Makeup to not look as oily on a busy night?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I am a bartender so I am unable to reapply powder/check my makeup or stop running around most of the time. I used to use studio fx by MAC but after a while I would break out. I started using Estee Luader's mineral powder foundation and very quickly I find my skin looking very very shiny. At the end of the night it is much oily-er. I have been suggested MAC's blot poweder, which I will try but I won't be a able to keep reapplying. Any idea's on other products to try? My skin it self if I leave it alone is a littl one the dry side. I would like to try some more products
smile.gif
Thank you!

Instead of adding products to help the the oiliness you could try those blotting oil sheets. I use some buy clean and clear and they work great, very barely pick up the tiniest bit of makeup and take the shine away.

Maybe using a face primer would help decrease the oil/shine by the end of the night. There are many different company's that make them but I've heard Smashbox makes great face primers.

MAC blot powder is the best for this, IMO. I waited tables in a busy upscale restaurant for about a year and this stuff never turned into a reflective surface, not even in the tiniest bit.

If your skin is naturally dry, but turning oily when you're made up, it sounds like you might be using products that are a little too moisturizing.

Maybe try a face primer and oil free foundation. Also, MAC's blot powder does work very well.
smile.gif

I use the Smashbox illuminating primer but still end up looking shiny by the end of the day. I do like it by itself however (without foindation) because it gives me a clean, glowing look. I have heard good stuff about Make Up Forever All Mat or even their HD Microfinish Powder which is used to set foundation and give a smooth finish.

Blotting sheets are a good idea. Primer may help, as well as a light, oil free moisturizer. Since a little goes a long way, use 1 pump on your neck and face. But if you have tried all the products and tried experimenting, it could just be the environment, and you need to use a blotting sheet every now and again.

Blotting paper, and MAC's blot powder, it works great. You don't need to reapply much that powder, and the blotting sheets are so small you can put them in your pocket and use them in the ladies' room
smile.gif

thanks guys! I will pick up the smashbox primer and the Mac blot powder! Should I pick up the loose powder or the pressed one? I totally forgot about blotting sheets!

I try so many,Mac blow powder,primer pre-prime ,smashbox . Foundations mineral at least 10 differents brands.

I just buy Makeup forever Duo Matt powder I can sayis the best i found.

Just apply primer and the powder nothing else and my face matt for almost the hold day just blot once.

I gonna try it with murad mattifier to see if even better but i will said try it. Is not cheap but if you add all the extra products that you want to buy is cheaper and less complicated.

Mac's studio fix would make me break out as well
frown.gif
but a face primer and I would recommend Make Up Forever at Sephora. It works great!

You should definitely check out mac's pressed blot powder. Something I have also bought from mac that helps reduce my oils are macs "matte" and "oil control lotion", you should look into that as well. Also, have you ever applied finishing powder after you're done with your foundation?

As much running around as you say you do, you still have to use the restroom here & there right? So, when you go, keep a compact in your (jeans) pocket & quickly use a little toilet tissue & wipe your whole face w/ powder. It takes just a few seconds.

In the meantime, how about using a face mask at home once a week that's made to help w/ oily skin to draqw out the oils in the skin.

Also, try Estee Lauder's Double Matte liquid foundation. I've been using it for yrs & it's pretty good.

There are 50% persons which has a oily skin problem. If you are working in night shift then it's should be necessary to take care of your skin.........

Buy some Milk of Magnesia and put it on the oily areas with a brush or your fingers and let dry before you apply makeup. We do this at fashion shows and the makeup lasts the whole day with no oiliness.

SewAmazing, sounds like a tip I'll try NOW! Thanks! Any other tips for oily skin? How about once the makeup's been on for 1/2 the day, any tips to do then?
smile.gif

I used to use rice powder to set my makeup. I purchased this stuff at Sally's Beauty Supply and was really happy with the results, until the models I worked with at my fashion shows told me about Milk of Magnesia. Wow! The results work for 24 hours at least. Everybody I know uses it now. It's a staple in most makeup bags. Let me know how it works for you.

I feel your pain. I was a cover girl (person who takes cover) at a local night club. I spent my entire night in bright lights and surrounded by people and running back and forth between VIP and the register. I didn't have any time for makeup either. I switched from a liquid foundation to a powder and mixed it with the tiniest bit of baby powder. I simply chose a slightly darker shade than my skin and when I added in the powder it became the right shade. We're talking a very small amount of baby powder.

I'm not sure if they still make it, but years ago I used to use a product by Cabot, it was "Cabot's Seban Solution". It came in a container similar to one of the round noxema cans, and inside were circular wipes. You'd simply wipe it on your face, and viola! No more oily face. It was by far and away the BEST thing I ever used for my oily skin.

I did a quick search and found reviews on the product, and found a few other companies that make a seban solution. It might be worth a try.

Latest posts

Back