Getting a wedding dress altered?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soo, I posted about ordering this dress for my wedding in fall:

David's Bridal - Tulle Tea-length Dress BR1004

I had ordered it in the smallest size they had, a size 4. I just received my package today and the dress is really beautiful, it looks exactly like it does on the website!

BUT:

It´s too big on me. I wasn´t exactly sure what my US dress size is. Usually the smallest size a store has fits me just fine when it comes to dresses! But apparently I`m a US size 2? In German sizing, I´m typically a 34 (or XS) in dresses, which does convert to a US size 4 according to the website I checked! How weird that it still doesn´t fit me

The top part, boob area of the dress is ok, with wearing a padded strapless push up bra underneath it´ll be ok. I didn´t wear a bra when I tried it on.

BUT, I have a very small waist, so it´s not as fitted on me as it is on the model. Also, I was unsure about the length of the dress from the beginning, so I had already planned on getting it shortened to knee lenght.

Do you guys think/know if alterations like that are always possible on any dress? I´m especially worried about them not being able to really shorten the tulle material that´s on top. I mean, tulle is so fragile!

So, all in all I want the dress to be taken in like 3 inches? (rough guess) at the waist so it´s really form fitting there, and then shortened to knee length.

Cause right now, as beautiful as the dress itself is, I look like a little girl trying on her mommy´s wedding dress
bawling.gif

yes, you can alter that!

do you mean down the middle of the dress where those seams come down, it doesn't fit you right? a tailor or seamstress can simply resew those darts to fit your body.

as for the tule, if it's too long they can just cut a bit of it off.
smile.gif
i have no idea how much it would all cost though.

it's a very beautiful dress! when's the big day??

Originally Posted by Lucy /img/forum/go_quote.gif yes, you can alter that!
do you mean down the middle of the dress where those seams come down, it doesn't fit you right? a tailor or seamstress can simply resew those darts to fit your body.

as for the tule, if it's too long they can just cut a bit of it off.
smile.gif
i have no idea how much it would all cost though.

it's a very beautiful dress! when's the big day??

I mean it´s too wide right under the bust, on the model it actually looks like it´s been taken in for the picture. On me, it´s a straight A-shape dress which I´m too skinny for I guess. I´m drowning in it lolI just hope that you can sew the tulle after it´s been cut off, you know so it doesn´t rip.

We actually don´t have a set date yet. It´ll be small civil wedding, that´s why the dress is rather simple. We can´t set a date yet before Shawn knows when and how much time he can take off from is classes. He starts college this fall.

I think I`ll take a picture this afternoon so you guys can see what I mean

I guess it really matters how much it needs to be taken in. My dress has a bit of a corset top and I didn't think there was much give but the seamstress said "there's enough material" so yeah and for the length... she also mentioned that it's suppose to be one inch from the floor (longer dresses, so you don't trip!) and she hems ALL OF THE DRESSES. So I think the length will definitely not be a problem
smile.gif
Congratulations and good luck!!

I've talked to brides who've had to have their dresses taken in multiple sizes in the waist (as you have to buy the dress to fit your largest measurement.. often hips).

I honestly don't think alterations will be a problem
smile.gif

People buy discontinued dresses right off the rack all the time that are completely the wrong size.. It's incredible what a good seamstress can do!

Pretty dress!
smile.gif

I wish I could have that complaint. "It's too big!" lol. I'm sure a very good seamstress will be able to adjust it perfectly
smile.gif

Originally Posted by LilDee /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've talked to brides who've had to have their dresses taken in multiple sizes in the waist (as you have to buy the dress to fit your largest measurement.. often hips).I honestly don't think alterations will be a problem
smile.gif

People buy discontinued dresses right off the rack all the time that are completely the wrong size.. It's incredible what a good seamstress can do!

Pretty dress!
smile.gif

good to know! I hope I can give it to my seamstress in my hometown this weekend

Pretty dress Andi, hope you get the alterations done without any problems. As you have brought your dress, does this mean your wedding is coming up soon?
smile.gif

I don't think it would cause too many problems for a good seamstress (what on earth is a male seamstress called? a seamster?) anyway. It's a gorgeous dress and you'll look stunning in it!

I love the 'see this dress in motion' option on david's bridal!

Latest posts

Back