Major no-buy for 2010

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I debated putting this on the forum because I am a weak soul and love my stuff! But, I figured if I made it public I'd have a good chance of sticking to it. I need to go on a year long no-buy, and it's major. No clothes, no makeup, no books, no miscellaneous toys. BD and Xmas gifts for others is fine, but nothing for myself. I've spent way too much money this year and last and I have a very expensive house repair coming up that I need to save for. Can't do that if I splurge on the next really cool eyeshadow lol!! It's going to be hard, because just this year I discovered such great ES colors and cool makeup items.

What is okay: replacement underwear !rofl!

replacement foundation but only after I've used up what I have

replacement eyelid primer-this is truly a necessity unless I want to quit wearing eyeshadow. (H*** no!!!)

What is not okay: eyeshadows, eyeshadows, eyeshadows! No blushes, mascaras, powders, etc. Nothing, nada, zilch.

books-- I'm a book fiend, I have a library of around 5600 books, but I have lots I haven't read and many I should re-read, so no new books. No, no, no!!!

CLOTHES!!! Any clothes, pants, shirts, camisoles, Tshirts, etc. I've been such a sucker for Victorian and peasant blouses.

No "it's only $ and I could slip it in on my grocery bill!" That covers the toys, which could be anything when you're in a Dollar General or Big Lots store.

This is going to be so hard. A whole year. But I have a part of my kitchen floor I need to replace. It's okay for now, but it necessitates tearing up the tile and replacing the subfloor so it's going to cost money. I'll bet I could save up half the cost just by going on the no-buy! Plus I need to break the habit of habitual spending. Wish me luck!

I think mascaras should be allowed replacements, unless you have unused tubes. They need to be replaced every three months.

I'm with you! I was just thinking about this myself today! No makeup, clothes, books , candles!!!!!

I have to much to save for, but I am not sure that I can do it. I am a shopaholic. It's bad.

Good luck to you though!

P.S. I'm with you on the book thing...I can't help myslef on Amazon. Have you ever heard of Swaptree though???

i would also add socks to the buy list, but only replace pairs you have as they wear out.

this is what i do currently i am only buying stuff that i absolutely need.

Originally Posted by Modirty80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'm with you! I was just thinking about this myself today! No makeup, clothes, books , candles!!!!!I have to much to save for, but I am not sure that I can do it. I am a shopaholic. It's bad.

Good luck to you though!

P.S. I'm with you on the book thing...I can't help myslef on Amazon. Have you ever heard of Swaptree though???

No! Tell, tell!

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif i would also add socks to the buy list, but only replace pairs you have as they wear out.
this is what i do currently i am only buying stuff that i absolutely need.

Oooh, I did forget the socks! It's typically fairly warm during winter here except for a few days so I do need a few. Hmm, wonder how long I can make what I've got last? Anyone know how to darn?

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think mascaras should be allowed replacements, unless you have unused tubes. They need to be replaced every three months. That's just been my problem though! I don't replace them every three months, I see, I buy!! I have enough to last a whole year without having to replace any tubes. I'm a VERY weak soul!

I need to do this too. My problem now is I'm sort of down in the dumps, so I see new make up and think that will help. I should know by now that it doesn't. Well, it does, but only for a little tiny bit.

What I have found that helps though--don't think of it as a whole YEAR without--you'll be more likely to cave. Take it in small increments, whether it be a week or a month. If you can get through just one week without buying anything--that isn't that long. You can do that, right? Then the next week. You can get through one week, right? That has helped me when it comes to lots of stuff--not thinking about a guy, not spending money, etc. If you think of it in small bits rather than the BIG picture, I think you will be more likely to follow through. A year seems like SUCH a long time, and without any gratification that you've succeeded. But if you can make it through ONE week, you'll see that you ARE strong and you CAN do it, and that'll help give you support and confidence to go one MORE week. If that makes any sense at all...

And good luck!

You know, one thing people on no buys do is shop their stash. It really helps you be creative with what you have and really use it.

Hey Rebbierae, that's a great suggestion. One week at a time, yes I can do that! I'd love to see my savings account go up and my 2010 receipts folder stay slim! And you're right, sometimes when you're feeling depressed thinking you can buy something fun will make you feel good really doesn't help. It's no different than cheating on a diet--you feel like a failure! I'm going to do that one week at a time way, it should help a lot.

I like your suggestion too, Internetchick!!! Shopping my own stash-- hey, what about packing some of it away, like two sets stuck away, then swap out in a month. That sounds like fun. You'd forget what you had in the boxes put up so it would be like rediscovering them all over again.

I have been shopping my own stash and I have found some great things that I never even used! lol

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have been shopping my own stash and I have found some great things that I never even used! lol That's always fun. GL on your no buy!

Originally Posted by Angels_Decay /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've been on a no-buy for makeup the past year... and I still have no money lol Isn't it sad!! You just save up a little money and next thing you know -the car needs a repair, the power company put a fuel adjustment charge on your bill, something! But it's still a good exercise in control, and I think that's what I really need to do.

Thanks everyone!

Hey Girlie--I know it's only been a couple weeks but I'm just checking in to see how you are doing on the no-buy...

Hey Rebbierae, I'm building up to it. This is my "get used to the idea" month, and it's not too bad. I haven't bought anything that I didn't need, and only Christmas presents (I'm all done, yay yay yay!) I broke down and told my family and they just howled! But they're supportive too. Thanks so much!

Well, January didn't go too badly. I had some urges but managed to control them- lol!! Bad thing is--- I didn't save any money!! Grrrr, too many other expenses that had to be dealt with. I had to add a monthly herbal remedy for allergies and a 2nd anti-depressant to my medicine chest, did an outpatient surgery that cost about 350 more than the insurance company had first told me (grrr grrr!), and someone how ended up paying for a pedicure for myself AND my dad this month! I know that sounds weird but my dad is almost 80 and can't cut his toenails right anymore but he won't let me or my sister do it either, so we compromised-- we said we'd pay for monthly pedicures so his feet could be taken care of. He actually liked it! Anyway, nothing I really have problems with except the insurance being wrong, but I was planning on saving this month.

The thing is, I feel like I didn't take a step forward in my plan to control expenses even though I know none of the ones for January were unneccessary, indeed were musts. I think I'm just feeling the winter blahs.

It sounds like you've done great so far. Congrats!! Just remember that if you had bought things you didn't need that you'd be feeling it in your purse. (Or on your credit card like mine does!)

Thanks!! Credit cards evil
sadyes.gif

As Knickers13 said if you had bought stuff you may have been worse of for money so well done for sticking to your no-buy, congrats
biggrin.gif

Good Luck for this month!

Your post has encouraged me to go on a no buy - I buy entirely too much unnecessary stuff. And after months of sales and clearances I finally admi... I have a problem. I start my no buy on sunday, keep the updates coming they are actually encouraging.

Back