Anyone else having trouble finding a job?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I graduated last March and since then I've been putting in applications almost everywhere there's an opening. So far I've been to 7 interviews, and been interviewed over the phone for a couple others. I've gone two qualifying exams, both of them for only one position, you guys...one position! And there were like 40 people taking it. On top of that, they work based on a merit system where people who work in the company get preference points additional. And they only interview people with the top 3 ranks. Well, for the first exam I was number 3. Just as soon as I get myself all happy and pumped, they tell me the job was filled by someone who works at the company.
frown.gif
For the second exam from a different district they wanted some college courses I didn't have. Well they should've told us that before the exam so we didn't have to waste our time! Aahhh!

I know that finding a job is hard for many people right now with this economy. I'm just worried because my parents are talking about the possibility of our house getting foreclosed. I want to help them, but I can't find a job. This situation has gotten me really depressed, especially when I think of all the hard work I put in to get my degree. I mean, is this really how bad it's gotten? Does hard work and education not matter anymore? I really feel like I wasted my time and money in college. And it seems that for my past interviews, my age seems to be a disadvantage because people see me as some inexperienced youngster trying to get a job. How are people supposed to get "experience" if nobody gives them a shot?

I've given up on trying to find a job that's even remotely related to my degree. I've applied to almost every job out there, if they would take me. If I had to work at McDonalds, I really would. I just don't want us to end up like everyone else who lost their home.
frown.gif
So far I still have two interviews I'm waiting for a decision on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The other day, my bf and I went to Panda express and this is what my fortune cookie says: "You may lose the small ones but win the big ones."

I just hope that's true about my fruitless job hunt.

Whew. Sorry for such a long and sad rant. Thanks for reading you guys.

*EDIT/UPDATE: So I decided to call Kohls and ask them about what happened with my online application and how it got rejected as soon as it was submitted. I spoke to the manager, and she said to come in and fill out an application and we'll do the interview then...yay!

Has anyone here worked at Kohl's? How do you like it?

Yes! It's hard out there right now. I have a MS degree and couldn't find a job (everybody wanted experience and I was fresh out of grad. school). That was exactly the problem. Everybody wanted experience but how can you get experience if nobody will hire you to get the experience? It's a catch-22. I've been looking for a job since march and just landed one last week.

So yes it is really hard out there but I believe that you just need to find the right position. One will come along. There are those out there who are willing and wanting to train. And if you need some support feel free to PM me, I've been through it all recently. Sooooo hard! Don't give up finding something in your field. You'll find something. It's just taking so much longer b/c it's so bad out there. Good luck out there!

We have been hiring but gelolgists and mining engineers only.. My son dropped out of school to persue an EMT carrier and has been working part time waiting for an EMT job.. 6 months now.. He passed his state certification and just got on with a local ambulance company.. Non-paid.. Part time to see if they like him... Then that goes to part time paid them if he is one of the best in his group.. Full time.. I think it could take a year or 2 so he is staying with us at home... It is very slow out there..

Originally Posted by Arielle123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes! It's hard out there right now. I have a MS degree and couldn't find a job (everybody wanted experience and I was fresh out of grad. school). That was exactly the problem. Everybody wanted experience but how can you get experience if nobody will hire you to get the experience? It's a catch-22. I've been looking for a job since march and just landed one last week.
So yes it is really hard out there but I believe that you just need to find the right position. One will come along. There are those out there who are willing and wanting to train. And if you need some support feel free to PM me, I've been through it all recently. Sooooo hard! Don't give up finding something in your field. You'll find something. It's just taking so much longer b/c it's so bad out there. Good luck out there!

Thanks, Arielle. I need all the luck I need...it's nice to know I'm not the only one whose going through this. I'm trying so hard not to get discouraged because it's so bad out there.

Congrats on your new job!!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif We have been hiring but gelolgists and mining engineers only.. My son dropped out of school to persue an EMT carrier and has been working part time waiting for an EMT job.. 6 months now.. He passed his state certification and just got on with a local ambulance company.. Non-paid.. Part time to see if they like him... Then that goes to part time paid them if he is one of the best in his group.. Full time.. I think it could take a year or 2 so he is staying with us at home... It is very slow out there.. Wow...more power to your son for being so patient and positive. Sometimes that's what we have to do...put a little sacrifice in to get our foot in the door. I'm sure they'll like him; he sounds like a hardworking guy.
smile.gif

Yes, which is why i have resorted to babysitting for cash. In NYC babysitting is a good way to make money because childcare is always in demand. But yeah I rather have something different but its better than nothing. I graduated college in late 2007 and I quit my job because I hated it but now I cant find a decent one!!

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yes, which is why i have resorted to babysitting for cash. In NYC babysitting is a good way to make money because childcare is always in demand. But yeah I rather have something different but its better than nothing. I graduated college in late 2007 and I quit my job because I hated it but now I cant find a decent one!! You're right...that's ok hun it's definitely better than nothing. Hang in there, I'm sure you'll find another one you'll like better. For now, as I always tell my bf when he's overworked...just feel lucky that you have a job because so many people out there can't get one at all.
smile.gif

Sometimes knowledge is a great replacement for actual experience. I have a great job as a Director in an executive position. I first got my foot in the door by simply researching the company I was about to apply to and then researching the actual job I was applying for so I would be able to give ready answers for just about any topic that would be asked of me pertaining to the company and why I chose to interview them as well as the position and what my short term and long term ambitions would be should I be a chosen and successful candidate. It is a tough market out there. Knowledge of the company and position applied for is always a positive tool to use when applying for a position regardless of previous experience.

Originally Posted by Chaeli /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sometimes knowledge is a great replacement for actual experience. I have a great job as a Director in an executive position. I first got my foot in the door by simply researching the company I was about to apply to and then researching the actual job I was applying for so I would be able to give ready answers for just about any topic that would be asked of me pertaining to the company and why I chose to interview them as well as the position and what my short term and long term ambitions would be should I be a chosen and successful candidate. It is a tough market out there. Knowledge of the company and position applied for is always a positive tool to use when applying for a position regardless of previous experience. Exactly! I believe knowledge can be a good substitute for experience...and what someone might lack in knowledge they can learn while doing the job, kinda like on-the-job training. As long as you have a general knowledge of the field...it's just that it's a competitive market nowadays because so many people who have years and years of experience are also looking for jobs. So yeah, tough luck for newbies like me.
smile.gif

That's what I did with the last company I interviewed with too...I did lots of research online and when it came time for the interview and they said if I had any questions, I asked some questions about stuff I researched. At the end of the interview, one of the panel members asked me why I knew so much about the program, and I told him I researched it online. He then said, "Good research." I'm hoping that makes me stand out and show him that I did my homework and that shows my dedication and potential...I'm still waiting for them to let me know if I got the job or not...so yeah...pray for me you guys...

Originally Posted by PrettyFlowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif No matter if you are fresh out of college or been working for years, it's very hard to find a job. I have to be honest, but anyone fresh out of college who expects to get a job in their field is very, very unrealistic. Welcome to the adult world. Especially right now, yeah, it may be hard, but not unrealistic IMHO. I do agree it is gonna take longer than usual to find that job you want. And yeah, I agree that the first job out of college more often than not will not be related to your field of choice. It definitely depends on your field too. I have friends who just graduated nursing school and are now working in hospitals. Nurses are always on demand. Like I said, all the jobs I applied to, maybe only a quarter of those were related to my field. I'm not being choosy; I just want to work. Funny...the other day, I submitted an online application to Kohl's and got rejected right after turning the application in. They said I didn't have the qualifications for the job...I mean, I have customer service and retail experience, what more did they want? lol.

Originally Posted by la_chinita /img/forum/go_quote.gif Especially right now, yeah, it may be hard, but not unrealistic IMHO. I do agree it is gonna take longer than usual to find that job you want. And yeah, I agree that the first job out of college more often than not will not be related to your field of choice. It definitely depends on your field too. I have friends who just graduated nursing school and are now working in hospitals. Nurses are always on demand. Like I said, all the jobs I applied to, maybe only a quarter of those were related to my field. I'm not being choosy; I just want to work. Funny...the other day, I submitted an online application to Kohl's and got rejected right after turning the application in. They said I didn't have the qualifications for the job...I mean, I have customer service and retail experience, what more did they want? lol. Wow that's weird about Kohl's. I worked there fresh out of HS when I had no experience at anything, not even retail. They were my retail experience. I worked for them all through college. Are they only doing online applications? If not, it might be better to to to a store and submit with them in person. That's how I did it, but maybe they're only doing online applications now I'm not sure...
What is the field you're trying to get into? Nurses do work right out college here. My roommate in college is a nurse and got hired right out of school. There are different levels of nursing and they continue education. But it is definitely possible (and probable) to get a job as a nurse right out of college. The programs make it 'easier' I think because they have a lot of practical experience, kind of like med. school.

Besides looking at every kind of job, I'd definitely look into volunteering. Is there volunteering in your field? Definitely a good way to get your foot in the door. Or just get a job - any job - until things get better. As others have said there's always babysitting and things like that.

You're definitely not alone, it's really hard out there right now for everybody. And so much harder for those without experience.

Originally Posted by PrettyFlowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't know where you are from, but even people who just graduated to do nursing can't get jobs in hospitals. Usually they do lots, and lots of volunteer work and get a job at a senior home first and get a few years of experience and something part-time working at a doctor's office. I would be nervous if a hospital would hire a student freshly graduated to get a full or part-time in a hospital, very nervous. I could see if you start under contract working part-time at the hospital after a few years of experience. Maybe Canadian standards are more difficult, I am not really sure because that is not my field, but I can tell you that I never hire anyone fresh from college, unless you can see that all they did was volunteer work in that field for a few years.Have you thought of working with people with special needs? Also, see if you can get a job with an esthetician.

If you can't get a job after all that, I really don't know what to say. Maybe move to another country for a year.

Lol, I could understand someone getting nervous about hiring a nurse fresh out of college, but yes, it does happen. Like Arielle mentioned, nurses get lots of training in hospitals or clinics...they get practical as well as theoretical instruction, and they also have to pass an exam to get their nursing license. A friend of mine actually got her nursing degree in another country, came here to the U.S., passed the exam, and went to work right away. She now works in the E.R.

I've definitely thought about volunteering in my field, which is health/medical field. Right now I'm volunteering for an elementary school, so that's one of the reasons why I've been getting interviews because that meets the minimum qualifications for some of the jobs I've applied to...they like that I at least have volunteer experience with kids as well as past job experience. If not for the volunteer experience I might not even have gotten those interviews since I don't have a degree in education or anything like that. So I agree that volunteer experience helps...I'm definitely gonna do that. I think one of the reasons it's hard to find a job in my field is that I don't have a nursing degree...I have a degree in Health Sciences...which unfortunately not a lot of people have even heard of.

About getting a job with an esthetician...wouldn't I need a license/certificate for that? Even beauty salons want all their stylists/artists to have some kind of beauty school certificate except for MAC and department store counters.

Originally Posted by Arielle123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow that's weird about Kohl's. I worked there fresh out of HS when I had no experience at anything, not even retail. They were my retail experience. I worked for them all through college. Are they only doing online applications? If not, it might be better to to to a store and submit with them in person. That's how I did it, but maybe they're only doing online applications now I'm not sure...
What is the field you're trying to get into? Nurses do work right out college here. My roommate in college is a nurse and got hired right out of school. There are different levels of nursing and they continue education. But it is definitely possible (and probable) to get a job as a nurse right out of college. The programs make it 'easier' I think because they have a lot of practical experience, kind of like med. school.

Besides looking at every kind of job, I'd definitely look into volunteering. Is there volunteering in your field? Definitely a good way to get your foot in the door. Or just get a job - any job - until things get better. As others have said there's always babysitting and things like that.

You're definitely not alone, it's really hard out there right now for everybody. And so much harder for those without experience.

Lol, that was weird with Kohls...I even put on my application that I'm available whenever, including holidays and weekends.
smile.gif

I'm trying to get into the healthcare/medical field...it's hard with a Health Sciences degree...like I said in the post above, not many people have even heard of it. There's definitely lots of volunteering opportunities in my field...hospitals are always looking for volunteers, and I think that's definitely good experience under your belt. Some nurses get hired straight out of college, but some also started with volunteering.

I told myself a couple months ago, ok, I'll wait a few more weeks to see if I get called for any interviews...if not, I'll start turning in volunteering applications. Then I just waited and applied for more jobs, got interviews for some, and turned down for all of them...then I would apply for more jobs, and wait again...now I'm just basically still waiting again, lol...I'm gonna do a follow up call on the two interviews I had this week...

You guys are right, though...the best thing to do right now is start volunteering in my field...I guess that's why I've been getting more interviews in the education field is because of my volunteering at the elementary school. I guess waited long enough to see if I get hired first...so I'm putting in my application asap...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PrettyFlowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif OMG,You can tell that I am afraid of needles! lolAs for the esthetician job, if you know how to give needles, yes, you are very, very qualified for the job, but don't forget, you have lots to learn and maybe you don't have to go to school for that. I would apply, because I know a few nurses doing that job on the side, because they got laid off and do it until they get hired back at the hospital...those are the ones who have contract jobs at the hospital.

Haha...awww, now I understand even more! j/k lol...

Um...yeah, no experience with giving injections or anything like that unfortunately. So I don't know if they'll let me work with clients. But I do know that some places/clinics allow those who want to learn do on-the-job training with that kind of stuff. I used to work at this clinic where one of the MAs was being trained to draw blood at the lab. I'm not sure if MAs have that kind of training for school though. I'll look into that...I've never thought about esthetician jobs but it sounds interesting and doable, just as long as they're willing to hire me, even for like a receptionist position to start.

Anyway, I'm starting to realize that I might have been aiming too high...When you're in college, they really feed you this sometimes unrealistic view of the real world, you know what I mean? When you're finally done, you're like, ok, now jobs are supposed to just come knocking at your door because you've gone to college. When in reality, it's not easy to find a job you love, and it definitely takes time. I'm learning to become more patient.

I guess I feel pressured too...what with the danger of foreclosure and the economy and everything else. Plus, I'd really want to start a family soon...my biological clock is ticking!!! haha...I don't want to have babies too old.

Well my parents are pretty supportive...but I do feel that they have high expectations of me, which adds to the pressure. I don't know how they would react about me applying to retail jobs...So far they've been supportive about everything else, but then again, they don't know half of the places I've applied to, lol. There's definitely pressure though.

One thing that got me thinking was what my dentist's husband said to me one day...we were having a conversation about when I was graduating and that kinda stuff, and I told him I graduated with a Health Sciences degree...he was totally acting like a jerk that day, saying, "oh, what are you gonna do with that?" And he didn't say it in a nice way you usually ask when you're curious or just making conversation...his tone was saying, "well that was a dumb choice..." And then when I told him some of the career paths I could take, he just shrugged, smirked, and said, "well whatever you think works".

I graduated from college 10 years ago and it took me 6 months and 16 job interviews to get a job. I cant imagine what it would be like now right out of college.

I worked at Kohl's. It was ok, the hours and the pay was what sent me packing. Although now working for only four hours and getting paid 7.00 an hour sounds better than nothing.

And I agree about the whole experience thing! How am I suppose to gain experience if no one is hiring me!!

Since the beginning of this month I've sent in at least 20 applications to a number of jobs and I've been rejected by at least 7 and the rest I haven't heard from!!! It sucks because I can't afford to buy anything, I'm stuck at my parents and they are on the verge of putting me out, I have no money to move out on my own. FML!!!

Originally Posted by dixiewolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif I graduated from college 10 years ago and it took me 6 months and 16 job interviews to get a job. I cant imagine what it would be like now right out of college. Oh, wow, 16 job interviews! Whew! I've only been to like half that number and I thought that was a lot! I guess it really does take a while and tons of interviews to land that job. It's even harder now because of the economy as well. Boy, I guess I've got a long way to go! lol... Was it a job in your field?

Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif I worked at Kohl's. It was ok, the hours and the pay was what sent me packing. Although now working for only four hours and getting paid 7.00 an hour sounds better than nothing.
And I agree about the whole experience thing! How am I suppose to gain experience if no one is hiring me!!

Since the beginning of this month I've sent in at least 20 applications to a number of jobs and I've been rejected by at least 7 and the rest I haven't heard from!!! It sucks because I can't afford to buy anything, I'm stuck at my parents and they are on the verge of putting me out, I have no money to move out on my own. FML!!!

Wow, so they barely give you hours, huh...Do they let you choose your shifts, or are they assigned? Well, the good thing is the Kohl's I'm applying to is close by, like 5 minutes away, so that kinda makes up for it. I'll take anything at the moment, lol.

I know exactly how you feel...I have a folder on my computer with all the resumes I've turned in, and boy, is it filling up fast, lol. I've gotten to the point where when a new opening comes up, I just look it up in that folder and chances are I've already applied to the same job title somewhere else. It makes it somewhat easier to edit and send right away.

I think it depends on what you do in the store. I worked the early morning shift putting up clothes, so I guess after I put up things and straighten the store out they didn't have anything else for me to do. My hours were all over the place, most of the time I worked 4 hours, sometimes I would have to work 6 hours, and then on days when they needed help the most like holidays or when school was about to begin I would sometimes have to work 8 hours.

Originally Posted by la_chinita /img/forum/go_quote.gif Oh, wow, 16 job interviews! Whew! I've only been to like half that number and I thought that was a lot! I guess it really does take a while and tons of interviews to land that job. It's even harder now because of the economy as well. Boy, I guess I've got a long way to go! lol... Was it a job in your field?

Yeah, I was an English major and it was an editing job. Unfortunately I am going to have to start interviewing again b/c I moved. My other jobs I didnt have to interview for.

Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think it depends on what you do in the store. I worked the early morning shift putting up clothes, so I guess after I put up things and straighten the store out they didn't have anything else for me to do. My hours were all over the place, most of the time I worked 4 hours, sometimes I would have to work 6 hours, and then on days when they needed help the most like holidays or when school was about to begin I would sometimes have to work 8 hours. The job is at the beauty department...I'm not too sure how that would work and how they would schedule the hours there...there's only so much you can do at the counter I would think. I guess we'll have to see what the manager tells me tomorrow. Did you always start in the morning though? Regardless of how many hours you worked?

Originally Posted by dixiewolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah, I was an English major and it was an editing job. Unfortunately I am going to have to start interviewing again b/c I moved. My other jobs I didnt have to interview for. Good luck on those interviews! I'm sure you'll do well because you already have experience in your field.
smile.gif

Aww, I really appreciate you trying to help think of something I can apply for Prettyflowers...I think I need a career counselor or something, lol...I really want to go back and get whatever certification I need to be able to get my foot in the door, but unfortunately it costs a lot of money and I've already invested a lot with college. Right now I'm in no position to be spending...so it looks I gotta just go with finding a job with what I have right now. And yeah, like you said, once you get in, it's hard to keep the job. Unfortunately in the field of healthcare, it's mostly women we have to deal with...there's lots of cattiness, cliques, and jealousy.

Latest posts

Back