Touring New York City

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
Hey all. One thing that I would like to do someday is go to New York. It won't be for like another year or so cause I gotta save money. lol.

I'm a total tourist. I like taking pics of everything and visiting things to say that I've been there. Gotta see it all while I can.

So... What are some things that should be checked out? What about outside of the city? Any websites that would help would be great!

Oh I have been there a few times and it is so cool. I would say:

• Time Square
  • Empire State Building
  • Statue of Liberty
  • Ride the subway
  • Eat Pizza LOL
Let's see what everyone else says
smile.gif

That's cool, have fun and enjoy!

Looking forward for the pictures!
biggrin.gif

New York magazine has a great website (newyorkmetro.com) and has articles on everything to do in NYC. They have great guides for everything (especially their on-the-cheap guides). Time Out New York magazine lists current events going on in the city. sheckys.com lists events going on, too. Dailycandy.com also lists places to visit.

There's lots to do in NYC and you don't necessarily need a ton of cash either. Just going downtown to Greenwich Village and hanging out in Washington Square Park or uptown in Central Park, you could just sit on a bench, eat a sandwich and people watch and take in the sights.

For starters, there are tons of restaurants to choose from. Get the Zagat's Guide to look for restaurant reviews if you're really picky.

There are the usual landmarks that everyone visits (Tony mentioned them): Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, The Intrepid.

If you're a shop-a-holic like me, head straight to midtown on West 34th Street and "do" the whole block from 5th Avenue (& 34th Street) to 8th Avenue. You'll find Macy's, Sephora, Express, Lane Bryant, Banana Republic, Victoria's Secret, Forever 21, Baker's Shoe Store, The Gap, Payless, Strawberry, Nine West, H&M Clothing, Steve Madden and more! 34th St is the shopping headquarters. There is a subway system and buses you can also catch on 34th street to bring you near to whereever it is that you'll be staying.

In Greenwich Village, on West 8th Street, there are a bunch of shoe stores, plus lots of people watching down there and you can grab a slice of the famous "John's Pizzaria" on Bleecker Street and then walk a block down to grab a cappucino at two really good bakeries on Bleecker Street.

If you're not tired and feel like walking (if not you can either take a taxi or the subway - subway's cheaper) to Little Italy / Chinatown and there you have tons of restaurants to choose from also.

Back uptown on West 46th Street (also known as Restaurant Row) you have tons of restaurants that people usually go to after they see a show on Broadway.

For shopping at designer and pricier shops you could venture up and down Madison Avenue or 57th Street from East to West. (more expensive shops there).

When the time comes, if you need more detailed information, just send me a message. I was born and raised in NYC - so I'm familiar with it.
smile.gif

Sounds like you like to be well prepared Liz! That's great
smile.gif
Looking forward to hearing about about your trip and seeing tons of piccies!
icon_biggrin.gif

theres alot of places to go to, you can go to times square of course, soho which is where theres tons of shops, macys on 34th street is nice, madison ave where theres chanel, lv, all the big names where you can go window shopping will i do cause i cant afford any of those clothes i dont know about u lol, you can walk over the brooklyn bridge with is really cool, omg i can go on and on, you sould really come down here, im dying!!!! to go to L.A i think im going in a couple of months , i just got back from vegas a little while ago but next stop is L.A so when that comes you can let me know where i can go over there.lol.
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow Liz, I am just like you. I love being a tourist and taking pics. NYC is one of the cities I have been wanting to visit. I hope you get to go soon, tell us all about it
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I would like to visit New York, as well. I toured it when I was very small (okay, young) and it was a very impressive city. Back in June I was there briefly before boarding The Pride Of America cruise ship. I wish we could have spent more time there.

oh, god, i will try MY BEST to stay away from times square during the summer because i can't stand the tourists who walk so slow and just stop in the middle and start taking pics LOL

the sephora in times square is HUUUUUUGE. that's the one i go to.

i've never done anything in the city that required spending money (except shopping). when i go to hang out with friends, we go get something to eat and sit on benches or in front of a building that has seats.

you HAVE to visit queens. nothing's great there, but it's my favorite borough. it's so diverse, they have really nice cafes to sit outside (during the summer, of course), it's like being in europe.

you might wanna stay away from brooklyn. that place is scary LOL

staten island's great if you wanna deal with obnoxious, rich people
wink.gif

when my cousins came from canada years back, we went to the empire state building, twin towers, and statue of libery, all the way up to the crown, but you can't do that now after 9/11
frown.gif

then, you can come visit me outside the city!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by jennycateyez Im From Brooklyn , Why Is It Scary? yeah, i guess i said that kinda wrong, but i can't remember the place where i was, but i was terrified and i lived in the worst part of the bronx and i was fine there! for some reason, while i was in BK, i just didn't feel safe. i don't even know what the other parts look like because i wasn't there, so i guess i shouldn't talk
icon_neutral.gif

Queens Is Worst Then Brooklyn Lol But Theres Bad Parts In Every City Wherever You Go Thats Life But You Souldnt Have Said That Brooklyn Is Scary When You Only Been To One Part , But I Understand What You Meant, I Guess Im "lucky" Cause I Live In The "good" Part Of Brooklyn
wink.gif

Originally Posted by jennycateyez Queens Is Worst Then Brooklyn Lol But Theres Bad Parts In Every City Wherever You Go Thats Life But You Souldnt Have Said That Brooklyn Is Scary When You Only Been To One Part , But I Understand What You Meant, I Guess Im "lucky" Cause I Live In The "good" Part Of Brooklyn
wink.gif
is queens really worse?!?! i looooooooove queens. i plan on living in astoria and i'm jealous of the MUTer that lives there
tongue.gif

thanks for all of the tips guys! it won't be for awhile till i can try to go since i've gotta save the money. with everything that i want to do, i would need to be there for like 2 weeks! hehehe

i hope you enjoy yourself when you do get ready to go!! i've been once years ago and we did the typical tourist stuff.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer is queens really worse?!?! i looooooooove queens. i plan on living in astoria and i'm jealous of the MUTer that lives there
tongue.gif

i love astoria,when i dont feel like going into the city or longisland clubs.you should go to click,its a lounge ,great spot
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by jennycateyez Queens Is Worst Then Brooklyn Lol But Theres Bad Parts In Every City Wherever You Go Thats Life But You Souldnt Have Said That Brooklyn Is Scary When You Only Been To One Part , But I Understand What You Meant, I Guess Im "lucky" Cause I Live In The "good" Part Of Brooklyn
wink.gif

Ok i have lived in queens and brooklyn,i cant say one is worse than the other cause both have their really shitty parts.Id actually say the bronx is the worst,lol.

Liz i envy yu! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> can't wait till im old enuff to travel alone...only ever been to the U.S once (florida). Only places I'm aloud to go is where the family is, when time consents of course:p

Latest posts

Back