Newbie - Why don't people care for Clinique?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post, and I am thoroughly amazed at the information on this board - it's great! I just recently started using Clinique skincare products, but after reading reviews & posts here, plus some other review boards, it seems as if lots of people dislike Clinique products for a variety of reasons.

This is my third week using the 3 step system, plus All About Eyes & Total Turnaround cream, and my face feels really nice. I had to make a small adjustment yesterday by switching #2 Toner for Mild Clarifying Lotion, as well as DDM cream for oil free gel. I have had a problem with Superdefense Moisturizer (dry skin one made me break out terribly, plus oily skin - which I don't have) and so I am trying normal to oily skin one. Is this why people dislike Clinique products because products have to be changed or switched around?

Just looking for info as I'm also interested in trying their make-up as well - I will post over on make-up board for that.

Any suggestions, tips or opinions would be greatly appreciated, Tiger

Hello and welcome, Tiger. I'm Lisa from Texas.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hello Tiger - welcome to the MUT family! I'm Rosie from NYC.

My goodness - it seems like forever since I have used the Clinique skin care products. At the time I used them, I was not particularly impressed w/them as it really dried my skin out and I had oily skin at that time. Did u check out the product reviews to see what reviews are there for Clinique stuff? HTH

Thanks for the welcomes! I did check reviews and there aren't that many, but of the ones that are there, it seems people really dislike Clinique (for many different reasons - sales associates, packaging, oily products, etc.) or they love certain products. The reviews seem few and far between, nothing like what I've seen so far for Mac products!

Tiger

Originally Posted by phoenix461 Hello Tiger - welcome to the MUT family! I'm Rosie from NYC.
My goodness - it seems like forever since I have used the Clinique skin care products. At the time I used them, I was not particularly impressed w/them as it really dried my skin out and I had oily skin at that time. Did u check out the product reviews to see what reviews are there for Clinique stuff? HTH

Originally Posted by tiger926 This is my first post, and I am thoroughly amazed at the information on this board - it's great! I just recently started using Clinique skincare products, but after reading reviews & posts here, plus some other review boards, it seems as if lots of people dislike Clinique products for a variety of reasons.
This is my third week using the 3 step system, plus All About Eyes & Total Turnaround cream, and my face feels really nice. I had to make a small adjustment yesterday by switching #2 Toner for Mild Clarifying Lotion, as well as DDM cream for oil free gel. I have had a problem with Superdefense Moisturizer (dry skin one made me break out terribly, plus oily skin - which I don't have) and so I am trying normal to oily skin one. Is this why people dislike Clinique products because products have to be changed or switched around?

Just looking for info as I'm also interested in trying their make-up as well - I will post over on make-up board for that.

Any suggestions, tips or opinions would be greatly appreciated, Tiger

welcome to MUT!to be honest Clinique really aggravated my acne..I still have the 3-step system and its almost full...the stuff makes my skin soo dry and irritated and it turns out they put loads of alcohol in their products...which is something even beauticians told me.

Originally Posted by beautynista welcome to MUT!to be honest Clinique really aggravated my acne..I still have the 3-step system and its almost full...the stuff makes my skin soo dry and irritated and it turns out they put loads of alcohol in their products...which is something even beauticians told me.

I do agree about the alcohol and that is why I had to switch - I told the clinician that I'm very sensitive to alcohol, but she convinced me to try it anyway - it dried out my eyes (I didn't put near eyes, but anywhere on my face & the alcohol dried my eyes). I guess that's why people may have problems - perhaps I've answered my own question - LOL! I guess perhaps it's not as gentle to the face as they advertise so it's important to find the right combination of products.
Tiger

Hi Tiger, welcome to MUT!

I used to use Clinique years ago, but it didn't do much for my skin.

- The soap, despite being sold as a cleanser, still has ingredients in it that make it 'soap'. Basically, a soap is alkaline and your skin is naturally acidic. By using the soap, you are upsetting the pH balance of the skin, and in turn aggrevating it.

- the clarifying lotion by facial tutor told me is a pretty good substitute if you run out of bathroom cleaner and you want to make your taps shiny!!

Sorry, i don't mean to sound like i'm putting you off, but this is stuff thru persoanl experience and what i learnt at college.

hi! welcome to mut! glad you like the site so far
smile.gif

as far as clinique goes, their stuff didn't really impress me either. but people have different skin and everything, so it caries on how well things work for them.

Welcome to MUT! I am Marisol from San Francisco and I look forward to getting to know you.

I used the 3-step system from Clinique and it did nothing on my skin. I used to wear their MU a long time ago and it broke me out.

lol iv had a completely diff experience to most ppl here - the 3 step has cleared up my skin a lot and i love their mu - especially long pretty lashes mascara, eyeliner in black amythest and airbrush concealer (my desert island essential!)... it really does depend on your skin!!! try 'em and see - mayb get a makeup lesson at the counter and try the 'face' for a day...?

xxxc

Hello & Welcome
claps.gif

I like some of Clinique's makeup, but not their skincare. Their pressed powder aggravated my acne. Even though it is non-comedogenic (did I spell that right?), it still had chemicals in its formula that made me break out with small red bumps--zits.

My aunt LOVES them; she has more 'mature' skin, and she uses their entire line.

I think a lot of people love clinique, it just so happens not that many of them write reviews. I say, if it works for you, stick with it.

I tried to like the 3 step system so much. Just irritated my skin and made it feel like a dry mask. Other skin care products did nothing for me. I do like some of the makeup-used to wear cityblock and almost makeup, the almost lipstick and some shadows. Haven't really tried alot of the line so I am on the fence. I used to wear "Happy" too. I guess there are just so many other lines that I like and want to try that it gets thrown by the wayside.

Hi! Welcome to MUT!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I'm Regina.

I have tried Clinique moisturiser, the one in their 3 step routine. From the instructions in the box, it says that Clinique sells 1 of the moistuizer in every 4 seconds around the world. I have only used it a couple of times & I don't really see that its different from drugstore skincare that I have tried. I have also tried the much raved about Clnique All About Eyes & it didn't work out for me as well.

Thanks for the responses. So far after making the product switches, my skin feels really good! I too am using All About Eyes, but I'm not sure when I should expect to see a change - I have very dark circles (part genetics and part allergies - bad combination!)

Thanks, Tiger

Welcome Tiger! I'm Janelle from NY - nice to meet you!
smile.gif
I like Clinique actually - I really don't use much of the skincare anymore, but when I did, it seemed to work well - I just mainly use the makeup now.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by tiger926 I too am using All About Eyes, but I'm not sure when I should expect to see a change - I have very dark circles (part genetics and part allergies - bad combination!) I used it for weeks & my bad circles didn't improve. I have a friend who finds it really good though. I hope it works out for u...

Hi! Welcome to MakeupTalk! I used Clinique before and I didn't irritate my skin actually just the opposite. The clarifying lotion #2 did dry out my skin a bit but it also kept blackheads away. I was even considering buying the clarifying lotion again. Also the Dramaticly Different Moisturizing lotion worked for me. I didn't get breakouts. I tried the 3 step not too long ago after years break from using clinique and this time around it didn't work for me. Then I remembered that I didn't use the soap from the 3-step before so maybe that was it. I liked the gel cleanser way better. I also used the oily skin moisturizer which is very basic and smells pretty clinical. I like the quick eyeliner and use it all the time. I used to use the compact makeup powder as well without problems. I don't think the line is that bad. It worked for my skin at the time I used it. Actually the same thing happened to me as what you were saying.... When I got into the makeupboards years ago I noticed that so many people dislike the brand so I thought maybe it's not good for me and I stopped using it. I've since learned that if the product/line works for me I'm going to use it no matter what others say.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Tiger! Welcome to makeup talk!

I used to use clinique too. I liked it for awhile but then my skin had a bad reaction to it. I loved to buy it when they had their gift with purchase promos! It's always fun to get extras! But I haven't bought Clinique in years. I did win a full size Happy Kit at a trend show I went to recently. It's also fun to win!! lol

The Thing I Don't Like About This Product Is The toners. They Do Have Some Good Products, But I Would not Use Their Toners.

Hi Tiger! I am BeneBaby from the Bay Area, California. I personally have not had any luck with Clinique SkinCare and Makeup. Here's what I have tried....

Mild Soap- Didn't make my face feel clean or take off makeup.

All of the clarifying lotions. Burned the hell out of my face!!! Left me red, dry and peeling.

The Dramatically Different Cream and Gel- Broke me out.

Total Turnaround- Broke me out for 3 months. The first week after I purchased I went to return it and they talked me out of it, they said breakouts for the first 3 weeks are normal. 3 MONTHS later I stopped using it.

ALL of the Acne Skincare- made me red, peely, irritated and uncomfortable. We are talking scabs folks!

So, for understandable reasons I steer clear of Clinique! I much prefer Md Formualtions.

Back