What do I need in my train case if I want to freelance?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been working in cosmetics at Nordstrom for the last few months, and I was thinking about eventually freelancing later on and would like to know what you guys think are must have items for every porfessional makeup artist to have in their makeup case?

I have a lot of eyeshadows and pigments already in various shades, but I'm not sure exactly what else I need and just how much it would cost me. Would I really need to buy a ton of different shades of lipsticks, blushes, and foundation shades? If so, it may not be worth it to do makeup at home on the side. I'm not sure.

One girl at work told me that a way to get a lot of foundation shades for "free" is to make testers of various foundation shades at work in the little pigment jars. Any other ideas?

Any thoughts and opinions would be wonderful!

You do not seem ready and because of this you would not be able to justify thoes who hiers you.

I pm'd you with something to take a look at.
smile.gif

You do need a lot, but it's something that is definitely possible over time. I'd start picking things up a few at a time. Don't you get gratis?

Bella, thanks again for the link! And Sexy Sadie, I know I'm not prepared yet, that's why I've started this thread. I have enough eyeshadows and pigments to be prepared for eyeshadow looks, i'm just not sure exactly what I should have on hand for a full face look considering a lot of people like different looks, and shades.

i wouldn't go get hundreds of things now, pick-up a little here and little there, look for major clearances!

good luck!!!

Originally Posted by Sexy Sadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif You do not seem ready and because of this you would not be able to justify thoes who hiers you. Just because she's not ready yet doesn't mean she can't get started...that's why she's asking what one would need so she can built up her kit.

Anyways, Petrilude made a good list on his blog about all the basics.

I'm starting off too and what's most important is building up a good foundation/concealer collection.

All the basic eyeshadows that can fit different skin type and tone.

And definitely brushes! The more, the better!

And it all doesn't have to be high end stuff.

If you would personally wear the products and it works well - get it.

Goodluck.

I Say Alot of Shadow/Blush/Countouring PALLETS (Not Important in Pallets BUT makes alot more space in your case & things Easier) Never forget your Brushes/Sponges & Never forget your Cleaner (its good when doing more than one client to show & ensure you value Sanitation & cleanliness)

Also Always keep things such as Tweezers, small scissors, Lashes & glue (ya never know last minute who may want lashes)

a small cape is good (You dont want any makeup on their clothes)

and as a BOnus _- Saftey pins, bobby pins, hand sanitizer, Shout wipes for stains , hair spray

You may think why do i need these? I have done many shoots as well as freelance for weddings proms etc & Trust me when something rips or a hair falls out of place etc THEY FREAk Its always best to be prepared for everything Plus They'll love you and will refer you
smile.gif

Hope this Helped
smile.gif

It is expensive to fill your traincase unfortunately - but once you have it all set up you only need to replace when you run out.

In my traincase I have:

About 20 shades of foundation, liquid and mineral - it would look really unprofessional if you couldn't find a shade to match your client, not to mention embarrasing for you! I store my mineral foundation in tiny sample pots so they take up hardly any room.

Your usual contour powders, concealers, blusher, eye shadow e.tc. + your brushes

Hand sanitizer gel

Make up remover

Cotton buds

Moisturiser (must have, especially if your client has dry skin)

Mascara wands (you have to use disposables

Disposable lip brushes/eye shadow brushes (in case your client has an eye infection/cold sore)

Brush cleaner

Palette

Spatulas

A bib/cloth - something to protect your client's clothes

Don't forget you'll also need insurance, possibly advertising (important if you're starting up) and be in contact with your local health department to make sure everything is up to scratch.

Not sure how it works elsewhere but in the UK they can check on you any time and sample your kit to make sure everything is hygenic.

Phew, think that just about covers it! Hope it helps
smile.gif

I would definitely invest in a foundation palette like this one by Bobbi Brown. Search around for one online and make sure it has a variety of shades. The great thing about this palette is that it also has correctors and concealer and a mixing well to blend colors. You will also definitely want to have a nice variety of brushes, cleansers, sharpener, cotton swabs, cotton pads and the like for sanitation and quick applications and fix its. I just got back from the bookstore and saw a book by Bobbi Brown called Makeup Manual that highlights different products and even has a section for those wanting to become muas.I saw it at B&N but you can probably find it at other bookstores. Best of luck!

Hey guys, i just wanted to say thank you all so much for your ideas, and links!! VERY helpful!! For now, I'm trying to stock up on the cheaper stuff that I need, and buying stuff on clearance that I know I will use. I'm also buying a few of the more expensive products in shades that I think I need. I depotted a bunch of my mac eyeshadows and put them in a mac palette which is helping me to save space in my kit, and I even got two new eyeshadows for free because of my empties, every little bit helps.
smile.gif

In response to the question that I overlooked, I havent gotten any gratis at nordstrom. We have to earn gratis by doing things such as selling 5+ items in one transaction on a certain day such as the first day of a sale.

Oh btw, a model that I met last week asked to see photos of work that I've done before, and she liked them so I might be doing her makeup for a photoshoot soon. Wish me luck, this could be the big break I need to help me get started.
smile.gif

Try the Cinema Secrets foundation palettes. It's a cheaper way to get started and they are awesome! When I first switched to these, I googled it and found 5 palettes of theirs that are highly recommended, with those 5 you can do any face. Then as you run low of certain shades, you can replace them individually. This way not only can you get more shades, cheaper, but it's also easy to carry.

For lipsticks, look for samples, clearances, etc to get started. Buy when there are bonus gifts so you get more for your money.

Good luck! Don't let the haters tell you that you can't!

go to coastal scents .com they have amazing make up for really cheap... plus the quality is almost as good at mac... and you can get the 88 palette for only $40!!

Back