Acne ):

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So last week, all of a sudden i broke out, and have 6 pimples on my cheek...I was just wondering what I can do to stop breaking out, and what are some good treatments for acne. And also, are there any ways I can get rid of my acne scars? Cause i've had them for a REALLY long time...some of them are severe, but most of them aren't.

Thanks

Have you tried a search ? Here are a few threads you might find helpful.

How to get rid of acne scars

Acne tips, talks and more

Apple cider vinegar

Aspirin mask

First, you should try to identify the cause of your sudden acne, could be hormonal, could be bacteria, could be allergy to a new product you put on your face. If you're only dealing with those spots imo the simplest would be a spot treatment, you can use tea tree oil, lavender, some like to rub an aspirin tablet on their spot. You can try putting a bandaid on your spot and leave it all night, it considerably helps in reducing it if not making it disappear. It's worth looking ridiculous.

I still deal with acne and my face has also become more sensitive over the years, so i use gentle products, i like to lavender floral water as a toner, lavender essential as a spot treatment, i frequently do masks (green clay especially is fantastic). Wearign a sunscreen is also very important, never leave your house without !

It's too soon to tell if it works but lately i've been putting lemon juice on my face, and it seems to help fading my acne scars. For the most severe though, you may have to ask a dermatologist.

Ive been battling with acnes for since I'm 14 years old.My skin was the clearest n smoothest last year when I took Accutane ( 20 mg) for 5 months.Letely I broke out again due to the climate change and possibly due to the MAP pill too.Im going to be on 2nd round accutane again soon, because nothing had helped me for the past 3 months ( tons of antibiotics, Cetaphil.)

Blah I'm so sorry to hear that, I know how it feels like to have a sudden eruption of pimples! Right now I use acne treatments by Clearcell, which is a salicylic treatment, but with a higher concentration than that of over the counter products. It's really helpful and clears my skin quickly. The downside though, is that it is really strong and dries out my skin a little. But when the amount and frequency is controlled well, it is not so much a problem. Hope that helps!

i agree with magosienne...identify the cause first as well as your skin type, if its sensitive try using cetaphil as a face wash or biore ice cleanser if its oily--its a lil more expensive but def. worth it and watever u do don't pop it , but noticing the pattern/cause of them is very imp. in treating them....because it could just be stress or pms symptoms in which case a spot treatment is good otherwise if u have oily skin---get that under control fast because it mite lead to more breakouts....consulting a derm is prob best

I will say I battled acne for a very long time, since I was 13. It was hormonal, but the birth controls I tried over the years actually made the situation worse. Over the years I did course of antibiotics, but it made me feel sick most of the time, so when I was around 20, I was actually set to go on Accutane. It was never severe, just persistent. I switched birth control pills, to Yasmin. My skin cleared right up. I have been on for two years consistently, and it has been a god send. So has taking preventative measures such as a cleanser with SA or BHA (I am allergic to benzoyl peroxide) and using Healthy Skin Face Lotion with AHA. That is the only thing that keeps my skin clear. So, when it comes to figuring out the cause of your acne, it's all trial and error. Usually in women it's hormonal, but everyone is different.

As for scars, anything AHA and Retin-A work quite well from what I have noticed.

Originally Posted by bronze_chiqz /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ive been battling with acnes for since I'm 14 years old.My skin was the clearest n smoothest last year when I took Accutane ( 20 mg) for 5 months.Letely I broke out again due to the climate change and possibly due to the MAP pill too.Im going to be on 2nd round accutane again soon, because nothing had helped me for the past 3 months ( tons of antibiotics, Cetaphil.) Hi, I was just wondering.. Was Accutane worth it? It obviously worked for you. But I'm hearing so many side effects and I want to know if it's worth all that. I just recently started taking Accutane (yesterday.. haha), and the whole blurred vision and back pains are kinda scaring me. Did you have those? Also, I heard it makes your skin less oily.. How was your experience with Accutane?

I have also struggled with acne since approx 15 y.o. I've tried everything from topical solutions, many rounds of anti-biotics, Retin A, Accutance (DANGER!), Proactiv, etc. Right now I'm using Dermalogica special cleansing solution and multi-active toner, and a moisturizer by Aveda. For spot treatments I swear by Zapzyt Ance Treatment Gel. Lastly, the aspirin mask. I love it and it's dirt cheap.

Originally Posted by b3rly /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi, I was just wondering.. Was Accutane worth it? It obviously worked for you. But I'm hearing so many side effects and I want to know if it's worth all that. I just recently started taking Accutane (yesterday.. haha), and the whole blurred vision and back pains are kinda scaring me. Did you have those? Also, I heard it makes your skin less oily.. How was your experience with Accutane? In the past year, L'Oreal had a thread that covered her entire experience on accutane. She and other muters contributed to it. Use the search forum button to find it.

If you can find Dr. Woods black soap buy it! This stuff cleared my acne that I have been battling with for a year. I know it must be hormonal, but this stuff really works!!! Its pretty cheap and all natural....after only one week you will see results seriously...i love this stuff!!! You might need to an oil free moisturizer though because i did notice that it can dry out some spots if you are combo skin....

I used to use 2.5% benzoyl peroxide - On-The-Spot by Neutrogena, but there are other more economical options out there.

AHA is also great for small spot treatments. Try pure aloe vera as well.

Well my acne's gotten worse and worse, and now i'm starting to get alittle worried. The pimples won't go away, and i'm starting to get alot more acne scars. Am I getting scars because i'm popping them? And what are some helpful treatments that are a little hepful that I can buy at like CVS or longs drugs

Thanks alot you guys !

Sweetie, never pop or pick at your pimples. They will leave nasty marks. I wish I listened to that along time ago.

frown.gif

My mom told me she wants to take me to the dermatologist, but I think it costs too much, and I feel bad having my mom pay for that.

It may, but consulting a doctor allows you to have a pro's opinion, and if the derm thinks it necessary, he can prescribe drugs and suggest products adapted for you. I think you can try it once and see what comes out of it.

NOOOOO Accutane and NO benzoyl peroxide.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way, here's what you need to do:

1. Wash your face with a GENTLE non-foaming, non-creamy cleanser (think 'gel' or other liquid that doesn't contain soap) that contains salicylic acid. Skin Actives Scientific makes a FABULOUS Salicylic Wash that's very affordable. skin care, actives, skin care product, natural skin care, serious skin care, organic skin care, skin care information

2. Use a BHA treatment gel or light lotion. Paula's Choice is good. 2% BHA Gel.

3. FEED your skin. Again, I will refer you to Skin Actives (skin care, actives, skin care product, natural skin care, serious skin care, organic skin care, skin care information) for their Marine Nutrient Serum (MNS) which comes in a 1 oz. bottle. To this you should add 1/4 teaspoon White Willow Bark extract (you can also purchase White Willow Bark extract from Skin Actives -- both very reasonably priced).

4. Moisturize. Use a LIGHT oil-free moisturizer that contains some anti-oxidants. BareMinerals BareVitamins would be perfect. Sephora: Bare Escentuals bareVitamins - Skin Rev-er Upper: Skin Revitalizers

5. Treat your blemishes. Once again, I have to go to Skin Actives. They sell a product called Zitender. It does just what it says, it ends zits.

(Okay, I know you're thinking I work for SA. Believe me, I don't. I had BAD problem skin for years -- I'm well into my 30's -- and then I found Skin Actives back in 2006. Since then, I get non-stop compliments on my skin, so I just know their stuff works and doesn't cost a fortune. That makes me happy and it makes me want to spread the word.)

6. During the day, finish with an oil-free (powder) sunscreen. Peter Thomas Roth's (PTR) Powder SPF 30 will do the trick. It's waterproof, and the product lasts a good long time. PTR Powder SPF 30

Repeat the first four steps at night. Add step five if you have blemishes.

If you're still breaking out after one month of following this regimen, your problem might be dietary or hormonal, at which point you'll need to visit a physician for an in-depth diagnosis. By the way, I found out that non-organic cow's milk was giving me cystic acne -- the hormones are HORRIBLE for your skin. If you're a milk drinker, switch to non-GMO organic milk. It'll help.

Good luck!!!
smile.gif

As you can probably tell by all of the previous posts, treating acne is something that works differently for everyone. I had AWFUL acne in highschool and nothing that the dermatologist gave me worked. Retin A Micro and Tazorac just made my skin icnredibly oily. Here is my secret and piece of advice- use a gently face wash. Cetaphil is AMAZING. It cleanses without putting tons of drying acne treatments on your skin that will irritate it. Acne scars go away eventually- my Dermatologist told me scar medicine is a rip off!

There are acne scars and then there are acne scars.

Acne scars from cystic acne do not go away. They may diminish over the years, but not entirely.

I had cystic acne from age 11 to today - I'm 45.

I had dermabrasion - plastic surgery - when I was 36. Unfortunately, a few of the pock marks remain but most of the scars were removed.

If one has a "red mark" from a long gone pimple, then I agree that it will fade eventually.

However, if I were the one that had it, I would be concerned and would want it gone right away.

Maybe instead of going to a derm, a make up artist might be where one should go - to teach camouflage makeup, so at least while the marks disappear, the skin looks great.

my sister had very severe acne on her face ,chesty and back. She tired every topical cream,anti biotic,cleansers ,everything.She finally decided that acutane was her last result. Let me tell you,she was a raving,emotional wreck!!!!Her skin did clear but she does have some scarring /discloloration. I didnt think her mental health being messed with was worth taking the acutane but she did.

I personally would not encourage someone to take acutane,unless it is really ur last resort,LAST RESORT,plus she had to take a blood test every month to see if she was preggers cauze apparently ur kid can be born without ears if u take accutane n become preggers,plus some other horrific side effects!!!!!

I totally love aspirin masks... also I would try hydrogen peroxide... both options are very cheap, so I'd definitely give it a try before trying more expensive options!

For more details, try going to PantrySpa.com and searching for aspirin and hydrogen peroxide...

Latest posts

Back