In your opinion, worst high end cosmetics brand?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have only tried a few high end brands like MAC, Smashbox, Stila, Clinique and a few others. I only have two NARS lippies and I have one Guerlain lippie. Sometimes I really don't care for Clinique, but sometimes Stila pisses me off even though I love a lot of their products.

In your opinion, what is the worst high end cosmetics brand? Tell me, because I want to know these things BECAUSE I GO ON SEPHORA TO READ BAD REVIEWS IT APPEALS TO MY SENSE OF DESTRUCTION PLEASE DONT JUDGE ME.

stila, stila, stila, and stila.

Dont get me wrong...every high end brand has a bad product, but as far as a company as a whole....stila, stila, stila, stila

i agree. too faced, everything i've tried is just naff and not worth the money.

Yep, Too Faced came to mind right off the top of my head. I have some of their blushes but luckily I got them cheap and they are lovely.

Bare Escentials, overpriced mmu that will most likely break you out and if not, at least break your bank. Stila is good but they are ridiculously overpriced that I never buy unless I find on sale.

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif stila, stila, stila, and stila.
Dont get me wrong...every high end brand has a bad product, but as far as a company as a whole....stila, stila, stila, stila

blah, i happen to like a lot of stila's LE palettes, but the tinted moisturizers suck and the lip glazes are just too sticky for me.
although i think stila single shadows come with more product, i think it's ridic to pay $18 for a single color that only comes in a pan and that you have to buy the case/palette for. the only reason i have any of the stila shadows is because beautycrunch.com has a set of 4 shadows (it had kitten in the set, so that's why i wanted it) along with a mascara, tinted moisturizer (which sucks) and some other stuff.

honestly, i'd rather get a MAC single shadow for that price. MAC's 4 pan holders are only like $3.50 and the Stila ones are like, what? $16?

and MAC'S panned shadows are only $11 each

don't get me wrong though, the smudge pots are ****ing ace and probably my fave stila product next to the convertible colors.

Originally Posted by Lucy /img/forum/go_quote.gif i agree. too faced, everything i've tried is just naff and not worth the money. Originally Posted by Adrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yep, Too Faced came to mind right off the top of my head. I have some of their blushes but luckily I got them cheap and they are lovely.
Bare Escentials, overpriced mmu that will most likely break you out and if not, at least break your bank. Stila is good but they are ridiculously overpriced that I never buy unless I find on sale.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif Too Faced I only have samples of the Lash Injection Pinpoint and the Shadow Insurance. I like those two samples, but I probably wouldn't repurchase since I really don't care for Too Faced's image. I had a plumping lipgloss from them before, and it burned my lips so badly, and it tasted gross and was sticky.
Nothing in their line really interests me.
frown.gif

As for Bare Escentuals, I have a sample of their Buxom Lash Mascara and I LOVE it. I'm not sure about trying their mineral foundation because I'm afraid it might be too cakey on me because I have such large pores.

Originally Posted by Aprill /img/forum/go_quote.gif stila, stila, stila, and stila.

omg Aprill! I love stila hahaha.

Idk I dont know who is that bad.

is benefit cosmetics considered high end? the stuff i've bought from that line is just total crap, funky packaging with cheap isht inside. i buy nothing from them now. stilla always sucked i thought, i have a trio of their eyeshadows i found for 2 or 3 dollars at tjmaxx.

I'd have to say Clinique. I had my make up done by them (a make up artist did the work) for a fashion show I was in some years back (nothing super model level), and it was horrendous. Make up was chalky/ashy on my skin and didn't complement me at all. Would've done better making my own face with my MAC products.

Too Faced or Hard Candy. I bought a lipgloss from Hard Candy once and I would have sworn it felt like they put beach sand in it. It was sooo gritty that I couldn't take it.

Smashbox!!! It smells bad and it doesn't work. This is the worst garbage ever.

Originally Posted by nursie /img/forum/go_quote.gif is benefit cosmetics considered high end? the stuff i've bought from that line is just total crap, funky packaging with cheap isht inside. i buy nothing from them now. stilla always sucked i thought, i have a trio of their eyeshadows i found for 2 or 3 dollars at tjmaxx. Yes, Benefit is high end because it's sold at Sephora.
I don't care for really any of their products except their lipsticks. I had Benetint, and I hated it because it had a floral scent, it went on all splotchy and it dried out my lips. It was the travel size with the clear lipgloss shit on the end, and the gloss went bad and started to smell like rancid something. I had bought it last year when I had just started getting into high end makeup...when I thought Clinique was the greatest brand ever. The rep that sold it to me took me like a sucker. I thought I was getting a really great deal, but it turns out the full size was only a few dollars more and had much more product in it.

I also have a sample of their Bad Gal Lash, and that's pretty grim, too. I'm trying to use it up because I just don't want to waste it. But it sucks.

Originally Posted by flyhoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'd have to say Clinique. I had my make up done by them (a make up artist did the work) for a fashion show I was in some years back (nothing super model level), and it was horrendous. Make up was chalky/ashy on my skin and didn't complement me at all. Would've done better making my own face with my MAC products. I hate Clinique foundations. They are all too yellow for me. I remember my old friend used to rave about Clinique all the time, so that's the first brand that got me hooked on dept store cosmetics. I always like their GWP promos, but something just seems off about the company as a whole.

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii /img/forum/go_quote.gif Too Faced or Hard Candy. I bought a lipgloss from Hard Candy once and I would have sworn it felt like they put beach sand in it. It was sooo gritty that I couldn't take it. I have three single eyeshadows by HC, and the pigmentation SUCKS. One is white with shimmer, one is a beige that is literally invisible on my lids and one is a lavender which is so dupable it's not even funny. I basically use the first two to pat over my lips when the lipstick I'm wearing is too dark. Lightens up the color a little. That's all I'll probably use them for. I bought them for about $3 a piece at Marshall's because I thought the packaging was so cute, and I'm planning on melting down some old lip balms and putting them in the pots so I'll be excited to use them again.

Originally Posted by Jazzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Smashbox!!! It smells bad and it doesn't work. This is the worst garbage ever. Oh, dear.
frown.gif

I actually LOVE smashbox. I adore their collections, their eyeshadows aren't too bad, and I enjoy the Photofinish Primer.

I have both of the quads, the compact mirror and a lipgloss from the Tokidoki collection, and I have the lip and eye trio from the BCA collection. I loved the lip palette so much that I ordered one for my neighbor, and she loves it because the packaging is pretty and pink and the colors are so wearable.

I'm totally not liking Benefit anymore. I also hate Stila.. except for like 6 of their shadows, and their creme cheek color thingys.

Clinique, the few products i've had from that brand i couldn't make them work, and the mascara i loooved (long pretty lashes) seems to have been discontinued so boo to them for not keeping a great mascara !

I haven't tried those brands, but honestly Benefit and Too Faced packagings do not strike me as high quality products.

Bare Minerals mineral foundation, it's really overhyped and too pricey.

Originally Posted by bella1342 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm totally not liking Benefit anymore. I also hate Stila.. except for like 6 of their shadows, and their creme cheek color thingys. Some of Benefit's packaging is way too extravagant.

Originally Posted by Snoofard /img/forum/go_quote.gif Merle Norman,I swear it's Morticians make up!

http://www.merlenorman.com/Images/Pr...foundation.jpg

cxnvjhhvkjdf i don't see anything on their site that particularly interests me

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Clinique, the few products i've had from that brand i couldn't make them work, and the mascara i loooved (long pretty lashes) seems to have been discontinued so boo to them for not keeping a great mascara !
I haven't tried those brands, but honestly Benefit and Too Faced packagings do not strike me as high quality products.

Bare Minerals mineral foundation, it's really overhyped and too pricey.

i haven't tried it yet because i'm using l'oreal bare naturale minerals
i'm trying to finish it up so i can get a laura mercier foundation :3

Oh how funny! I love the Luxiva Lasting Foundation from Merle Norman and their mineral loose powder makeup. It's has just enough "glow" to brighten you up without making you look varnished. Also, their eye pencils are my HG of all eye pencils. I have never found any I've liked any better.

As far as high end makeup lines I don't like too much, I'd have to say they all have good products and bad products. It's hard for me to pick a line as a whole.
smile.gif

This thread is really helpful! I bought from Too Faced the kabuki brush, their brush set and Glamour to go III because I read good reviews about these specially the brushes, they say are really soft and really good!

elizabeth adren... i wanted to buy a purchase with purchase gift set as a present for my sis but i couldn't find one item that was worth spending the 24.50 needed to buy the gift set, plus EVERYTIME i've tried getting help from the sales associates at elizabeth arden they've either been snooty or very uneducated about the products.

I pretty much hate clinique and philosophy, I don't believe in most of their products so its much harder for me to rave about their "great products" to my customers. I feel kinda bad when customers ask me what i use and recommend because i use mainly mac/armani/dior/nars products which isn't what these customers really wanna hear.

Back