Ultramarines...NOT Lip-SAFE

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I just need to comment on my views on mineral makeup ingredient: "ultramarines"...

Did you know that mineral makeup containing ultramarines are NOT Lip-Safe??
med.gif

Well If their NOT Lip-Safe who would want to put that on thier face at all. My sister is an Eye Doctor and she was appalled as to why would these companies use this in their formula if it was not lip-safe to begin with, nor would she put it on her face at all....eyes...nose...Dah!!!
doh.gif

I did find companies out there that do not have ultramarines in their formulations.
rockwoot.gif

Please feel free to look around MakeupTalk for all beauty community needs! We're a happy group! Welcome!

Hi and welcome
smile.gif

The FDA only deemed ultramarines unsafe for the lip area. The face and eyes are still okay from my understanding.

Quote:
Ultramarines
What is it?

Ultramarines are synthetic pigments (blue, green, pink, red, and violet) of sodium aluminum sulfosilicate. In cosmetics and personal care products, Ultramarines are used in the formulation of a wide variety of product types.

Safety Information

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lists Ultramarines as color additives exempt from certification. Ultramarines may be safely used for coloring cosmetics and personal care products, including products intended for use in the area of the eye, when they conform to FDA specifications. Ultramarines are not allowed to be used in lipstick.

The FDA also includes Ultramarines on its list of indirect food additives as a colorant for polymers in contact with food.

The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) has deferred evaluation of this ingredient because the safety has been assessed by FDA. This deferral of review is according to the provisions of the CIR Procedures

Source

Thanks for the comment on the description of ultramarines, I had already checked that out once I learned about them recently.

My comment I guess still stems from the point of view... Synthetics are not soo good for our bodies either.

So once again why...If it cannot be placed on the Lips would you want to place it around your eye area where you have ducts etc.

I dont see how it is possible to be careful around your eyes, nose or mouth, especially if you use loose mineral makeup.

I have gone towards using the natural and the organic skin care and makeup formulations anyway and personally do not use anything with the synthetic fragrances and dyes. Just parabens alone that have caused cancer in lab-tests (giving breast cancer, due to its mimicking of the female hormone "estrogen" ) freak me out. Too many un-answered questions out there considering the beauty industry and what comes out later in life that should not have been done or used.

Just when I got my first wrinkle did I decide to review all of the ingredients I was using (trying to achieve better results) and [then] is when I realized what I was putting on my face and skin and what really was in the skin care and the cosmetics industry formulations. I had been using Estee' lauder for over 20+ years as it was, and then I switched just like that!

Not up for debate...Just an F.Y. I for all.
idea.gif

I posted the link as an FYI for our other members
wink.gif

I too found it odd that it's okay for the eye area (which I find more sensitive than the lips) but not for the lips. I certainly don't make lip colors out of my blushes like I used too. It's ironic how mineral makeup is considered healthier for the skin and yet you find these kinds of things in some of them.

What mmu have you found that doesn't use ultramarines?

I looked hard and far.. took me a few months but finally found a company that had what I had been looking for. I was recommended others but found some of their other ingredients were not either lip-safe as well or not eye area safe...Ugh!

I have used the skin care for over 7 months and have been using the mineral makeup for about a month and would certainly recommend it to anyone. My skin is dry and sensitive and I have had nothing but compliments. Hope this helps. Here is the website teamaria.com

I, like you, thought what little mineral world was fairytale come true. All 'natural' and so on. I don't think it's misleading for companies to say their minerasl are natural, but I don't think they should labeled as 100%, like some do-and they don't know what they're talking about or at least it was marketing strategy. Ultramarines are eye safe though. I've bought from many that use the ingredeints and I have never experienced any allergy so far.

After some research and some honest distributors and companies being honest with my questions.. Let me tell ya, many of ingredeints are lab man-made. They used to be all natural minerals mined from sites, but later was changed to lab created. Is that a bad thing? Nope. Imagine those minerals being mined from underground, would you use them on your face right away? I wouldn't risk it. Minerals straight from the ground can be abrasive on your skin. That's where the lab created ones come to play - they're smoother in textures adn more effective. You know how some spas use stones in their therapy? I don't think they just picked random rocks off the seashore. XD Rather, they polished the stones smooth and then use them on customers.

I think only skin care can be labeled as natural or organic, otherwise, makeup never is all natural. I would say that they're natural BASED, but lab enhanced for consumers safety. Kaolin Clay seems to be the one that retains the most purity.
smile.gif

Thanks for your comment and your research....But the fact still remains that If it is NOT Lip-Safe ...Why in the world would you put it on YOUR EYES!!

Just because its OK to be placed on the eye area (where you have your ducts) and being it Loose minerals it goes into your body as well. Whether it be on Lips, Eyes, Nose.... It STILL goes into your system.

Just like for instance: Chromium Oxide Green; A chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm.....

IM OUT! NO THANKS! You would not find me putting that on my skin neither. Just like the Nano-particles....Not for me once again.

Unfortunetly the FDA does not govern what is put into the skincare nor the cosmetics industry, it only governs the labeling of the product. The Europeans are now starting to evaluate what is put into the Cosmetics industry.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND RESEARCH.

Trust me, I know how you feel.. I mean, that's what I was fussing through too.. Now, I could care less, I guess I'm immune to it. However, over the years, I think I absorbed more paraben than oxide green or ultramarines
laughing.gif
ironic, huh?

Since the FDA did state that it's safe for eyes, I think I'm okay with it. Same goes for chromium oxide green. I don't work for any research facilities, so I don't know why it's according to California only, but not to other states. On the bright side, none of these have caused me breakouts or irritation yet, so.. but I am very glad that many mineral makeup sold online do not contain Bismuth oxychloride - which is a known irritant although it's mineral. Now, for me, if minerals don't contain harmful chemicals, or bismuth or talc, i'm fine with them.

It's up to us research and all. Do be careful of those so-called organic or natural products sold (like in Sephora), they still contain lots of chemicals (not necessarily bad) and paraben. Like I said before, I do think that mineral makeup is natural, but not 100% like some sellers claim to sell. (it kinda irritates me when they do that) Yes, it's unfortunate that FDA doesn't regulate. Thumbs up for you to stand up for what you believe in! Give some companies a shout if they're being secretive with their ingredients and I'm sure many will be nicely explaining to you. If tehy don't list their ingredeints or is coy about explaining to you, beware.

Go look for Fyrinnae's FAQ page, the last question explains why they claim to be a mineral company, but not a pure and natural one. by the way, what's up with nanoparticles? And what companies do you go for ultramarine free and chromium oxide green free? thanks
smile.gif

The reason why many companies use ultramarines is that you can't get certain colors through just regular oxides. So unless you are willing to stick to pretty neutral colors you can't get natural makeup without some of these ingredients. For example you just can't get a bright pink without carmine or dyes. To get a range of colors that the public demands they have to use something.

I am GUESSING that the reason ultramarines aren't lip safe is that they should not be ingested at all. I know I end up eating my lip products so can see why that would be so. LOL. I know some things can be absorbed through skin but really the skin is a pretty good barrier-- that's why we have it.

I know that many MMU ingredients have had posts about their safety-- silica comes to mind off the top of my head. Most of these warnings are for those who work with these ingredients and would be breathing in large quantities- not the tiny amounts during makeup application.

People eat and drink much more toxic things in my opinion so I'll take the risks to have colorful eyeshadows and such. Heck, women used to use lead in their makeup and some lipsticks still have a high amounts in it.

bella terra mineral cosmetics doesnt state anywhere ont heir product or ont heir site about their products containing ultramarines and they have a large variety of colors... their eyeshadows are all pigments and they are very highly pigmented and ssoooo fine... it is pricy but well worth it if you want to use mineral make up.

looking at the bella terra website it does not mention about ultramarines, but looking at some of the colors I do think some are used, and not all companies that make mineral eyeshadow use ultramarines in all their formulas, I have several different catagories of shadows and only some use ultramarines in them, eye safe approved

Originally Posted by starbound25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif looking at the bella terra website it does not mention about ultramarines, but looking at some of the colors I do think some are used, and not all companies that make mineral eyeshadow use ultramarines in all their formulas, I have several different catagories of shadows and only some use ultramarines in them, eye safe approved wweelll i have the products and it doesnt have ultramarines listed in their ingridients...

Interesting - thanks for the information - will do my own little research and make my own informed choice.

Well checking out the product Te'a Maria Minerals... They do not use Ultramarines, Carmine and other ingredients that other brand x companies use. Ive tried it...and been using it for [now] over 4+ months and it is awesome. It has incredible staying power and the site is quite educational. I was sent extra products/samples with my order that I did not have to pay for. Pretty cool!

Anyways, Im impressed and content. Hope you all feel the same way with yours
smile.gif

I have to totally agree with shyiskrazy2. mucous membranes would be not only on eyes and mouth, but your nose as well. I guess if we were not able to swallow it because it is Not Lip Safe, then we would be sniffin it up our noses and it would go into the same funnel anyway.

Ultra blue or chromium green are usually necessary to achieve correct skin pigmented shades for foundation too, not just eye shadow.

They are safe for "externally applied cosmetics, including the eye area".

Lips are considered a mucous membrane, therefore not 'external'.

Ultras contain sulfur, so that's why it's not good to eat it! Hence not lip safe.

I don't lick my eyeshadow or foundation off, so I feel pretty safe:kiss kiss:

I'd avoid occ.'s lip tars though.....they have ultras listed on the ing list.

Back