Silica / methicone in eye shadows ?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been making mineral makeup for quite a while now, and I'd like to improve the slip of a few eye shadows.

I thought about adding silica micro spheres, or methicone treated sericite to the formula. But I'm concerned that it might be too dry for the lids of some skin types, or maybe cause irritation.

I personally and a few of my friends didn't suffer from any negative side affects, but I'd like to know from your experience if you have a different information.

Also, what is the recommended percentage in an existing formula?

Thanx !
cheer2.gif

I think silica microspheres might be too much... it dried my skin up like a raisin

I second what Lysette said about silica microspheres, it's far too drying for me.

As for methicone, I'd say that's a much better choice.
smile.gif
Adds great slip and makes the eyeshadow adhere better. However, keep in mind that some people steer away from -cones which isn't considered 'natural' enough so if you add that to your product it might lessen the appeal for some.

Originally Posted by vanja /img/forum/go_quote.gif I second what Lysette said about silica microspheres, it's far too drying for me.
As for methicone, I'd say that's a much better choice.
smile.gif
Adds great slip and makes the eyeshadow adhere better. However, keep in mind that some people steer away from -cones which isn't considered 'natural' enough so if you add that to your product it might lessen the appeal for some.

Thank you very much, Vanja ! when you wrote Methicone - did you mean Methicone itself, or Methicone treated sericite ? I'm asking because I have the Methicone treated sericite, and sericite in general tends to thin the pigment of the formula, which is not so good.

Try a little boron or magnesium myristate to your shimmery eyeshadows, for matte there is a carnauba treated serecite that I really like, or mabye magnesium stearate. Try TKB Tradings forum for some awesome help on all things mineral makeup.

Thank you, Timnliz. I already use Magnesium and Boron, but haven't tried the Carnauba sericite yet and I will order it in my next order. Doesn't it thin the color ?

Originally Posted by ksarit /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thank you very much, Vanja ! when you wrote Methicone - did you mean Methicone itself, or Methicone treated sericite ? I'm asking because I have the Methicone treated sericite, and sericite in general tends to thin the pigment of the formula, which is not so good. I meant methicone treated sericite.
smile.gif

I agree that sericite tends to thin the pigment of the formula a little, same goes for carnauba treated serecite, IMO, but the latter is more natural than the methicone treated sericite.

(I make my own MMU as well, and my e/s base consist of boron nitride, magnesium myristate and - gasp! - talc. I know that most MMU companies wouldn't dream of using talc in their products, but I only make it for myself and for friends (who know that there are talc in the formula and are OK with that). I only use a small amount of it, though, around 5%.)

Thanks, Vanja. I'll try adding just a pinch of tha Methicone. I don't use Talc but I love makeup and almost everything in makeup (including big brands' make up) has Talc in it , so I think you're safe :)

I see that your current mood is "in pain" - is everything OK ?

Originally Posted by ksarit /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks, Vanja. I'll try adding just a pinch of tha Methicone. I don't use Talc but I love makeup and almost everything in makeup (including big brands' make up) has Talc in it , so I think you're safe :) Yes, I think I'm safe.
smile.gif
I think the dangers of talc is grossly exaggerated (however it's a cheap ingredient and it's kind of aggrivating when expensive make up companies' eyeshadow mainly consist of talc!) and I'm not afraid to use it. I wouldn't use huge amounts of it, though.

Quote:
I see that your current mood is "in pain" - is everything OK ? So sweet of you to ask, yes, I'm OK, it's just my arthritis which is causing me pain.
frown.gif

Oh :-( Hope you'll get a lot of rest during the weekend and feel better, Vanja !

Back