Brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does the brush you use make much of a difference? I currently have a 20 dollar set of brushes that seem to work fine. Is there really any difference in the final look using more expensive brushes?

i've always wondered this too. i have a set of brushes i got for about £15 that i've been using for ages and have always been fine.

Depends on who you ask. There are some brushes that are dupe-able. Then there are brushes like the 187 that IMO, cannot be duplicated no matter how hard they try. I think it is ok to invest in a mixture of cheap and expensive brushes. I suggest purchasing the real 187 if you are looking for a stipling brush, Essence of Beauty brushes are excellent, that brand from the craft store (leti help!!) is good.

I don't think that the more expensive the brush the better the quality but it does seem to usually play out like that. Alot of it has to do with the care you put into the brush as well. It's more of a test of time thing and personally I have many cheap brushes (that work just fine) but the next brushes I buy will be more upscale investments that I know many others have for years and still are as good as new.

Loew Cornell at Michaels
wink.gif

Yes and no. I agree about the 187. I tried dupes, and ended up buying a 187. Don't regret it a bit. You can always wait for a sale like I did. I am cheaper than cheap, and if I will buy a 187 you know it's worth it lol. A pointed liner brush is not worth spending lots of money on imo. A cheap art brush works just fine. Invest in good blending brushes, they are worth it. I personally hated the MAC 239 for applying color, and love the Loew-Cornell 3/8" Maxine's Mop. I will not ever buy a 239 again.

For those of us new at the many vendors for these and many of the makeups, could you please mention the brands.....like 187..... I haven't a clue, maybe it's a Mac since I see other numbers listed as Macs.

Thanks from a noobie to some of this.

Nan

I think that, as long as the bristles don't completely fall off, every brush is the same. You might prefer a softer brand, but at the end of the day they're all the same.

I've noticed a difference in my makeup application when I use better brushes. IMO it's worth it to splurge on brushes. I went from using EOB brushes to MAC brushes and have never been happier. The quality of the brushes and the softness of the brushes really help to achieve that ideal perfect look.

Ive been into makeup for a long time and i have come to realize that I rather pay more for expensive brushes only because i feel like they last longer. Right now Im buying one mac or sephora brush at a time because it can be expensive at first.

My first brush set was a $20 16 brushset and none of those have survived while my sephora brow brush has lasted me for years.

Latest posts

Back