Do you Believe in Fate?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking about how with my uni degree, everything has pushed me to where I am, that every step I've taken has resulted in where I am today.

Anyway. I was watching some random foreign movie, and it was just a chance meeting that brought the two main characters together, but ever since that point, everything moved toward them being a couple.

So, do you believe in fate? tell me a romantic story about how you met your partner, or something that happened to you that just had to happen
smile.gif

I don't know. I don't believe in fate as in storylines written long before our birth or those three ladies (or goddesses ?) that spinned our lives like we used to do with wool.

But it's sometimes weird to look back at your life and see how random events of your life happened to be the most influencial and drove you to where you are now. My childhood cartoons were for some of them romanticised versions of mythologies, and they started my interest for the antique civilisations, Greece, Rome, Egypt (i still fantasize about being an archeologist and dig some unknown treasure in a pyramid), Mayas, Incas...

When ancient greek wasn't available in junior high, i took latin, and law wise we have inherited many things from Rome so it's useful. In my latin book was a well known picture of a "beware the dog" mosaic ("cave canem"), which i saw with my very own eyes when i visited Pompei.

What's also funny is in France, for a cop to be an investigator you have to pass an exam, and on the family pictures you can see my dad working with in one hand, his notes, and in the other his first child, which was the baby me. So in a way, i fell in the world of law at a very young age ^^ It's especially funny to notice my brother became one himself when my dad never tried to push us in that direction. I'd say on the contrary he tried to discourage us to follow his steps.

yes, that's kind of what I mean.

I've always loved history, and in high school they took us to Macquarie uni as an excursion. I thought it was the most amazing place and they showed us their ancient history museum and I fell in love.

Then when I came to choose my priorities for uni, I chose heaps of different subjects, at many different universities - child care, hotel management, ancient history, and museum studies. I wanted to get into a bachelor of ancient history most of all, but I decided that whatever I got accepted into, would be what I would do as a job. I got my second preference, museum studies, which actually turned out to be better than ancient history alone - I would have had to learn an ancient language, and I would have sucked at that!

so here I am today, doing my masters in museum studies and thinking that every step I took from highschool on, led to where I am now.

So weird!

yes, that's kind of what I mean.

I've always loved history, and in high school they took us to Macquarie uni as an excursion. I thought it was the most amazing place and they showed us their ancient history museum and I fell in love.

Then when I came to choose my priorities for uni, I chose heaps of different subjects, at many different universities - child care, hotel management, ancient history, and museum studies. I wanted to get into a bachelor of ancient history most of all, but I decided that whatever I got accepted into, would be what I would do as a job. I got my second preference, museum studies, which actually turned out to be better than ancient history alone - I would have had to learn an ancient language, and I would have sucked at that!

so here I am today, doing my masters in museum studies and thinking that every step I took from highschool on, led to where I am now.

So weird!

I can't say I believe in fate. I hate the idea of thinking my life has already been predetermined making every decision I choose insignificant.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif yes, that's kind of what I mean.

So weird!

Oh my ! Learn an ancient language ? I'm sure it's useful, but i wonder how difficult it might be, ancient means there's one alive to teach you how to properly speak the language (unless you possess a Tardis or other means of travel through time). And if i were to sound like a nerd, i'd prefer learning to speak elvish, it's way cooler lol.

well hieroglyphs were friggen HARD! I did them for a semester and then gave up! LOL

I believe in fate i guess, but i believe in being able to change it aswell. If that makes sense.

Want to learn sanskrit? My husband studied it but its yet to come in handy for him! lol

I don't believe in fate really... to a small point, maybe... I know I have said it before.. but really, overall.. No.

I def. believe in making your own fate. It would be so sad if everything was out of our hands.

but it would be so nice to meet a boy who was everything you ever wanted and was made perfectly for you like in the movies.
smile.gif

I do believe in fate, but I believe in Karma more. I remember a story a friend told me about how after her husband died, his family was so cruel to her. She was 20 years younger than him and he had a daughter the same age as my friend, and they were so mean to her. They had been together 13 years and loved each other so much, but to his family she was dirt. She was so upset she talked to the Priest at the church his family attended and he had a perspective that really helped her. He said, "God keeps a blotter, so to speak, and he keeps track. He knows what they're doing to you and in the end it will all even out. He also knows how much you loved John, and, my dear, you are already one step ahead. Be at peace."

I believe what the Priest said, so did my friend. Beware the blotter.

I don't believe in fate... More like making logical and sometimes lucky choices that got me here..

Hmm, interesting question...I do believe in fate. I'm not saying you can't influence your future or that "trying" to do something is pointless. It's just that there are some things we cannot change. There are some things that will happen no matter what we do.

I suppose it's also about faith, and faith is what helps to keep me grounded I guess. It kinda takes some of the responsibility off my shoulders which is a comforting thing. I have faith that certain things (good and bad) will happen to me. And these things will happen to help me grow as a person.

There was a time my mom went to see a good friend of hers. She's somewhat of a clairvoyant you can say...She told my mom that I'm going to be a handful of trouble (I was about 4 at the time) I'm not going to end up being rich...or marry rich...but I will be content and happy with whatever money I have to get by. The lady said I would see many faces and places...and my SO will not be from here. I'm like huh? Not from here? Does this mean he's an alien from outer space? lol, at the time I never understood. Maybe she meant out of the country...but I kind of find that hard to believe that I would fall in love with someone not from the US. Long distance is hard enough as it is...

20 yrs has passed since I remember seeing my mom's friend, and I've been working on/off for the past couple of yrs. I change jobs frequently...For the record, I've had 14 different jobs within the past 9 yrs. For some reason I can't seem to stay in one place! I guess that's where "seeing many faces" come into play...lol. I have yet to see the world yet! That's sort of in the making...Only been to 9 states out of 50! International, I only went to China/Hong Kong. I want to eventually do a road trip and make my way to Europe and Australia
smile.gif

As for my love life...bleh! I've been dating for the past 5+ yrs and so far I don't think I've found "Mr Right" just yet. Interesting story, I was playing this online game (yes I'm a nerd) lol, and started talking to this guy Drew. He's from Australia, and we have been talking online for 3.5 yrs. We pretty much know about each others lives...from friends/family to disaster dates, embarrassing stories, hook ups/break ups, what we had for lunch/dinner, etc...basically, we can talk about everything and anything. Finally, one day he's like "guess what?" I'm coming to NYC! I'm like "LIES! I don't believe you" and he sends me an email with the airline confirmation number and ticket. I'm like wow...he's finally coming to visit and I'm going to stuck with him for 3 wks...dammit, now what? LOL. At first, I thought it'll be weird meeting in person for the first time, like there would be an awkward silence between us or something...but we had no problem conversing at all! It's as if I knew him for a long time and he just so happened to be visiting.

We did so much the 2 wks here (in terms of site seeing) Kind of ironic since I lived in NYC my whole life and I never went to see the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, A baseball game at Yankees stadium! and I did all that in a week that he was here! We even went to see Phantom of the Opera musical on Broadway...lol. We ended up going to California for 3 days. Went to Universal Studios, Hollywood's Walk of Fame, and even Disneyland! lmao...Drew was like "had I visited 15 yrs ago, I would've enjoyed it more" but you're NEVER too old for Disney. Tbh, he enjoyed it MORE than I did since he kept singing "It's a Small world" and "Zippidy Doo Dah" by the end of the day! He even ended up buying a Mickey Mouse Cap...hilarious! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Although he was here for 3 wks, it seemed like a month! However, when it was time for him to take his flight back to Sydney I was sad to see him go, but I would never admit it to him...lol. Who else is going to laugh at my corny jokes when he's not around...who's going to stay up til 5am and watch Family Guy with me? Who else would I stay up late just to watch Crocodile Dundee with? lol. he did say that he'll try and come back in 6 months. So whether or not 'fate' came into play, I think we'd still be BESTIES even if he's not "the one" I told him I'll go visit Sydney in Jan/Feb when I have enough money saved up in my bank account. We made a pact that if neither of us gets married in 5 yrs, we'd just get hitched in Vegas. (yea we're crazy like that) Although getting hitched might be a problem since he's not a US citizen...lol

Sorry for the long post. I've been MIA for a bit (hehe) but I'm back :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

lol! Wow angel, that story was amazing and I enjoyed reading every word.

I can relate to your story - I've been to a few psychics over the last 6 years, and each of them has said the same thing without any prompting from me -

That going overseas would be a trip that I must and will take

that I will marry my soulmate

I will have 2 children

I will become well known/successful in my industry

Now, sure, you could say that they read my body language, or I gave something away, or who knows - but it's just weird that 3+ strangers have said the same thing.

Add to that, my SISTER went to a psychic, she'd never seen me before, nor did my sister say anything other than admitting she had a sister. The woman described me perfectly, and went on to say pretty much exactly the same thing as the psychics I've seen myself.

Fate? Destiny? Aura? who knows?

Originally Posted by banapple /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol like serendipity?!
I don't believe in fate, because I'm too realistic
frown.gif

haha, I used to have a crush on John Cusack. Funny I haven't seen that movie before.

We did go to Serendipity's for dessert and bumped into Naomi Campbell. Good thing she wasn't in a bad mood and start throwing a cell phone at us. lol
lol.gif

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol! Wow angel, that story was amazing and I enjoyed reading every word.
I can relate to your story - I've been to a few psychics over the last 6 years, and each of them has said the same thing without any prompting from me -

That going overseas would be a trip that I must and will take

that I will marry my soulmate

I will have 2 children

I will become well known/successful in my industry

Now, sure, you could say that they read my body language, or I gave something away, or who knows - but it's just weird that 3+ strangers have said the same thing.

Add to that, my SISTER went to a psychic, she'd never seen me before, nor did my sister say anything other than admitting she had a sister. The woman described me perfectly, and went on to say pretty much exactly the same thing as the psychics I've seen myself.

Fate? Destiny? Aura? who knows?

Wow, that is interesting. I haven't actually been to a real psychic, but for 3 of them saying the same thing is kinda eerie!

Perhaps you should take a trip overseas and see how that will work out for ya!
smile.gif

I never really thought about having kids...everyone keeps saying I'll have twins since it runs in the family. My grandma is a twin. My mom's cousin and my dad's cousin had twins. It's kind of ironic since Drew is the only left handed in the family...and I'm the only left handed in my family.

I believe in Karma more too! What goes around, really comes around. True story and happened twice to me! Hahaha..

Back