More addicted to buying than wearing MU?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a big problem, in that I can't walk out of a drugstore/ department store/ supermarket (lol) without purchasing a bit of make up. I'm a sucker for pretty packaging and new interesting products I haven't tried before (I also love excuses such as money off coupons, BOGO's and GWP's!)

I have so much make up, and not alot of room to store it, so it's becoming increasingly harder to hide it from my bf lol. All this, yet I hardly use half of what I've got. Seriously alot of it is still in it's packaging, sometimes I'm too afraid to dip into it to 'spoil it' - how crazy am I?

I certainly don't wear make up every day, and when I do it's usually quite subtle, despite the fact that I have a rainbow of beatiful colours I could experiment with. I rarely hit pan on anything, it usually happens about once every two years
ooops.gif

Anyone else care to admit to the same problem
laughing.gif
?

lol I know exactly what you mean. I have heaps of gorgeous colours, but in reality I wear my neutrals a LOT more than I ever wear my 'sexy' colours...

I have mac steamy, humid, passionate, heaps of super bright colours, and I hardly EVER wear them, but I wear bark and my other neutral shades a lot. I still WANT the bright colours though, when I see them in stores...

I'm attracted to pretty things, but luckily I don't have heaps of money at the moment, which is really stopping me from buying a lot, lol

I'm glad I'm not alone guys! What's worrying about my behaviour, is that I think I actually like the thrill of getting something new more than the thought of using it, then when that excitement is over, I start searching for my next purchase, I'm unstoppable (for as long as funds allow lol) I don't do this with any other sort of shopping than make up.

oh, I do what you're describing more with other types of shopping than makeup shopping. Especially online stuff - when you buy online, you have weeks to 'enjoy' the purchase before it actually arrives, and you realise it wasn't the perfect item you've always wanted afterall, lol

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif oh, I do what you're describing more with other types of shopping than makeup shopping. Especially online stuff - when you buy online, you have weeks to 'enjoy' the purchase before it actually arrives, and you realise it wasn't the perfect item you've always wanted afterall, lol Yes!! Online shopping is a killer, to me that is more addictive than getting it instore, because the excitement of waiting for mr. postman makes it all the more enjoyable.
blush.gif

LOL! and it's often cheaper than instore, and a way bigger range! and no walking involved! and I can get crazy european, asian and us brands much more easily than instore in australia! I have a serious online addiction.

and on some websites, you can just click straight through if it remembers all your details.. two clicks and you've bought something! i love that.

i'm the same though, i can't go into superdrug or boots without loitering at the makeup (why do they put it right as you walk in??!) and picking something up. usually something cheap or small like an eyeliner pen or lipgloss. i don't know why i do it either, i have great difficulty walking in somewhere like that and not buying something makeupy.

Originally Posted by TOOFACED /img/forum/go_quote.gif I plead guilty.
frown.gif
and everyone tells me its a big problem. i've had friends go through my MU and ask if they can use things and i will tell them to have it and i try to remember when in the world i bought it and never figure it out.. and the next day i'll go buy the same thing i gave away(that i never used) by a different brand lol yah its a big problem, and i dread returning/exchanging products so i end up losing money basically
frown.gif

is there a support group for this?! MUA?(Makeup Anonymous)

You're in luck! It's called the "Adrienne Cosmetics Foundation" and I'm continually accepting donations LOL!

I do the same thing but I have no problem returning something I don't need. I'll know it'll become an exchange when I get there anyways lol.

The title of this thread made me burst out laughing because that's exactly how I am. The only makeup item I wear on a daily basis is lip gloss and I almost never rotate so I will use the same 2 lip glosses for a month before I switch to another one. But I still can't stop buying. It's like, I just enjoy the products sitting in my train case.

I do the exact same thing - I'm a shopaholic at heart - but at least I buy from cheap brands, like bargain makeup from Walgreens or elf.
smile.gif

Kinda sorta lol. I have been making myself use all of my makeup. The hardest thing for me is bold colors. I lack the self confidence to pull them off, and I feel like I would stick out like a sore thumb if I wear them. But I can't stop buying them LOL!

I'm kind of the same, for a while i was thinking i'm just building my range of eyeshadows, then it's because i didn't have much shades, and i must have mattes and shimmeries. One thing that helps me tough is the fact i have a rather limited space to store everything so i have to double check the need for the particular item i want.

Originally Posted by Noir Sakura /img/forum/go_quote.gif The title of this thread made me burst out laughing because that's exactly how I am. The only makeup item I wear on a daily basis is lip gloss and I almost never rotate so I will use the same 2 lip glosses for a month before I switch to another one. But I still can't stop buying. It's like, I just enjoy the products sitting in my train case. I can totally relate to this, this is me! lol

Originally Posted by Noir Sakura /img/forum/go_quote.gif It's like, I just enjoy the products sitting in my train case. My little trophies lol!

Well kinda...don't have a lot like I would love to have but I think I have the same problem. I guess it's all that video watching especially haul videos....makes me want to go shopping every time.

Totally. I can't help it, I just love to haul! I do try to use everything I have at least once, though. I've even inventoried the stuff I haven't used yet (the list is way too long), and am checking them off as I force myself to use them. I just get into ruts of using the same stuff everyday even though I've got tons of products just being neglected in my stash.

I'm just like you guys! But, I'm a professional makeup artist, so I always end up using everything I buy. I feel guilty if I don't! LOL. I have a girlfriend that doesn't even WEAR makeup, yet buys the most expensive makeup all the time just to have it. But, whenever I see her, I offer her fun makeovers, so we end up using her new makeup colors. If I were you, I'd do makeup swaps or sell my makeup at a "makeup" yard sale! =)

Back