RIP: Max Factor to Stop U.S. Sales Beginning 2010

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Procter & Gamble will stop selling its Max Factor brand of cosmetics in the U.S., the company said today.

It will continue selling the brand overseas, said spokeswoman Anitra Marsh. Max Factor sales are $1.2 billion globally, but much smaller in the U.S., she said.

In the U.S., P&G will focus on the Cover Girl cosmetics business, which has been growing for eight years, Marsh said. Cover Girl is on the verge of becoming one of P&G's billion-dollar brands, selling $966 million currently.

The global Max Factor brand grew by double-digits in P&G's 2008 fiscal year and is the fastest growing brand in P&G’s cosmetics portfolio. P&G says it is the top cosmetics brand in more than 20 countries and the No. 2 brand in the United Kingdom and Russia.

In the U.S. however, the brand only represents a small portion of P&G's overall cosmetics business.

P&G ends US Max Factor sales | Cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

That's sad, just because they've been around for so long...

I liked their Pan Stik foundation and 2,000 Calorie mascara back in the day. Haven't used anything from them recently, though...

Ive never bought anything by Max Factor but maybe when the stuff goes on sale I will. lol

that is sad because back in the 50's my mom has said it was the main makeup that she and all her friends wore along with avon.

but i've NEVER had anything from them i liked, so adios!

This is sad. The makeup of old Hollywood stars will be gone...I only like their mascaras so I won't be missing anything.

Not surprised. Their products aren't that great. They won't be missed by me.

aw , isn't max factor one of the older make up lines that was all the rage back then?

Too bad , they should've changed a lot of their product formulas , because their stuff aren't that great anymore
frown.gif

pity

CVS and Rite Aid are already phasing them out -- they are gone from our local CVS already. I was bummed -- they had a few things I liked.

I was just looking for this mascara yesterday!! I was using the one in the really fat tube that just came out. I really liked it cause it made my lashes super thick with just 1 coat. It also had the mascara wand that is the "new" plastic instead of those older bristles and the brush was stiff. I didnt even get to use it very long.

Im dissapointed
frown.gif
but I guess this means that I will get to try a lot of new mascaras
icon_neutral.gif

Born Max Faktor in Lodz, Poland during the 1870s, Max Factor is often called the father of modern makeup.

Max Factor - Early Years

With 10 children, the Faktor parents could not afford formal education for their children, so at the age of eight Max was placed in an apprenticeship to a pharmacist. Years of mixing potions for the pharmacy instilled in Max a fascination with cosmetics.

Max Factor's First Shop

Eventually, Max Factor opened his own shop in a suburb of Moscow, selling hand-made rouges, creams, fragrances, and wigs. A traveling theatrical troupe bought and wore Factor's make-up while performing for Russian nobility, and a new door to fame and fortune opened wide for Max. The Russian nobility appointed Factor the official cosmetic expert for the royal family and the Imperial Russian Grand Opera.

1904 World's Fair

In 1904, Max Factor and his family moved to the United States. He had an opportunity in St. Louis at the 1904 World's Fair, to sell his rouges and creams. Max Faktor was now Max Factor, the name given to him at Ellis Island by immigration officials.

Star-struck and Star-crossed

Life in America, had Max Factor dreaming of movie actors and actresses using his makeup and wigs. He moved his family to Los Angeles in 1908. In 1914, Max Factor created a makeup specifically for movie-actors that, unlike theatrical makeup, would not crack or cake.

Soon movie stars were filing through Max Factor's makeup studio, eager to sample the "flexible greasepaint" while producers sought Factor's human hair wigs. He allowed the wigs to be rented to the producers of old westerns on the condition that his sons were given parts as extras. His sons would keep an eye on the expensive wigs.

Max Factor Makeup

Max Factor introduced a line of cosmetics to the public in the 1920s. The advertising campaign claimed that every girl could look like a movie star by using Max Factor makeup.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Lip gloss was invented by Max Factor in 1930. His reason for this was to make lips glossy or shiny for films. Max Factor inventions include lipstick and the mascara wand. All of these inventions became common items in purses throughout the world as makeup became a mass market phenomenon.

To millions of women in all parts of the world today, the name Max Factor goes hand in hand with beauty and fashion Today, Max Factor & Co. is a division of Procter & Gamble in Hunt Valley, Maryland. Procter & Gamble (also known as P&G) brands are responsible for touching the lives of people around the world two billion times a day.

Since its official founding on January 2, 1909, Max Factor has developed countless makeup innovations. Even the word "makeup" was invented by Max Factor! Some of his innovations were the first motion picture makeup in 1914, Lip Gloss in 1930, Pan-Cake Makeup, forerunner of all modern cake makeups in 1937, Pan-Stik Makeup in 1948, Erace, the original cover-up cosmetic in 1954, and the first "waterproof" makeup in 1971.

Max Factor & Co. was founded by Max Factor, Sr., who started as a make-up man for the Royal Ballet in Czarist Russia. As a young man in 1904, he emigrated from his native country to New York. Later that same year, he moved to St. Louis, Missouri, where he opened a small perfume, makeup and hair goods concession at the St. Louis World's Fair. Four years later, the family moved to Los Angeles, California and this is where Max Factor opened his first store in the center of the city's theatrical district. Here he not only sold his own creations, but also served as the west coast distributor for both Leichner and Miner, manufacturers of two famous brands of stick greasepaint and other theatrical items.

As motion picture companies arrived and settled in California, film players naturally turned to the specialized Factor shop with their makeup problems. The company was influential in assisting the motion picture industry, and in later years, the television industry.

In years earlier than the twenties, greasepaint in stick form was the accepted makeup for the theatrical industry but could not be applied thinly enough nor were the colors suitable to work sufficiently on the screen. And so, in 1914, Max Factor perfected the first makeup specifically created for motion picture use, a thinner greasepaint in cream form, packaged in a jar and created in 12 accurate graduated shades. It was worn for the first time by actor, Henry B. Walthall, who served as the model for screen tests. With this major accomplishment to his reputation, Max Factor became legendary in makeup history.

The first retractable lip gloss was invented by Angie Parlionas in 2004. Utility patents were issued in March 2007. YOYO Lip Gloss is a fashionable retractable lip gloss that sits at the hip for easy access. The string extends up to 3 1/2 feet long and retracts back to the hip after use. The YOYO Lip Gloss Tubes and Fun Interchangeable Reels are available in 5 colors and yummy high sparkle flavors.

Makeup History

Between the years of 1910-1920 the Factor creation set two major milestones in makeup history:

First, Max Factor improved upon his original greasepaint in a jar and introduced the world's first "sanitary" makeup-greasepaint packaged in a collapsible tube-and quickly became the most popular motion picture makeup of this time.

Secondly, he invented the most important single development ever to be created for the new art of makeup, "Color Harmony," this principle was established for the first time. Certain combinations of a woman's complexion, hair and eye coloring were most effectively complemented by specific makeup shades prescribed in "Color Harmony."

Max Factor didn't forget about the men! In later years, Max Factor's invention of a self measure and chart procedure allowed bald men to order a custom made hairpiece by mail with the guarantee of a perfect fit and complete satisfaction. Also, the creation of "Flatter Wigs" allowed all women to enjoy the fashion image and flair of the Max Factor wig stylists and their realistic hairpieces.

As did everything in the twenties, makeup changed in a big way. Here are some other interesting facts in makeup history:

This was the decade of the flapper (a young woman in the 1920s who flaunted her unconventional conduct and dress) and one of her most prized possessions, the twist up lipstick and it was perfectly fine to apply it in public.

Lip gloss has been around a lot longer than you probably imagined. It was worn by actress Lillian Gish in 1928.

Metal tubes for lipstick were also introduced during this decade and of course, the popular color red and often scented with cherry. Dark burgundies and maroons were added to the shade family during these years, they were soap based and very drying.

Who really invented the first lip color? No one really knows for sure, but sources have found that both Paul Baudecroux and Hazel Bishop were credited. Baudecroux added wheat powder to a lipstick pencil and named it Rouge Baiser (red kiss). Hazel Bishop has also been credited for inventing the memerable lipstick, but it was during the 1950s.

The cost of a tube during the twenties was ten cents.

The first eyelash curler hit the market, and was extremely popular. The Kurlash was very expensive and difficult to use.

Mascara in cake and cream form was a big hit with women. Finally, women could have the lashes they always wanted.

To make the history of Max Factor & Co. complete came with the introduction of "color" motion picture and another one of his famous inventions "Pan-Cake" Makeup. In black and white films, actors' faces tended to appear green or fiery red-or any other color-on the screen. After six months of research Factor created the Pan-Cake Makeup, -"pan"-because of its small, flat, pan-like container, and "cake" because of the form in which it was made.

It was used for the first time on all members of the cast in Walter Wanger's "Vogues of 1938," starring Warner Baxter and Joan Bennett, it worked miracles. Critics singled out the makeup and raved about it in their reviews and became the standard makeup for all color motion pictures. Pan-Cake Makeup became, almost overnight, one of the fastest-growing, largest-selling, single makeup items in the history of cosmetics. Today, it is still one of the most popular cake makeup products available.

never liked their makeup ..

but i guess it will still be sold here ..right?

this is only for US.

That seems strange to me, considering the size of the US, it's almost like their cutting out half of their market. Odd.

Aww, that's sad considering the history but I don't own a darn thing from MF. LOL - MF!

Originally Posted by prettylynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was just looking for this mascara yesterday!! I was using the one in the really fat tube that just came out. I really liked it cause it made my lashes super thick with just 1 coat. It also had the mascara wand that is the "new" plastic instead of those older bristles and the brush was stiff. I didnt even get to use it very long.
Im dissapointed
frown.gif
but I guess this means that I will get to try a lot of new mascaras
icon_neutral.gif

Well, that mascara is actually Lash Blast just in a black tube. I have both and they both work the same, so you can still get the mascara.
I'm bummed about this. I really like their new lipsticks.
frown.gif

I really liked their eye shadows. they can be used wet or dry its 3 colors in a compact. I love them and have been collecting them. I'm very sad to hear.... Hopefully everything will go on sale and ill stock up.

From what I hear their products are great. I havent used anything besides the shadows though

I just found some MF eye shadow in my makeup case... maybe it will be a collectable some day? lol

Originally Posted by PhantomGoddess /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well, that mascara is actually Lash Blast just in a black tube. I have both and they both work the same, so you can still get the mascara.
I'm bummed about this. I really like their new lipsticks.
frown.gif

Thanks! I didnt know and have been wanting to try lash blast, but so far Ive only seen regular and I need waterproof. I just checked and they do make it I just havent seen any in the stores. Ill keep looking. Is the wand the same?

I noticed a lot of Max Factor in a local discount grocer, along with a bunch of Jane. I guess those who like it should start being on the lookout.

Seems like a really strange move for them to be pulling sales from the US! Is the brand not that popular over there? I wonder if the UK will follow..

Back