8 year-old girl gets divorce from 47 year-old husband

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
8 year-old girl gets divorce from 47 year-old husband

Saudi Arabia had a rare showing of logic in the case of women’s (girls’?) rights by allowing an 8 year-old girl a divorce from her 47 year-old husband who didn’t want to see her go

“And then he said, ‘No, that’s my CAMEL!’â€

A court in Saudi Arabia has granted an 8-year-old girl a divorce from her 47-year-old husband, after twice denying the divorce request previously, local media reported Thursday.The marriage sparked condemnations around the world from human rights groups and U.S. and other government officials when it first came to light in December.

Local media, which is highly regulated by the Saudi government, reported that the court in the city of Onaiza approved the divorce decree Thursday, and the divorce is final.

A source at the court told the Saudi daily newspaper Al-Watan that the divorce “came after a series of pleas made by a number of officials in the region to the husband.â€

The issue of child marriage has been a hot-button topic in the deeply conservative Saudi kingdom recently. While rights groups have petitioned the government for laws to protect children from such marriages, the kingdom’s top cleric has said that it’s OK for girls as young as 10 to wed.

“It is incorrect to say that it’s not permitted to marry off girls who are 15 and younger,†Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Sheikh, the kingdom’s grand mufti, said in January, according to the regional Al-Hayat newspaper. “A girl aged 10 or 12 can be married. Those who think she’s too young are wrong, and they are being unfair to her.â€
Good to see that some Saudi men are still fighting the good fight. Though, in fairness, he’s saying girls age 10 can marry. This girl is a mere TWENTY PERCENT younger than that. Plus he’s right, it’s unfair to the girl. What prepubescent girl hasn’t come of age mentally and thought, “One day, I hope to have a sweaty 50 year-old man draping his hummus-smelling balls on my chin. And by one day, I mean like, next Thursday.â€When reached for comment, the 8 year-old girl said, “Where’s my mommy? Can I do fingerpainting now?†So brave and mature in the face of such a tumultuous time.

[via]

I remember this story when it happend....I'm still quite disgusted with it although happy to hear the CHILD can resume being a CHILD.

Is this the same story or is it another one? Idk i feel like i keep reading about this.

I have strong feelings about this and the marrying a minor thing is just so wrong. It looks like the tide is turning but very very slowly.

I really can't comment without violating the TOS, so I'll leave it at that...

I can't believe people don't let children be children. In time, she'll fight to be older, but she is young and should get to be.

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Is this the same story or is it another one? Idk i feel like i keep reading about this. It's the same story, but she had previously been denied a divorce. They're just now letting her divorce him.
sleepyhead.gif
It's sick, really. That anyone in their right mind could have thought forcing an 8 year old to marry was ok in the first place...

Originally Posted by Fataliya /img/forum/go_quote.gif I really can't comment without violating the TOS, so I'll leave it at that... me too boo....
whistling.gif

This has been going on for centuries its just now that people are paying attention. The world keeps getting smaller!

Originally Posted by Ricci /img/forum/go_quote.gif Tos? TOS=Terms of Service, i.e. the rules/regs.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif Haha we did it at the same time Shaundra, LOL lol! GMTA.
smile.gif

that's very sad, i'm so happy she is free but it must be hard to just continue "being a child"

Latest posts

Back