Anyone else have an anti makeup mama?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else have a mother who just doesnt understand why you like makeup or why you wear it?

My mother wears lipstick and thats it. So when she sees me getting foundation blush bronzer and EYESHADOW she just can seem to understand why i use all these things. I try to tell her but she doesnt get it. She gave a great big speech in the drugstore one time saying "everytime we come in here you buy the same thing". I went in to walgreens and got the jane agua centiuals cream e/s bc they make a bad arse base for eyeshadows. I got one in every color bc they were only 2.99. She thought i was getting the same one over and over when in fact I was getting them in every color.

She used my camera to take pictures of her garden and plants and saw my fotd pics and said i looked FOOLISH. She and my stepdad spent 10 min pointing out which ones looked the craziest. Now like i said before she doesnt like "un natural colors" so purple,green,yellow,ect ect she cant stand. She b!tches like no ones business about my makeup. WHen i was 21 she actually said makeup made me look old. Now look at my pic <----- over here would you guess i was 27 by looking at that pic? Most people think im still a teen so makeup makes me look old
tocktock.gif
tocktock.gif
tocktock.gif
?

I seriously think shes projecting her insecurities about makeup on me. She said my dad when they were married said women who wore e/s looked like clowns. So thats why she never wore any. Now why in da holy h#ll would you listen to a dead beat dad lazy arse loser like my dad. The man hasnt done ish for me since i was two why listen to him? My stepdad said he only likes NATURAL looking makeup. I have pointed out to him that if i was trying to attact him i would consider it but since i am not and since my mu choices dont involve a man in the least he shoulnt worry about it.

Now she is demanding that i dont wear false lashes to church. Now im not talking drag out there lashes just normal run of the mill ones. She says it "shames" her....and she always says she hopes that lash glue doesnt get into my eyes. Again projecting she said when false lashes came out inthe 60s she could never get them on. So maybe shes jealous that i can (after 4 or 5 tries but i get them on LOL).

I have tried to show her she can pull off e/s ...i put gold and cranberry e/s on her and she liked it until my hillbilly arse stepdad said "red aint natural"...so she took it off. Now she talking more than ever about why i wear e/s and that im obsessed with makeup. When i get a job i wont have time to worry about makeup. Little does she know when i get a job ill prolly have MORE makeup.

Anyone else have these issues with your mother and makeup or am i the only "lucky" one.

can anyone think of a reason why my mother seems so anti makeup?

I'm sorry your mom isn't supportive of your love of makeup!

My mom doesn't wear much makeup, but she's started wearing a little more since I started really getting into it a few years ago. She tells me I should be a makeup artist. lol.

thank you i just had to let it out. She just pushed me over the edge when she started to complain about me wearing false lashes
frown.gif

aww, sorry to hear that! my mum doesn't hate makeup, but she was no help when I first learning to apply - she hardly ever wears makeup - I think it's because she used to wear glasses, and anyone who wears glasses knows that it's quite difficult to apply, since you can't really see what you're doing.

In a lot of ways my mum is super low maintenance - she only started wearing bras again when my sister and I were old enough to get them, stuff like that - so she's not really into makeup, but since I became obsessed (lol) she wears a lot more, and she always comments on mine, saying it looks nice.. and she asks me things too, lol

My Mum is another low maintenance one. She only wears make up for 'special occasions'. From a very young age I have had a fascintation with make up and always wanted to wear it, I had a bit of resistance with my Mum in letting me wear it and it was doubly hard with my grandmother in my Mums ear telling Mum I was too young etc etc. But I finally got there! My Mum still doesn't think I need to wear so much make up, but she accepts it.. well she had to, it became part of my career!

I completely understand where you are coming from with your Mum not understanding, you just have to ignore them. if wearing make up makes you feel good and you enjoy it, then that's all that is important. You could have worse habbits!

I'm sorry to hear that your mom's like this. My mom's another one who doesn't wear a lot of makeup. She's worn the same look since before I was born and it's pretty basic.

But she's never said anything to me about what I wear even when I did live with her. Except to tell me that it's pretty when I do a bit more for an event or something. It's a shame that yours does. It's really not her place. She should support you and tell you that you're pretty. So don't pay attention to her. Wear what you like b/c it is pretty.

That's okay...my mother does raccoon eyes and pretty much nothing else. =

I've told her many times that she shouldn't do it because it ages her immensely but why listen to me? Then, when I actually do her makeup--she relies on me for special occasions and such--she's amazed at how much better AND YOUNGER she looks!

I say--if you can't beat 'em, help 'em.

I did... She didn't understand makeup and why I wanted to wear womens clothing!!
frown.gif

my mom does not realy wear makeup, except if there is a wedding or something, and she recently started using a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen in it. however she does not insult me for wearing makeup, cause she knows that just because it is not something she does not like does not mean i cant enjoy it.

Im anti foundation myself but I love other makeup .. My Mom loves makeup too

Sorry to hear about your dealings with your mom and your makeup.

My mom is probably indifferent to my wearing makeup. She actually thinks I should wear more since I have so much of it. She doesn't really wear it herself, but I think that's because she saw my granna (bless her heart) wearing way too much of the wrong colors in the wrong way when she was growing up, so she never wanted to get into it.

My Mom doesn't wear makeup at all, maybe some lipstick which she would take half of it when she apply it on wedding occassions.

since i was a young girl, was taught that "natural" is the best. be yourself, you don't need makeup and such. that's why till now i feel putting on some makeup.

but now i've started really loving it and putting more stuff.. learning how to.

i still get from her the whole make up and natural thing from time to time. i just learned to smile at her and ignore.

she doesn't like makeup, i respect that. and i dont think she will ever get how we nowadays love makeup.

so my advice to you is just smile and continue doing what you love. don't be put down. think different generatoins, different tastes. i dont think its anything personal.

My mom likes makeup but shes really simple about hers. Sometimes she wishes she could use eyeshadow. I tell her to go for it but she never does. lol

Honey, I completely understand. My mom isn't as anti-supportive but my mom was rather plain most of my life. She didn't even wear lipstick! Carmex was her makeup! I did catch a few earfuls from my mom about my makeup spending habits but now she understands that it's my thing. She just started wearing makeup herself in 9/07 at the ripe age of 48!

You know, it's your thing, don't look for her to understand. She may never understand. I do know that it's frustrating to have to catch grief about it from time to time. You shouldn't have to, honestly. You're an adult and your mom should respect your likes and dislikes whether she understands it or not. You're not doing drugs. It's perfectly harmless. Well, exdept to the bank account! LOL
smile.gif

I'm sorry your mom isn't supportive of you wearing makeup. My parents prohibited makeup from me until I reached 16. Of course I snuck it on and bought what I could when I could. I had a small stash that we would go back and forth between our rooms lol. When it was in their room, they found my stash, when it was in my room, I'd taken it back.

But my mom did wear makeup. It was basic stuff like foundation, blush, single eyeshadow and liner with mascara, lipstick... Having it prohibited and seeing her apply hers made it like a forbidden fruit lol. She didn't ever go full out but when she dressed up for events, she would look so beautiful and that's why I loved makeup. I've always recieved compliments from everyone on how pretty my mom was so that stuck with me throughout the years and even today. I wanted to feel like she looked.

Now, she does go to me to ask if I've tried this or that and if I could help her with something. But she still tells me I have way too much makeup and I should wait to use up something before buying my next item. I can't help it if something catches my eye though lol.

I get comments from my Mom and other family about how long it takes me to get ready, but other than that, no one really cares. In fact, if I am going out shopping with my Mom and I'm not wearing any make-up she'll assume I'm not ready yet haha

Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Anyone else have a mother who just doesnt understand why you like makeup or why you wear it?
My mother wears lipstick and thats it. So when she sees me getting foundation blush bronzer and EYESHADOW she just can seem to understand why i use all these things. I try to tell her but she doesnt get it. She gave a great big speech in the drugstore one time saying "everytime we come in here you buy the same thing". I went in to walgreens and got the jane agua centiuals cream e/s bc they make a bad arse base for eyeshadows. I got one in every color bc they were only 2.99. She thought i was getting the same one over and over when in fact I was getting them in every color.

She used my camera to take pictures of her garden and plants and saw my fotd pics and said i looked FOOLISH. She and my stepdad spent 10 min pointing out which ones looked the craziest. Now like i said before she doesnt like "un natural colors" so purple,green,yellow,ect ect she cant stand. She b!tches like no ones business about my makeup. WHen i was 21 she actually said makeup made me look old. Now look at my pic <----- over here would you guess i was 27 by looking at that pic? Most people think im still a teen so makeup makes me look old
tocktock.gif
tocktock.gif
tocktock.gif
?

I seriously think shes projecting her insecurities about makeup on me. She said my dad when they were married said women who wore e/s looked like clowns. So thats why she never wore any. Now why in da holy h#ll would you listen to a dead beat dad lazy arse loser like my dad. The man hasnt done ish for me since i was two why listen to him? My stepdad said he only likes NATURAL looking makeup. I have pointed out to him that if i was trying to attact him i would consider it but since i am not and since my mu choices dont involve a man in the least he shoulnt worry about it.

Now she is demanding that i dont wear false lashes to church. Now im not talking drag out there lashes just normal run of the mill ones. She says it "shames" her....and she always says she hopes that lash glue doesnt get into my eyes. Again projecting she said when false lashes came out inthe 60s she could never get them on. So maybe shes jealous that i can (after 4 or 5 tries but i get them on LOL).

I have tried to show her she can pull off e/s ...i put gold and cranberry e/s on her and she liked it until my hillbilly arse stepdad said "red aint natural"...so she took it off. Now she talking more than ever about why i wear e/s and that im obsessed with makeup. When i get a job i wont have time to worry about makeup. Little does she know when i get a job ill prolly have MORE makeup.

Anyone else have these issues with your mother and makeup or am i the only "lucky" one.

can anyone think of a reason why my mother seems so anti makeup?

When I was a preteen/teen my mother was like that.My mother was very insecure,jealous of me and controlling.

I am sorry she treats you like that.

The problem is that wearing make up kind of uncoscious reminds our parents that we are sexual creatures and that other people looks at us twice and coveth us when we look good. And this is something they wants to protect us from. And i think elder women is a bit jealous as well (well, not my mum because when she attends the party, she is always the most striking woman there in the age of 64 and guys half her age hits on her). it is about controlling the younger womans sexuality. The point here is that they have not figured out that make up is something we do for ourselves and not fort other. At least from my part.

my mum doesn't wear makeup really either.. i don't think she ever has done. she's supportive of me wearing it and always compliments me if ive made an effort with my eyeshadow or done something a bit crazy but she doesn't get why i'll happily spend £15 on nail polish! she just tuts though, never really interferes. i think she's getting more used to it.

Back