Bra size?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do I know if I'm wearing the right bra size?

I only have one bra I can wear at all right now and I think it might be too small. I asked my mother about it and she doesn't think that's right because if I went any bigger I'd have the same size chest as her. My bra keeps going out of place though!

it may be that it's fitted incorrectly (wrong size) or that the bra is not suited to your particular shape, but I would strongly suggest going to a professional bra-fitters, most larger department stores offer this service for free, as do many stand alone lingerie stores.

I'm much larger than my mother in bra size, so there is no reason that you might not be as well.

A well fitted bra is extremely important, as it will prevent them sagging prematurely, and also help support your back
smile.gif

I agree with Rosie! Go get measured... In the US all the department store provide this service aas does Victoria Secret...

I agree with the posters above. You don't necessary end up with the same bra size as your mom. I have no idea where she got that myth from :/

You need to get properly fitted. You can also determine your own bra size with the help of a measuring tape. I found the article below on the internet which is quite helpful:

Measuring Bra Cup and Band Size

You need to measure where your current bra rests under your breasts, and then measure at the widest part of your breasts. The smaller number is your band size. Your cup size is the difference between the two numbers. (A = 1", B = 2", C = 3")

So for example, if you measure 31" and 34" your bra size could be either:

30C

32C

Lipgloss addict is right. That's how u measure yourself at home. Or you could get measured at VS, Frederick's or a dept. store.

You could tell if your bra is too small if it's squeezing the life out your ribcage, your breasts spill over the sides, hang too low, and the part in between your breasts does not sit on the skin, but away from it.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif You could tell if your bra is too small if it's squeezing the life out your ribcage, your breasts spill over the sides, hang too low, and the part in between your breasts does not sit on the skin, but away from it. I just take a sock out of my bra when that happens, Reese! Lol.

Lol ! Also if you can run two fingers between the band and your skin all the way around, you're wearing the right bra size. And when you buy the bra, make sure you tie the bra at the last or medium hook, if you can already tie it at the tightest hook, it means you need to go a band size smaller, as the elastic tends to get looser over time.

Agree with the above. Body size depends on the individual, not the individual's family members. The easiest is probably to walk into a Victoria's Secret or the like and just get measured. It's really easy...walk in ask if you can get measured, and they put a measuring tape around your chest area. (Then again, they never believe me whenever I walk in and tell them my size, so they always re-measure me and I always end up the same size, lol)

I might guess that if it kept moving that the band would be too big/loose? But having a cup size too small might make it hard to hold you in place, and then it might move around a lot then too.

haha, Mags, I'm unable to do that, since most brands don't go down to my size. I'm used to keeping my bra on the tightest hook!!

Still, this advice is completely correct.

I would actually recommend going to a department store and just trying a few different sizes on. My experience with bra fitters is not great... they always got mine wrong and the size they said I was, was very uncomfortable to wear. I had one woman in Marks & Spencers who was adamant I was a 32A and no matter how much I told her the cups were too small she said they were fine! Turns out I'm actually a 32C!!! Bit of a bloody difference isn't it! Also, I've found I am a different size in various stores (and occasionally within the store if the bras are supplied by different designers - I get this in H&M). So, I suggest trial and error done by yourself!

Your best bet is to stay as far away as possible from Victoria's Secret. Across the board, they're known for bra fitters who don't have a clue as to how bra sizing works. Whats worse is, the company line is to give you an incorrect size if you wear a size they do not carry in store. For example, I'm a 30-32DD (or E, depending on how the company names their sizing). Bought VS panties with a coupon that had a $10 off any bra purchase, and when I politely declined, the sales associate asked why. I told her you they didn't carry my size. She asked what size that was, I told her, she asked where I got that number from (myself, confirmed every time I go to Nordies), and told me that those dept stores were off, I'd more than be able to fit into a 34C or 34D. Not going to happen!!! Tried that bra trick (up a band sized down a cup size) and it doesn't work for me, but the other size had to have been pulled from her behind. On another occasion, the sales associate thought it was okay to insult me over my bra size. So, they're not well known for hiring people based on their lingerie knowledge (If you go to www.makemeheal.com which is a plastic surgery website, under their breast augmentation forums, you'll hear a lot of similar comments).

Go to Nordstrom. They have great fitters.

Originally Posted by pinksugar /img/forum/go_quote.gif haha, Mags, I'm unable to do that, since most brands don't go down to my size. I'm used to keeping my bra on the tightest hook!!
Still, this advice is completely correct.

Lol ! I used to do that a lot, because it's hard to find anything past the D cup here, and i tend to like my bra real tight.

You could also go to a store (that is not a chain) that specializes bras, etc. They will fit you and let you try on bras, that way you can check if they fitted you correctly.

I would suggest going to get measured, pretty much all department stores and lingere stores will measure you free of cost, and they will also help you determine what style of bra will work best for your shape

I realized my bra was too small when the front wire in between the cups was raised off of my body in an odd way.

Originally Posted by Shadowy_Lady /img/forum/go_quote.gif I agree with the posters above. You don't necessary end up with the same bra size as your mom. I have no idea where she got that myth from :/
You need to get properly fitted. You can also determine your own bra size with the help of a measuring tape. I found the article below on the internet which is quite helpful:

Measuring Bra Cup and Band Size

I measured mine at home using an internet site, it was the same measurements they use in stores. I just did not want someone measuring mine. Luckily, I wore the right size

I tried measuring myself and I was wearing the proper sizes, but sometimes my bras don't feel as if they are the right size and during the day they feel uncomfortable and i rely on my sports bra because it's comfortable.

uuuuugh

You should buy a perfectly fitted bra, so as to avoid chances of looseness, it is easy to find right kind of plus size bra now, we can select from online shopping stores, the main thing is cup size and pattern of strips.

I hate how lingerie stores try to push "sister sizes." If I'm a 38C, I'm NOT a 36D. I have this problem a lot at Aerie because they don't stock 38C in storefronts other than the basic beige, black, and white ones, but they do stock 36D and try to sell me one every time I go in and ask to have a 38C shipped to me. (Little-known fact, American Eagle and their other branded stores will ship any item to you for free if you can't find your size in store. Better than paying for shipping online!) but the band on the 36D digs so badly I can hardly wear them.

Although I do have a friend who measures at a 38DD but prefers to buy 36D bras and uses an extender on the band because they're easier to find and the placement of the cups fits her better. To each her own I suppose.

Back