EDM changed it's sales tactics

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you think of the new EDM homepage and the new pricing regarding the kits?

Since I only purchase brushes and bases from there, the prices for me have gone up by 70%.

Gone are the good old days one could get a full size foundie with just 4,1 USD...

1. I think the new homepage looks cartoon-ish and cheap. I would die of embarassment and fire my IT personnel if my website looked like that. I can't believe THAT is what they've been waiting all this time for.

2. My ONLY problem with the new pricing is the outright lie that the kits would be staying. I have no respect for a company that tells blatant lies to its customers and turns around and renegs on what they promise. I still think EDM is reasonable compared to a lot of other MMU companies. However, I haven't yet decided if I'll keep purchasing from the company or not.

3. What's even more disturbing are the women there who are okay with being lied to and want to just "move on" and be all lovey-dovey with no explanation, no information and no apology about why they were lied to. Call it what you want, but I believe that a lie is a lie and I think liars should be held accountable for lying. If I have to force that accountability with my pocketbook, I'm prepared to do so.

4. I don't get the choice to stop using Paypal. You'd think if there were THAT many cancelled orders or stopped payments, millions of Ebay users wouldn't continue to use Paypal as their primary means of payment. I wonder if EDM has a personal account vs. a business account because Paypal WILL stop payments and hold payments on personal accounts, but they do NOT do that on business accounts. My guess? They don't like the fees Paypal charges so they aren't going to lose their little 2% to Paypal anymore. I think they'll lose a lot more customers and money than the piddly fees Paypal takes.

Originally Posted by IslandBreeze /img/forum/go_quote.gif 1. I think the new homepage looks cartoon-ish and cheap. I would die of embarassment and fire my IT personnel if my website looked like that. I can't believe THAT is what they've been waiting all this time for.
2. My ONLY problem with the new pricing is the outright lie that the kits would be staying. I have no respect for a company that tells blatant lies to its customers and turns around and renegs on what they promise. I still think EDM is reasonable compared to a lot of other MMU companies. However, I haven't yet decided if I'll keep purchasing from the company or not.

3. What's even more disturbing are the women there who are okay with being lied to and want to just "move on" and be all lovey-dovey with no explanation, no information and no apology about why they were lied to. Call it what you want, but I believe that a lie is a lie and I think liars should be held accountable for lying. If I have to force that accountability with my pocketbook, I'm prepared to do so.

4. I don't get the choice to stop using Paypal. You'd think if there were THAT many cancelled orders or stopped payments, millions of Ebay users wouldn't continue to use Paypal as their primary means of payment. I wonder if EDM has a personal account vs. a business account because Paypal WILL stop payments and hold payments on personal accounts, but they do NOT do that on business accounts. My guess? They don't like the fees Paypal charges so they aren't going to lose their little 2% to Paypal anymore. I think they'll lose a lot more customers and money than the piddly fees Paypal takes.

I absolutely agree with all of what IslandBreeze wrote. It is outrageous to outright lie to your customers and I can't believe Carina refuses to even apologize and accept responsibility for it.
I was one of the long-time EDM supporters who was waiting for the new site and new products to order my $50 12-piece kit, because Carina posted that it would still be available for that price. She lied, and it is no longer available. And since I have already bought all the lip and eye products that I could possibly use (at full price) I only wanted to get foundation and face products in the 12 piece kit, which I now have the priveledge of paying about 70% more for now, because I was mislead and lied to.

And I agree that it is so sad that so many people on the forum think it's excuseable behavior. I think it's mainly the people who like buying eyeshadows and lip products at a cheaper price than they've been since they pulled the mini kits without warning.

My advice to anyone thinking of trying EDM? It's not worth supporting a company that lies to and mistreats its customers.

Besides, in yet another bonehead move, they got rid of the custom free sample kits that made EDM so popular in the first place. And the PayPal thing is just yet another "screw you" to EDM customers. So ridiculous.

There are much better, honest mineral makeup companies out there. I will no longer refer any of my friends and family members to EDM.

mk12 - i really feel for you - buying all those eyeshadows at full price... I warmly suggest TKB Trading instead - the samples are twice the amount of EDM's full sized eyeshadow and cost only 1,5 USD.

I've been EDM customer for a year and this is the 2nd time they did a major overhaul of their homepage - that is weird. It is as if they enjoy pissing off their customers.

And yet - they are still the cheapest solution out there (that I know of)...

(The "positive mindset" hens in the EDM forum make me wanna vomit too - the place needs some healthy sarcasm. Badly. Every time I visit that place I feel molested.)

I have to see the homepage but I remember last time they "revamped" everything I was very disappointed. Everything used to be so cheap and the kits were such a good deal. I heard so many complaints that I'm lucky I haven't run out of anything yet... I just won't deal with them nowadays.

All I know is that they'll lose me as a costumer. I used to order there a lot, but since the prices are much higher (I can deal with that though), and they won't accept Paypal anymore, I won't order again. It's my only option for payment. What in the world where they thinking?

I've been looking at other MMU companies, and I think I'm going to give EGM a shot!

No need to add oil on the fire, as i agree with what has already been posted. I haven't been a long time customer but the changes they made aren't for the better, i still have to stomach the paypal issue, which seems pointless to me (i too used it, does that mean a change of shipping policy in the future ?).

That and my overall so so review of my FS foundation, i think that's the end of my EDM adventure.

I just browsed the forums and i saw a lot of comments saying they won't buy anymore if paypal isn't an option. The try me kits are free for the first, then they cost $5 each, which is imo a theft for 3 or 4 samples. I had to add another product to the cart to see the discount appear which leds me to think you cannot order a try me kit alone and get it for free.

I guess i was spoilt by their free custom kits.. I actually love their site, it is refreshing and I did have to find where everything is, but that is soo fine with me. I don't think there's anything wrong with women there being positive. I imagine that edm really works for them adn they've shopped there for a long time. One factor prevents me from buying again.

However, that being said, WHY discontinue using Paypal??? It's the only payment option I use online because it is secure and you can get your money back if a seller is dishonest (within a period of course). So, for now, I can't order from them since paypal is not an option, not because of the raised price, actually..

Ive been done with them since the selection of foundation for skin tones such as myself and darker became virtually unavailable. I can find better elsewhere

Agree, somehow EDM has become one of the most infuriating companies to deal with. Sad, because they really were awesome about two years ago. But they've become so annoying that I am actually glad others are outraged. And truly, I am not characteristically a bitter person.

Also I agree that the forum is super annoying. The women who tell other grown women that they shouldn't complain or automatically jump to the defense of EDM even when criticism is valid and constructive- they are especially lame.

And while I am ranting- EDM brushes are just okay, and people who think they are zomg so awesome- sorry, you just haven't tried the nicer brushes, of which there are many.

Ive never been a fan of theirs but this is very bad for business if people are this upset.

Eww I just went on their website and its not that great...I miss the old website when they used to have the nicer kits like the eyeshadow sample kit they used to have when you were able to customize it.

Wow, I hope the folks at EDM are reading this. I would be so bummed if my customers had these type of comments and they went unanswered. Ugh.

Originally Posted by CheriTracy /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow, I hope the folks at EDM are reading this. I would be so bummed if my customers had these type of comments and they went unanswered. Ugh. They have made it very clear that they don't care how many loyal customers they have upset and offended.

Originally Posted by Lysette /img/forum/go_quote.gif mk12 - i really feel for you - buying all those eyeshadows at full price... I warmly suggest TKB Trading instead - the samples are twice the amount of EDM's full sized eyeshadow and cost only 1,5 USD. I already bought all the eyeshadows I'll ever need. And lip glosses - all at the regular prices, which is why their new discount scheme doesn't help me at all. It only benefits people who want to purchase lip glosses and their Mini size eyeshadows.
It penalizes people who mainly purchase base and face products which are now almost twice the price after the discounts.

I would be much more accepting of the price increase if they hadn't lied, convincing me to wait for the new site and new products to order it, and then lo and behold it was no longer available. I feel like they are stealing by deception if I purchase from them now.

I really should just figure out how to mix my own matching foundation from the basic ingredients from TKBTrading.

Carina had the nerve to say that the new discounts bring the cost down to around wholesale prices. Uh no, TKBTrading has wholesale prices, and they're way lower.
wink.gif
Not like truth has any relation to anything she says.

I feel bad that I promoted her business so much over the years.

I bought everything i wanted from EDM two years ago. So glad i did, as they have done nothing else but fail afterwards. I agree with everything said above. And also, I think they are heading for a fall... Would be very surprised if not. This second new launch of the website is even worse than the first one a year ago. Absolutely a No Go
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Leylani /img/forum/go_quote.gif I bought everything i wanted from EDM two years ago. So glad i did, as they have done nothing else but fail afterwards. I agree with everything said above. And also, I think they are heading for a fall... Would be very surprised if not. This second new launch of the website is even worse than the first one a year ago. Absolutely a No Go
frown.gif
Yeah, you'd think they would have learned a lesson after the last disastrous new web design launch and left well enough alone once it finally was functional a number of months later.
No wonder they have to raise the prices with their constant overhauls of everything from the website to the product containers.
rolleyes.gif

Ok, being a complete newbie to buying MMU esp. online, I apparently got in on the free samples a couple of days before the changes. I wasn't too thrilled with what I got so I was going back to try again and I thought I had gone to the wrong website! It was very confusing and disappointing as I feel I wasted money just on the postage because i will not be able to try out more products that I wanted not what was in a "kit". Oh well, on to another company.

All-in-all I am still glad to have found a forum dedicated to MMU that gave so much info on so many different companies, not just the products on the specific companies forums. So, thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back