Packaging you hate

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
What types of product packaging turns you off? For me it's when shadows are put together in one pan. Like the new Colourcraft quads. Mosaics are fine since they are meant to be mixed, but I don't like when the individual colors are not in their own pan.

That bothers me, too!

I also don't like packaging that looks super cheap (like Wet n' Wild and some other drugstore brands...if NYX cosmetics can look nice and still be cheap, why don't other brands do the same?). And MAC's newer packaging for their LE collections have been kind of annoying with stickers that come off, etc.

I also don't like when the packaging is super huge and there's very little product. lol.

Cardboard packaging is a big turn off for me, here in Oz, toofaced stuff is super expensive, and yet it's sold in cardboard boxes?! not cool.

(I think there is a thread on this already somewhere...)

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif What types of product packaging turns you off? For me it's when shadows are put together in one pan. Like the new Colourcraft quads. Mosaics are fine since they are meant to be mixed, but I don't like when the individual colors are not in their own pan. really?? for me it's the opposite! i really like the ones that are mixed in the pans. I so can't wait to go to a MAC store and see if colour craft came out in cyprus yet or not to check the eyeshadows out!

Lately for me, it glosses that are in tins or pots. I hate using a brush or sticking my finger in the pot. Like MAC Tendertones rock, I just wish they weren't in stupid pots. Glosses should be packaged in tubes.
smile.gif

I agree with Rosie, I hate cardboard packaging. TheBlam does it too..

I hate cheap packaging, especially those clear transparent plastic stuff! Like how girls here usually transfer their pigments into those small round plastic cases hate those!! I like something hard like paint pots! Another reason why I never wanna buy MAC's 4 (quad) palettes and always opt for the 15 pan palette.. which then I end up buying more shadows to fill it up!

And those UD eyeshadows (book of ... something ..) so yeah I guess cardboad stuff!!

BELLA1234 - "Lately for me, it glosses that are in tins or pots. I hate using a brush or sticking my finger in the pot. Like MAC Tendertones rock, I just wish they weren't in stupid pots. Glosses should be packaged in tubes.
smile.gif
"

iagree.gif

OMG!! Me too! I hate things on my hands and having to use my fingers for tins or pots! HATE IT! Who wants to carry a lip brush with them everywhere?

Rant I posted on another forum:

Okay ladies, most of us do our makeup at a desk/vanity/counter (what have you) right? Tell my why 99% of makeup products are cylindrical?!? Do the companies that make this stuff not realize that round + hard surface= stuff rolling off the table/counter onto the floor?

My favorite lipgloss is Avon Glazewear. The tube used to be a rectangle, then they made it round. I was (still am) so damn mad! Why Avon, WHYYYYYY?!

I just realized why I love the kiddie paint brushes I bought in the craft department at WalMart. Cuz the handles are triangles and they don't roll all over the place!

How much time are we spending picking stuff up off the floor? Mascara, pencils, lipstick, glosses, makeup brushes, all round! I mean really. Can I get a right angle? Just 1 right angle?!

I hate gaudy, colorful packaging. For instance, I can't stand Urban Decay's packaging!! I know - that's cosmetic blasphemy right? But it's so colorful and busy - there's just too much going on for me. I guess that's another reason why I love MAC so much, because of their sleek, simplistic packaging. I don't know, maybe it appeals to me more because it looks more sophisticated.???

Originally Posted by yourleoqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif Rant I posted on another forum: 

Okay ladies, most of us do our makeup at a desk/vanity/counter (what have you) right? Tell my why 99% of makeup products are cylindrical?!? Do the companies that make this stuff not realize that round + hard surface= stuff rolling off the table/counter onto the floor?

My favorite lipgloss is Avon Glazewear. The tube used to be a rectangle, then they made it round. I was (still am) so damn mad! Why Avon, WHYYYYYY?!

I just realized why I love the kiddie paint brushes I bought in the craft department at WalMart. Cuz the handles are triangles and they don't roll all over the place!

How much time are we spending picking stuff up off the floor? Mascara, pencils, lipstick, glosses, makeup brushes, all round! I mean really. Can I get a right angle? Just 1 right angle?!

LOL! Amen!!! I hadn't given that idea much thought but now that I do, You're totally right!

I also hate the e/s pans with no color separations. If I want to use one color, it's hard to grab that one specific color. I also hate anything in a pot (unless it's eyeliners.) Nothing is more unsanitary than pots. I agree with the cylindrical containers. I have one drawer in my cabinet stand dedicated to all that round crap and it's hard to organize! The cardboard annoys me too. If I'm paying 30 bucks for a product I better get something sturdy.

My one big gripe is excessive useless packaging that puts together useless junk on one product. Like the L'oreal HIP duos. I really don't need a mirror that small when most likely I'm gonna do my makeup in front of a way bigger mirror. And the same with the Wnw brow kit I just got. I love the stuff but the mirror already broke (not that I was gonna use it) and I have no need for those teeny tweezers.

The one packaging I absolutely HATE is Flirt! eyeshadows and blushes. You have to slide the lid to the side and then open just to get to the product. Not good for everyday use.

Yes, i hate that too, if i'm to buy several colors, they have to be separated.

No cardboard, it looks cheap and fragile (when the brand isn't in my country), and i keep my plastic adhesive cover for my books.

What i also really hate is Bourjois' packaging for the eyeshadows and blushes, they give you a tiny brush or sponge applicator, only protected by a small sheet of paper, which are both ready to fall out and will eventually fall out when you open it (not that i was going to use the tiny accessory, but still it's annoying). Also, good luck in trying to pile them up.

I don't mind pots and rectangle tins (i can't open the round !), i always make sure i keep a strict hygiene around that stuff, but i feel more comfortable handling them when they contain a small amount of product, to limit the waste.

i too hate the eyeshadows to be all touching each other.

i hate anything that has a screw off lid, like old mac eyeshadows and like most of the products from cargo. i dont need an extra lid to fumble around with.

and sorry mineral makeup fans, i HATE loose powder anything. too messy in my oh so perfectly neat world
glasses.gif

I totally forgot about Flirt until Adrienne mentioned it. Their slide then flip open crap is annoying. Geez Flirt, what's wrong with simplicity?

I'd like to add bulky lipglosses. Tons of companies will make their containers huge, fat and bulky when you're not even getting that much product to begin with.

I like the Flirt! packaging... it's more ideal for traveling tho.

I can't stand Urban Decay oddly shaped packaging. It's pretty but totally unnecessary.

I don't like those eyeshadows touching either. It gets mixed with one another if you're not careful.

I haven't tried them but I'm not a fan of Illamasqua's packaging.

Any makeup that has a mosasic design. I want the color to ONE COLOR,not several. Although the shimmer stripes are good.

Any cardboard packaging,lip glosses with an "doe-foot"applicator.

Any lipgloss in a pan or pot.Who wants to put their finger in it? Twist-click type eyeshadows are aggravating,and the same with lip glosses. And so on. =)

I hate the new packaging for color craft eyeshadow...the quad are cute but it seem "cheap"

Originally Posted by LUVINBEAUTY /img/forum/go_quote.gif BELLA1234 - "Lately for me, it glosses that are in tins or pots. I hate using a brush or sticking my finger in the pot. Like MAC Tendertones rock, I just wish they weren't in stupid pots. Glosses should be packaged in tubes.
smile.gif
"

iagree.gif

OMG!! Me too! I hate things on my hands and having to use my fingers for tins or pots! HATE IT! Who wants to carry a lip brush with them everywhere?

I totally agree with both of you!! i also don't like cardboard packaging, and lids that you have to unscrew and screw back on, i like to just flip up the top, it's faster. And oh yeah, any lipgloss with a sponge applicator instead of a brush applicator, i dont care how much i love the shade, i wont buy it if its sponge.

Back