Question for the MUT moms

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok first of all I hope nobdy is weirded out by my question! Although I´m definitely not having kids before I turn about 30 (my fiancé wants them sooner, but I´m strongly against that lol) I think about pregnancy and delivery a lot. I plan every big decision in my life, so I want everything figured out and have all the informations I need before I´m knocked up
laughing.gif

Question: What is worse for your boobs? Breastfeeding, the pregnancy itself or a combination of both? I know everybody´s body is different, but I just wanna hear some opinions.

Question #2: For those of you that had a planned c-section (which is what I´m leaning towards having myself), is it true that you get this pouch of fat about your C-section scar that you can´t get rid of? Like, you´ll have this piece of fat roll that´s hanging over the scar.

My fiancé says he doesn´t want me to get a planned c-section because he thinks the scars are so ugly! When I did my gynaecology internships the fresh scars I saw were actually very small and subtle. So I don´t understand why somebody would find that ugly.

As far as the first question goes, a lot of people believe breastfeeding creates sagging but it's actually from breast changes in pregnancy. I have breastfed three kids and my boobs are still good.

For the second, I have heard that as well about the pouch. I have not had any c-sections though. I would look into the risks of a c-section for the mom and baby though before electing major surgery.

It sounds to me like you are trying to minimize the amount of changes to your body from pregnancy, but really there is only so much you can do.

Leticia's right about the boob thing. I breastfed and there's nothing wrong with mine but they definitely don't feel as full as before. Kinda sucks bc I had my son when I was 17 so it was like they peaked and I cut it off early lol.

I didn't have a C-section but I'd be less concerned about the leftover scar and more worried about the stretchmarks. I had my son in mid August and didn't see a mark until the 8th month. I really got huge then and the heat didn't help any. I swelled up bad. Lots of leftover stretchmarks.

But believe me, no matter how much you try to plan and keep you body intact, mother nature is stronger and after you have that baby, you'll see some of those dreaded permanent changes as badges of motherhood. Your fiance may consider that scar gross but it'll be the last thing on your mind when you wake up 4 times a night to a hungry baby lol.

i breast fed and my boobs still look pretty good. they are actually a little bit bigger!And as far as the whole sagging goes i think it depends on how big your boobs are prepregnany and how old you are when you get pregnant. because if your boobs are already starting to go south then they're proably going to sag more than a younger mother's would. either way your boobs are going to change,get bigger and stretch while being preggers. just use coco butter!!

About the C-section question, id have to agree with internetchick. That is considered a major surgery and is more risky than vaginal delivery. but ive heard that the scars now adays arent really all that visable.

best of luck

I had 2 c-sections... the first was an emergency, and my scar is soo tiny, and barely noticeable. I do have a tiny stomach pooch, but I kind of had one to begin with. I honestly think it would go away very easily if I tried... I remember Nury saying she had 3 c-sections, and didn't get a stomach pooch. Anyway, I was very happy with my c-sections.

My boobs are the same as they were... actually bigger, but I didn't nurse.. one of the biggest regrets I have. Nursing is better for the baby, and I just wish I was more educated about it. If I have another baby, I am definitely nursing.. I will try like hell anyway.

When I got pregnant, I had a c section. The horizontal line was cut about an inch below the top of my hair line.

As a result it is not even noticeable.

I did get a ridge of excess skin though - maybe one day I'll have a tummy tuck and get it taken care of.

As far as my breast health, I went from the size of an orange to the size of a canatalope, as soon as I started breastfeed. The pregnancy had nothing to do with that change. After I stopped breastfeeding, my breasts dropped and look horribly pendulous.

I ended up having a breast reduction about 5 years after I had my son.

If I can offer any advice - you are the one who is delivering the child - make sure you do what is best for you. I remember that my husband was somewhat ticked that I didn't have a vaginal birth. Too bad for him - I was the one going that carried my son for nine months and then delivered him - my body my choice.

thanks for the replies everyone. I am definitely very concerned about being one of the unlucky females who´s body changes drastically. I have my mom´s body and metabolism, and her body looks very good for having had two kids and having breastfed them both. So I can only hope I will turn out the same. I´m very critical of my body already, so I´m scared of the possibility of hating it after I´ve had kids. That´s why I wanna make sure I have the $ for possible plastic surgery.

I know it may sound vain to people who have already had kids, because obviously it´s been worth it. But for me the story is different. I know a c-section is major surgery, but both vaginal and c-section have their benefits and downsides. I will look more into it from the medical standpoint and then make my decision...I have years to decide after all lol

Also, I actually don´t want to breastfeed. I was breastfed as a baby, but for some reason I think of the whole act as gross and can´t see myself ever doing it. I can´t explain why I feel that way. But then again my fiancé is a type 1 diabetic, which breastfeeding is a protective factor for....so I guess I´ll have to for the sake of the baby..maybe I can pump the breastmilk?

Everybody tells me to not already worry about all these things now, cause I definitely won´t be having kids for another 5 years. But I can´t help worrying cause I´m so torn about the idea of pregnancy and having kids. I want to, but then again I kinda don´t want to lol. I´m crazy!

Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif But believe me, no matter how much you try to plan and keep you body intact, mother nature is stronger and after you have that baby, you'll see some of those dreaded permanent changes as badges of motherhood. Your fiance may consider that scar gross but it'll be the last thing on your mind when you wake up 4 times a night to a hungry baby lol. lol very true. I´m like how can you find a tiny c-section scar gross when the entire back of my right hand is covered in a severe scar (I burnt my hand when I was two years old) which you don´t find gross?

I breast fed both of my kids for 2 years+ and it didn't really affect my breasts. The pregnancies did more than anything. I'm a huge advocate of breast feeding because of the benefits of it. Has anyone ever looked at the ingredients in a formula? It's not good stuff, I would want my babies to have immature systems and intestines to have to deal with.

I also got stretch marks and for all the moms I've talked to, there really isn't around that. Almost every woman gets stretch marks from a pregnancy no matter what you do. I would be concerned with the C-section because of the breathing problems that have been linked with babies born via C-section versus natural delivery and also the fact that you are limited to certain number of children once you deliver via C-section due to risk of vaginal ruptures. I delivered naturally (vaginal, no pain medication) both of my kids so I guess I'm bias for natural deliveries. I couldn't wait to have my children and neither could my husband so for us any body changes that my body was going through we both celebrated. I couldn't wait to hold my babies so the last think on my mind was how my body was going to look after I had them. The stretch marks I have now and the little pooch I have from my stomach being stretched out are what I call "war wounds" from having kids and I'm happy and proud of them.

Your thinking also might change as you get older. The only reason I say that is because mine did. I wanted to look my best prior to the kids in my early twenties but once I was ready to have kids, I didn't care what my body was going to look like after the pregnancy and I still don't. It never even crosses my mind. I'm just grateful for having to had the chance of going through pregnancy twice which I absolutely loved as well as our beautiful and healthy children we have today.

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif I breast fed both of my kids for 2 years+ and it didn't really affect my breasts. The pregnancies did more than anything. I'm a huge advocate of breast feeding because of the benefits of it. Has anyone ever looked at the ingredients in a formula? It's not stuff, I would want my babies immature systems and intestines to have to deal with.
I also got stretch marks and for all the moms I've talked to, there really isn't around that. Almost every woman gets stretch marks from a pregnancy no matter what you do. I would be concerned with the C-section because of the breathing problems that have been linked with babies born via C-section versus natural delivery and also the fact that you are limited to certain number of children once you deliver via C-section due to risk of vaginal ruptures. I delivered naturally (vaginal, no pain medication) both of my kids so I guess I'm bias for natural deliveries. I couldn't wait to have my children and neither could my husband so for us any body changes that my body was going through we both celebrated. I couldn't wait to hold my babies so the last think on my mind was how my body was going to look after I had them. The stretch marks I have now and the little pooch I have from my stomach being stretched out are what I call "war wounds" from having kids and I'm happy and proud of them.

Your thinking also might change as you get older. The only reason I say that is because mine did. I wanted to look my best prior to the kids in my early twenties but once I was ready to have kids, I didn't care what my body was going to look like after the pregnancy and I still don't. It never even crosses my mind. I'm just grateful for having to had the chance of going through pregnancy twice which I absolutely loved as well as our beautiful and healthy children we have today.

worship.gif

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif I breast fed both of my kids for 2 years+ and it didn't really affect my breasts. The pregnancies did more than anything. I'm a huge advocate of breast feeding because of the benefits of it. Has anyone ever looked at the ingredients in a formula? It's not stuff, I would want my babies immature systems and intestines to have to deal with.

Totally agree!!!I was just super happy to have my children and breast feeding them was a wonderful experiance.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif I breast fed both of my kids for 2 years+ and it didn't really affect my breasts. The pregnancies did more than anything. I'm a huge advocate of breast feeding because of the benefits of it. Has anyone ever looked at the ingredients in a formula? It's not good stuff, I would want my babies to have immature systems and intestines to have to deal with.

I guess you meant the uterus scars you have after a c-section? Sometimes that means you can´t deliver vaginally anymore. And yes you are limited to a certain amount of pregancies, but that won´t be a problem cause I only want two kids max.
I also think my views will change as I get older, at least I hope so! And hopefully those crazy pregnancy hormones will do the rest. I just really can´t see it now...other girls my age (I´m turning 25 soon) seem to already have a ticking biological clock, but not me! Also, I´m just not as "maternal" as some of my girlfriends are, who always knew that they´ll have kids and are excited about being pregnant and breastfeeding.

I on the other hand always said that I woul never have kids until like 2 years ago. And I wished someone else could be pregnant for me and then just hand me the baby when it´s born LOL

I definitely know about all the advantages of breastfeeding, that´s why I do feel very bad saying I don´t want to breastfeed, even though I should. I guess it´s somewhat egoistic but I can´t help feeling that way about it. I will definitely try pumping, but I have no clue how well that works

I wouldn´t even be thinking about this if I didn´t know that my fiancé claims to be ready for kids. We both know it´s not a good idea, but he says if we were financially stable, married, and actually living in the same country he would be more than ready and he can´t wait to be a dad. And he says he wants to have his first kid at age 30 at the lastest, and 30 is the earliest age I can live with! So there´s a dilemma there. Every time he talks about it I´m like "nonono, no kids for another 5 years at least" and he´s always really upset lol

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif I definitely know about all the advantages of breastfeeding, that´s why I do feel very bad saying I don´t want to breastfeed, even though I should. I guess it´s somewhat egoistic but I can´t help feeling that way about it. I will definitely try pumping, but I have no clue how well that works I've thought about this a lot too, especially since me and my bf are thinking about trying for a baby soon, I'm pretty set on the pump thing, I haven't looked into it yet though but I feel the same way about breastfeeding as you do. I absolutely don't want to use formula unless I have to but I also don't want to have to naturally breast feed. I hope pumping works! haha
I'm also in between on having a c-section or giving birth vaginally, I'm leaning towards vaginally more and more though but definitely not without LOADS of pain killers lol my bf also thinks c-section scars a gross and I've heard/read about the problems women have with giving birth that way.

I too am somewhat freaking out about what my body will look like afterward, I have stretch marks from puberty on my hips that really aren't noticeable but that definitely freaks me out if I'm going to have them on my stomach. I was planning on getting a breast augmentation this year actually but now that's on hold since we're considering having a baby so if my boobs don't go back to normal after, then I'll just go ahead with that and get them pumped up again. lol I already told my bf that I want to lose at least 25lbs before we start trying because I 'think' that if I get in really good shape and lose that much then I'll gain what I lost back during the pregnancy and that will prevent me from getting more stretch marks lol we'll see how well that works out.

Originally Posted by -Chelsey- /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've thought about this a lot too, especially since me and my bf are thinking about trying for a baby soon, I'm pretty set on the pump thing, I haven't looked into it yet though but I feel the same way about breastfeeding as you do. I absolutely don't want to use formula unless I have to but I also don't want to have to naturally breast feed. I hope pumping works! haha
I'm also in between on having a c-section or giving birth vaginally, I'm leaning towards vaginally more and more though but definitely not without LOADS of pain killers lol my bf also thinks c-section scars a gross and I've heard/read about the problems women have with giving birth that way.

I too am somewhat freaking out about what my body will look like afterward, I have stretch marks from puberty on my hips that really aren't noticeable but that definitely freaks me out if I'm going to have them on my stomach. I was planning on getting a breast augmentation this year actually but now that's on hold since we're considering having a baby so if my boobs don't go back to normal after, then I'll just go ahead with that and get them pumped up again. lol I already told my bf that I want to lose at least 25lbs before we start trying because I 'think' that if I get in really good shape and lose that much then I'll gain what I lost back during the pregnancy and that will prevent me from getting more stretch marks lol we'll see how well that works out.

yeah getting in shape sounds like a good plan. If you´re in excellent shape before pregnancy and then do some light exercising during pregnancy and don´t eat for 3 lol then you should be fine. I´m pretty sure I will have a boob job after my babies cause I need to have good boobs. They are good now but I think they will end up very deflated which I can´t live with.I also talked to two other girls who have these weird feelings about breastfeeding, and neither of them can explain why they feel that way. So we´re definitely not alone! I have seen two vaginal births up close during an internship and even though I never get grossed out I was really grossed out. Just the thought of having your vagina look like a warzone freaks me out, and it also seems kinda unnatural to me. Geez, I am so un-maternal, or at least unusual.

Oh and I also have some stretchmarks on my hips and the top of my butt, but that doesn´t really bother me cause almost every female has them in these spots. But I definitely don´t want any on my stomach! But since I wanna be a dermatologist at least I´ll know what to do to get rid of them hopefully

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ok first of all I hope nobdy is weirded out by my question! Although I´m definitely not having kids before I turn about 30 (my fiancé wants them sooner, but I´m strongly against that lol) I think about pregnancy and delivery a lot. I plan every big decision in my life, so I want everything figured out and have all the informations I need before I´m knocked up
laughing.gif

Question: What is worse for your boobs? Breastfeeding, the pregnancy itself or a combination of both? I know everybody´s body is different, but I just wanna hear some opinions.

Question #2: For those of you that had a planned c-section (which is what I´m leaning towards having myself), is it true that you get this pouch of fat about your C-section scar that you can´t get rid of? Like, you´ll have this piece of fat roll that´s hanging over the scar.

My fiancé says he doesn´t want me to get a planned c-section because he thinks the scars are so ugly! When I did my gynaecology internships the fresh scars I saw were actually very small and subtle. So I don´t understand why somebody would find that ugly.

Question 1: Both. While breasfeeding is great for the baby, it does absolutely nothing for you. They sag and you get stretch marks. Plus, they hurt like hell if you don't release some milk in between feedings. During pregnancy, it's not as bad. Just a little sore.
Question 2: My mom and some friends have had c-section and the scar isn't that bad. Eventually, it fades into a silvery line. As for the fat, well, I'm in pretty good shape (I do cardio and weights). But I can't for the life of me get rid of the pouch. I guess if didn't have anything better to do except to exercise, I would probably get rid of it! LOL

Originally Posted by pinkbundles /img/forum/go_quote.gif Question 1: Both. While breasfeeding is great for the baby, it does absolutely nothing for you. They sag and you get stretch marks. Plus, they hurt like hell if you don't release some milk in between feedings. During pregnancy, it's not as bad. Just a little sore.
Question 2: My mom and some friends have had c-section and the scar isn't that bad. Eventually, it fades into a silvery line. As for the fat, well, I'm in pretty good shape (I do cardio and weights). But I can't for the life of me get rid of the pouch. I guess if didn't have anything better to do except to exercise, I would probably get rid of it! LOL

Reduces the risk of breast cancer. Women who breastfeed reduce their risk of developing breast cancer by as much as 25 percent. The reduction in cancer risk comes in proportion to the cumulative lifetime duration of breastfeeding. That is, the more months or years a mother breastfeeds, the lower her risk of breast cancer.

Reduces the risk of uterine and ovarian cancer. One of the reasons for the cancer-fighting effects of breastfeeding is that estrogen levels are lower during lactation. It is thought that the less estrogen available to stimulate the lining of the uterus and perhaps breast tissue also, the less the risk of these tissues becoming cancerous.

Lessens osteoporosis. Non-breastfeeding women have a four times greater chance of developing osteoporosis than breastfeeding women and are more likely to suffer from hip fractures in the post-menopausal years.

Benefits child spacing. Since breastfeeding delays ovulation, the longer a mother breastfeeds the more she is able to practice natural childspacing, if she desires. How long a woman remains infertile depends on her baby's nursing pattern and her own individual baby.

Promotes emotional health. Not only is breastfeeding good for mother's body, it's good for her mind. Studies show that breastfeeding mothers show less postpartum anxiety and depression than do formula-feeding mothers.

Promotes postpartum weight loss. Breastfeeding mothers showed significantly larger reductions in hip circumference and more fat loss by one month postpartum when compared with formula-feeding moms. Breastfeeding mothers tend to have an earlier return to their pre-pregnant weight.

Costs less to breastfeed. It costs around $1,200 a year to formula-feed your baby. Even taking into consideration the slight increase in food costs to a breastfeeding mother, the American Academy of Pediatrics estimates that a breastfeeding mother will save around $400 during the first year of breastfeeding.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T020700.asp

That was from the first site that came up when googled breastfeeding benefits for mothers...

I was totally obsessed with my body prior to preg/bf and even though I always thought other preg women looked gorgeous whilst carrying I looked in mirror and saw something else.

Your body changes, but i have a feeling you will be one of those stunning mothers who you see in those gorgeous preg belly photos.
smile.gif

I have 2 children, 1st was natural drug free birth 2nd was a planned c-sect (by doctors orders). My scar is visable but not horrible. I was cut and closed by a laser. I think the pouch (horrible word for it) severity depends on alot of things, if its purely excess skin then that is very hard/ner impossible to get rid of. If its fat with skin then as you lose weight your skin tends to tighten up. But that is depending on your elasticity left in your skin -which goes away with age-.

Breastfeeding is a wonderful choice to make and while i am huge supporter of it I wouldn't want to make you feel bad about your choices.

The actual act of breastfeeding for myself didn't hurt at all. The first latching on was a bit tricky but after the 3rd time no pain. I did get mastitis with my first child though but that pain is managable and short.
smile.gif
I also think that was because of an ill fitting bra.

About the breast changes, at first its as if you have had a boob job
smile.gif
(new mummy breasts) they look great. After b/f they aren't as full but they aren't sagging down near your knees or anything either lol. If anything was going to change the look of my breast im glad it was preg/bf. Time/age will get to them eventually !

I have to chime in again. I did breastfeed and it was a good experience.

But I did not lose an ounce for the 14 or so weeks I did it.

It hurt like hell - my nipples always felt raw. In fact, they became scabby and I had no choice but to gently pull off the skin, exposing even sorer nipples.

I was also aware that there are many benefits to the mom. One was it helped my uterus heal faster.

I have to question the idea of using breastfeeding as a means of birth control.

I took no chances and got another IUD in as fast as I could.

As far as the c section scar - mine is a very thin silvery line, and it's below the hair line so it can't be seen very easily.

Breastfeeding for me was a good experience as well. These days they have breastfeeding coaches that are very patient and show you how to do it the right way. Yes, no matter whether you pump it, or you let the baby latch on, it is gonna hurt the first few tries. But once you relieve pressure off the breasts, it will be ok. My breasts did not initially sag, a good supporting bra with help with that. Andi if you are not going to breastfeed, then please get a breast binder that will help the breasts not to sag, and it will help make the milk disappear because no matter what, they are going to hurt. Imagine going up 2 cup sizes post-surgical, they are huge, they are hard, they are perky LOL

Breastfeeding for me kept my weight off as well. Because I know for a fact that the mother is supposed to consume healthy foods at a higher intake postpartum, so that the baby will get proper calories, Hence why breastfed babies are larger than formula fed babies. Because they get damn near all the mother's calories and fat from the breast. Its a medical proven fact that breastfeeding burns 600 calories a day. That is equal to 2 hours of cardio exercise.

As a mother-to-be, I would say that your boobs are the first to change when you conceive. They will feel loose and large before you even begin breastfeeding. To keep them from sagging too much, always wear a supportive bra but never have it on too tight. It keeps them youthful.

As far as C-sections..I don't plan on having one (what will be, will be) but my sister has had one and her scar is barely noticeable and so low that you don't see it unless you're looking for it---inside her underwear. The only unfortunate result of having one is her not being able to feel that she has to urinate as soon as her bladder fills..she feels it closer to the point where she may urinate herself. Plus, you take longer to heal, it's much harder to move, and you risk giving birth a second time vaginally. Most doctors will help you if you choose to go naturally after C-section.

Originally Posted by Ozee /img/forum/go_quote.gif I was totally obsessed with my body prior to preg/bf and even though I always thought other preg women looked gorgeous whilst carrying I looked in mirror and saw something else.
Your body changes, but i have a feeling you will be one of those stunning mothers who you see in those gorgeous preg belly photos.
smile.gif

I have 2 children, 1st was natural drug free birth 2nd was a planned c-sect (by doctors orders). My scar is visable but not horrible. I was cut and closed by a laser. I think the pouch (horrible word for it) severity depends on alot of things, if its purely excess skin then that is very hard/ner impossible to get rid of. If its fat with skin then as you lose weight your skin tends to tighten up. But that is depending on your elasticity left in your skin -which goes away with age-.

Breastfeeding is a wonderful choice to make and while i am huge supporter of it I wouldn't want to make you feel bad about your choices.

The actual act of breastfeeding for myself didn't hurt at all. The first latching on was a bit tricky but after the 3rd time no pain. I did get mastitis with my first child though but that pain is managable and short.
smile.gif
I also think that was because of an ill fitting bra.

About the breast changes, at first its as if you have had a boob job
smile.gif
(new mummy breasts) they look great. After b/f they aren't as full but they aren't sagging down near your knees or anything either lol. If anything was going to change the look of my breast im glad it was preg/bf. Time/age will get to them eventually !

I had no idea they use laser during c-section now. I watched a couple of c-sections but they didn´t use laser in either of the hospitals, but I´m sure that might be a European thing. We do use laser in other surgeries.Oh yeah, from what I hear/see, your boobs look great when you´re pregnant. I am definitely looking forward to having big boobs! I´m not uncomfortable thinking about the first two trimesters of pregnancy. That is unless I get horrible morning sickness. I think a little baby bump is cute+huge boobs are a nice extra. But then when you start looking like a whale, everything is swollen...ugh not so much. I guess nothing in life has only benefits
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif Andi if you are not going to breastfeed, then please get a breast binder that will help the breasts not to sag, and it will help make the milk disappear because no matter what, they are going to hurt. Imagine going up 2 cup sizes post-surgical, they are huge, they are hard, they are perky LOL
Breastfeeding for me kept my weight off as well. Because I know for a fact that the mother is supposed to consume healthy foods at a higher intake postpartum, so that the baby will get proper calories, Hence why breastfed babies are larger than formula fed babies. Because they get damn near all the mother's calories and fat from the breast. Its a medical proven fact that breastfeeding burns 600 calories a day. That is equal to 2 hours of cardio exercise.

breast binder...taking notes. Never heard of it. Is this like those things they wrap around a woman´s chest after she has a boob job?

Latest posts

Back