Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS – A white Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She is white and he is black. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."

Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.

"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU sent a letter to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and recommending "the most severe sanctions available, because such blatant bigotry poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the administration of justice."

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzmann said.

According to the clerk of court's office, application for a marriage license must be made three days before the ceremony because there is a 72-hour waiting period. The applicants are asked if they have previously been married. If so, they must show how the marriage ended, such as divorce.

Other than that, all they need is a birth certificate and Social Security card.

The license fee is $35, and the license must be signed by a Louisiana minister, justice of the peace or judge. The original is returned to the clerk's office. "I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."

Source

thats actually disgusting.
frown.gif

Seriously? It's 2009. This crap is so annoying. I just hate hearing stories about this because it's sooo old. Yeah, people will probably always be racist, bigoted, prejudiced, whatever. But being open about it is just so...icky. Think what you want to think, but keep that crap to yourself and act like a civilized human being for Christ's sake. Spewing that stuff just makes you look like an a$$. This dude's the worst because he's claiming he's denying he's prejudiced while his actions scream prejudice is even worse. Total passive-aggressive BS. If I met that justice I'd murder him with words.

/rant

smile.gif

I'm not a racist but... [insert massively racist beliefs here]

eyeroll.

So unbelievably uncool and outrageous!

Quote:
Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long."I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Yeah, he's not racist at all. [/sarcasm]
That's ridiculous.

".....it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long".

Wow, has he looked at the divorce rate in general? I think the average marriage divorce rate is 50%. I wonder how many couples he refused to marry because of that statistic?

First of all, he claims he isn't a racist and has "Piles and piles of black friends"?? That right there is an idiotic statement.

That is crazy!

What a D bag!

That's disgusting.. really, disgusting! The fact that he thinks he isn't racist.. yet comes out with a remark like that?!

He's using kids as an excuse to try to cover up his obvious discrimination. That's what makes it worse. If a couple breaks up, chances are it's not because of differences in skin colour.

While it seem unbelievable in this year to me, it's interesting to me that he marries black couples and white couples but not interracial. Seems to me like he has personal reasons why he doesn't want to do that. I'm not suggesting it's right, merely stating that he isn't avoiding one race, he is avoiding the mix. It will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.

There is a blanket statement made by so many government and non government entities, *because we do it to everyone*, that it isn't surprising to hear it in that instance.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif LOL!!! He "even lets them use his bathroom..." Wow... He's lying, it's so obvious who he really is... I know! That right there is just a ridiculous comment!!!! WTF?

A man and a man or a woman and a woman walks into any JOP office and they run into the very same atmosphere with exactly the very same discrimination's being used against them. The only difference being the avenue used to discriminate them. It's hard to believe that in 2009 that any form of discrimination's are still being practiced but they are alive and strong. I am a straight hetero but I honestly believe all forms of discrimination's should be outlawed and let the people live their/our lives in whatever manner we want if that is what we decide makes us happy. The man deserves to be disbarred permanently.

PISSES ME OFFF This mean that jack ass wouldnt marry me and my boo sean daley from atmosphere bc we are of different races (well sean daley is mixed lol) anywho this is digusting and illegal. Wow jsut wow

I can't believe he said interracial marriages don't last. Yeah right, like same race marriages always last. I hope he loses his job or worse. What a disgrace.

Some people are just unbelievable.

Back