Lord of the Rings Prequel.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Legal settlement clears way for "Hobbit" movie

the-lord-of-the-rings:-the-one-ring-3d-screensaver.jpg

Reuters is reporting that the Hollywood studio behind a film based on "The Hobbit" and trustees for author J.R.R. Tolkien's estate said on Tuesday they had settled a lawsuit that clears the way for what is expected to be a blockbuster movie based on the book.

"The Hobbit" is a 1937 book by Tolkien about a diminutive character named Bilbo Baggins who goes on a treasure-seeking adventure, and it sets the stage for Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, with its epic tale of magic and warfare.

The "Lord of the Rings" books were made into three films released by New Line Cinema between 2001 and 2003 that made about $2.9 billion at worldwide box offices, and similarly "The Hobbit" is widely expected to be a blockbuster hit.

But in February 2008, the trustees of the Tolkien's estate filed a lawsuit against New Line, a division of Time Warner Inc, seeking more than $150 million in profits from the "Rings" movies, it claimed it was owed.

The lawsuit also sought to block filming of "The Hobbit," which will now be made into two movies by Guillermo del Toro, the filmmaker behind "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Hellboy."

Financial terms of the settlement were not released, but the author's son, Christopher Tolkien, said in a statement that as a result of the agreement, "New Line may now proceed with its proposed films of 'The Hobbit.'"

HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, a publisher of Tolkien's works, joined trustees of the Tolkien estate in the lawsuit. The Tolkien Trust, a charity tied to the late author's estate, has given away more than $8 million in the last five years.

Source - http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....-movie-reuters

This could be really good or really bad. lol. I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy and think Peter Jackson did a great job with it.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see! lol.

I'd prefer it were done by the same people... there was a cartoon (aimed at an adult audience) I think in the 80s or 70s of the hobbit, but I've never seen it.

I can't really remember but I think I preferred lord of the rings to the hobbit, although both were enjoyable, if a bit long winded and rambling at times...

I didn't like the others so highly doubt I'll even bother with this one
tongue.gif

What really bugs me is the fact that most of the films that are being made/released at the minute are remakes or part of a series of films. I don't mind this every now and again but I liked the time when it was mainly new, exciting films.

Katy, I know what you mean, movies seem to go in cycles, I remember in the late 90s it was all teen films and slashers, - scream(,2,3...) final destination(s, 1,2,3) she's all that, down to you, road trip, american pie, i know what you did last summer....

and then in the last 2-3 years, a LOT of comic book films - fantastic 4, spiderman, batman, the green hornet is coming out, hulk, etc...

why do they all need to be released at the same time?! it's so weird!

Apparently there are better times to release a movie than others, but i am a total stranger to that system.

Wait and see, i've always seen the 4 books together, and i read Bilbo before LOTR so i'm glad they're making a movie out of it, but what ideally i would have really loved and backed up at 100% is Peter Jackson doing it with the same cast, to keep the unity of that universe.

Anyway, i hope the movie will be just as good as it deserves to be.

i LOVE the hobbit, it's one of my favourite books. i don't really like that they're making it into a "prequel" type thing. i mean, it is a prequel, but it's also a book that stands just by itself.

i'm really scared they won't do it right though, like with return of the king.

Back