviews and see swatches. I also like to try it in the store if possible. In chemists I'll swipe it on the back of my hand and maybe transfer some from there to my face/lips. Not so hygenic I think but hey-ho.

I think I've only ever tried on an eyeshadow one my eyes once before buying (Vanilla by MAC). To add to the MAC stories I jokingly apologised about the state of my brows before she applied Vanilla as a highlight and she said, "it's OK, we'll just talk about you when you're gone". Thanks for that. :/

They either ignore me, pretend to be busy with sorting out something etc. or just serve me as quickly and unpleasantly as possible. I'd say they've been helpful and cheerful maybe once out of every ten times I have gone.

for me its packaging.. i'm a sucker for nice packaging! also, if there's a product i've heard is really good and i want to check it out, if i do check it out but hate the packaging i won't buy it.

and most times reviews as well, but i don't trust those 100% because each person is different. i've bought things before that i've heard hundreds of other people swear by but i found absolutely terrible

I don't really pay attention to ads and prefer to shop without a salesperson in my face. I just go in with no idea of what I want and then buy whatever I like. I'm pretty impulsive.

I don't really have a giant collection of makeup, but when it comes to eyeshadows, lipsticks, nailpolish etc which I like having a certain diversity in colors in, I'll just go with whatever colors I find pretty. When I'm gonna buy foundation I'll just go to a salesperson so that (s)he can help me find the right color and so on.

I'd probably consider myself an unyielding one, lol. I know what I want and will more than likely only get that. If something else catches my eye, I may ask about it, but will only buy it after careful consideration of everything else I already have, not necessarily how the SA is pushing it to me.

Latest posts

Back