So tired - hand raising a baby mouse!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this - I'm sooo exhausted right now. Last night after coming home from work, my partner and I got out of the car, stepped onto the street and lying on the pavement was an abandoned baby mouse
frown.gif

poor lil guy, he mustn't have been their long cos he would easily have been stepped on - we nearly did!

We scooped him up and have been trying to hand feed him for the last 24 hours. We were up all through the night every 2 hours gently dripping kitten formula into his mouth, after each feed he also needs 'toileting' (stimulating his little tush with a cotton bud, bless!)

I am so tired, but not gonna give up on this lil fella. Please keep fingers crossed everyone!

Pics:

035.jpg

039.jpg

038.jpg

omg - I just read it as "baby moose"... I was like, "wow, looks a lot like a mouse!" durrrr! hahahahaha. So cute!! Good luck with it. Poor thing.

That is so sweet you are taking care of him! Once I found a baby squirrel that had fallen out of a tree and I raised him (until my cat got him, dang cat
frown.gif
)

awww, how cute is he! thank you for sharing those photos, absolutely gorgeous! best of luck raising him (or her I guess!)

Hi guys thanks so much for your messages of support. Do you know what I've had more support here than posting about this on my UK rat and mouse forums!!

Snoofard thanks for the tips, we have him in a little tank that we use for our rats (domesticated lol) when they get poorly. we have a low setting heat pad taped to the underside with his little bed (a tupperware box and an old t-shirt for lining) half over and half not over the heat pad, so that he can move away from heat if he needs to. What we have been feeding him so far (kitten formula with cooled boiled water) seems to be doing good so far. We deliver it gently through a 1ml syringe drip by drip. I did read about goat milk on the net after we began doing this, but I'm afraid to change it now in case it upsets his stomach. At the mo we have him in a nice feed/toilet routine.

We are thinking its a boy looking at sexing guides on the internet, but we will tell for definate as he grows. We're really not sure what to do with him if he makes it to adulthood. I don't know whether releasing him would be for the best (where he would most likely would get eaten by one of the many neighbourhood cats
frown.gif
) or do what my boyfriend wants to do and keep him happy and safe in captivity for life. We'll think about it more if we get him through this critical time.

for me, I'd keep him in captivity, surely he'll have been too domesticated to release to the wild? I'm just a sucker for super cute animals though, he's adorable!

Keep him in captivity, he's so tiny that's the only life he knows. Best of luck, i hope he makes it, he's so cute.

He is so cute.He is lucky that he fell in front of you, most other girlies would have run a mile. Have you picked a name for him yet?

It sounds like you have the perfect set up!! I used to feed my baby squirrel a mixture of pet's milk, egg yolk, and honey. I got the recipe from this neighborhood lady who used to raise squirrels (weird, that I ran into her!)

Anyway I hope your little guy grows up to be a healthy, happy mouse
smile.gif
Will you post pictures as he gets bigger?

I certainly will keep you updated
smile.gif
I'm hoping he makes it though, its such a dangerous time he's going through. Really want to see him make it to adulthood, I'll be heartbroken if he doesn't. Oh and we haven't picked a name for him yet, we wanna see him through the weekend I think and then we might offically name him
smile.gif

Aww hes so cute!!! I saved a baby mouse once and we took it to my boyfriends mom so that she could take care of it and she was doin really good but it got outta the box and ran into a hole in the wall lol. Good luck w keep it safe and sound and hopefully he'll make it through.

Thanks hun!! Just a quick update, his doin really well, and his eyes have started to open!!
biggrin.gif

I'll post pics up as soon as I can

I'm not much of a mouse person. However, i wish you and the little mouse good luck.
biggrin.gif

I actually saw your post on the mouse forum earlier, but my net was playing up and I couldnt really.

Im really glad your looking after this little man, many people wouldnt.

Look forward to updates and hope he continues doing well

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww I love reading things like this. You guys are such great mouse parents! He's lucky to have you guys to care for him. So glad that he's doing well so far. Can't wait to see more pics of the cute little fella.

Back