Deep Cystic Acne Prevention and Treatment?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have really terrible, super deep cystic acne. It's very painful and it distorts my skin making it look weird. I do have a liquid to apply to it, but I find that they keep on coming back, usually in the same spot.

Anyone know how I can shorten the duration of this one, but more importantly, has anyone heard anything about stopping them from coming back?

I know it's common in teenagers but i'm in my mid twenties! it's painful and ugly! HOLP!
bawling.gif

I get that too. Although I haven't found a cure yet for it, I am using an apple cider toner because I've heard people use it for acne and found that they don't get as much as they did. I'm on my second day and have already noticed decent results. The few pimples I had on my jaw line have decreased in size over the night. I'll give it a few weeks and let you know how that works (hopefully it works on acne scars as well.. that would be a bonus)

Salicylic acid is really good for acne prone skin types, as it helps to sloughs off dead skin cells which helps to clear congested follicles, which in turn helps prevent future breakouts.

Also look out for products which contain eucalyptus and tea tree as they are naturally anti bacterial and can help with inflammation.

Dermalogica has a fabulous range called "Medibac Clearing" which is specifically for adult acne and I have seen some pretty incredible results. It's definately not for those that have a few spots here and there, though a fabulous line for those who do suffer from chronic acne.

Edit: Also taking things internally can really help as well a combination of fish oil/evening primrose oil works really well to help with the inflammation and improves skin texture.

Accutane is the ONLY thing that helped my cystic acne go away and NOT come back.

A dermatologist has to prescribe it and moniter you while you are on it.

One good thing about Accutane is the teatment is typically 4 months long.

Side affects aren't too bad - fairly tolerable actually.

Check out L'Oreal's thread - she did a great job with how she documented her journey.

Accutane should only be used as a last resort.. it's a very powerful medication and I personally think it's prescribed too freely these days to those who don't really need it. I'm a beauty therapist (aesthetician) and I see a lot of people coming in for treatments that have been put on these medications when they don't really need it, every person considering going on accutance needs to be assessed on an individual basis as it's not a blanket solution.

With all do respect - its between a dermatologist and his/her patient.

No dermatologist would put anyone on Accutane unless it was going to be effective.

Maybe in other countries, doctors get kick backs from dispencing medication. However, in Canada the doctors do not. They have no reason not to put one on a medication, unless they know it will benefit the patient.

The patient ALWAYS has the right to decline - and many do.

Accutane is a dream drug - I've been on it twice and I know how wonderful it is.

Rather than discouraging anyone from going on it - why not encourage them to visit a dermatologist and let the two of them decide what is best for the patient's acne type, severity and duration.

I know what you mean Bec - In australia, doctors do not get 'kickbacks' from prescribing, they are a lot stricter here about introducing new medicines without first knowing their effects and long term outcomes...

it just concerns me that there are some awful side effects if you get pregnant - as in, badly deformed children etc. It makes me wonder what it is truly doing to US, and what kind of long term effect it has, if it can do this to a fetus.

I am def. going to have to go back to my dr when I go back to australia, in my experience though, I've been to a dermatologist, and they didn't really have any solutions for me other than returning every 2 weeks for alternative light therapy or laser treatment.

I'm just tired of having bad skin. I suppose since I'm single the acutane might be an option, I feel like Ive been floundering with other, less strong options for years now, and even though they do work eventually, they seem to take quite a few weeks and I'm sick of reoccurrence.

I think if I am not mistaken that a dermatologist will not prescribe accutane unless a woman provides some verification that she is on birth control (pill etc.) for precisely that reason. It is serious stuff, but then that's why you are actually seeing a doctor rather than the over the counter method.

In my teenage years I tried all the available products and results were only mildly successful. I wish i had insisted that I go to a dermatologist.

yes, it is the same here, but even on the pill, it is possible to get pregnant..

I will think about it though, I would really like to get rid of this problem once and for all.

I'm having similar problems with acne as well. I NEVER (and I mean NEVER) broke out when I was in high school and everyone else was getting acne. I'm 28 now and I am getting what seem like a never ending string of pimples around my jaw area!
frown.gif
I am using an all natural hand made oatmeal and tea tree soap and it has helped GREATLY! I use it in the am and the pm. When I use it at night I lather it around i my problem areas and leave it on for about 5 minutes for the lather to dry then I rinse my face and pat dry with a paper towel. I noticed the mall here in the town I'm currently in has a Proactive vending machine and it's def something I am considering. I will also check out the DERMALOGICA products Bec mentioned at Ulta. I'm def nowhere near considering Acutane for my problem though. I know several people that have been on it and they did have terrible side effects.

Keep us posted on any successful treatments!

Sooper, what side effects did they have? just out of interest as a possible future user.

I think I will see if I can find some teatree ointment here too

Be careful on tea tree oil, it's powerful so always dilute it ! I like to use grapefruit essential oil too for hard to kill pimples.

Accutane is still being sold.

There are a number of warnings concerning Accutane. Let me cite this section which is from the Drugs.com information page concerning accutane:

~~~~~~~~~

Accutane is available only under a special program called iPLEDGE. You must be registered in the program and sign documents stating that you understand the dangers of this medication and that you agree to use birth control as required by the program. Ask your doctor or call the drug maker if you have questions about the program or the written requirements.

It is dangerous to try and purchase Accutane on the Internet or from vendors outside of the United States. The sale and distribution of Accutane outside of the iPLEDGE program violates the regulations of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the safe use of this medication.

Do not use this medication if you are allergic to isotretinoin or to parabens, or if you are pregnant or may become pregnant.

If you have any of these other conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take Accutane:

• a personal or family history of depression or mental illness;
  • heart disease, high cholesterol or triglycerides;
  • osteoporosis or other bone disorders;
  • diabetes;
  • asthma;
  • an eating disorder (anorexia nervosa); or
  • liver disease.
Accutane can cause severe, life-threatening birth defects if the mother takes the medication during pregnancy. Even one dose of Accutane can cause major birth defects of the baby's ears, eyes, face, skull, heart, and brain. Never use Accutane if you are pregnant.For Women: Unless you have had your uterus and ovaries removed (total hysterectomy) or have been in menopause for at least 12 months in a row, you are considered to be of child-bearing potential.

Even women who have had their tubes tied are required to use birth control while taking Accutane.

You must have a negative pregnancy test 30 days before you start taking Accutane. A pregnancy test is also required before each prescription is refilled, right after you take your last dose of Accutane, and again 30 days later. All pregnancy testing is required by the iPLEDGE program.

You must agree in writing to use two specific forms of birth control beginning 30 days before you start taking Accutane and ending 30 days after you stop taking it. Both a primary and a secondary form of birth control must be used together.

Primary forms of birth control include:

• tubal ligation (tubes tied);
  • vasectomy of the male sexual partner;
  • an IUD (intrauterine device);
  • estrogen-containing birth control pills (not mini-pills); and
  • hormonal birth control patches, implants, injections, or vaginal ring.
Secondary forms of birth control include:
  • a male latex condom plus spermicidal foam or gel;
  • a diaphragm plus spermicidal foam or gel;
  • a cervical cap plus spermicidal foam or gel; and
  • a vaginal sponge containing spermicide.
Stop using Accutane and call your doctor at once if you have unprotected sex, if you quit using birth control, if your period is late, or if you think you might be pregnant. If you get pregnant while taking Accutane, call the iPLEDGE pregnancy registry at 1-866-495-0654.

I found this article from the la times.

New study may deal final blow to acne drug Accutane -- latimes.com

I think it's strange that allure says accutane is pulled off the market (which I guess it is), but there are generics available which is basically the same thing. Apparently brand name accutane was taken off the market b/c they said they couldn't compete with the generics, not because of the risks and side effects - including the alleged IBS side effects.

Cystic acne is terrible though and if it's working for them and a person is under the supervision of a derm I say why not use accutane?

I've always recommended apple cider vinegar. Use it as a toner for several weeks, if you haven't tried it already.

thanks guys... as soon as I get home I'm looking into some of these options.

I'll probably visit a doc/derm as well, so tired of it!

I like some of Mario Badescu products for my cystic acne like the Drying Cream to shrink down the cystic acne and bring it to head. Also I like DDF Foaming blemish cleanser, but I have to space it out because the glycolic acid would sometimes make my acne worse. Again ymmv but these are some suggestions.

it's called roaccutane over here, i had never heard of it before i read this thread though, i don't think it's very popular in the UK

Rosie-I had it really bad a couple of years ago (from stress I think. I even have scars from it because I couldn't keep my mitts off of them and it got so bad) and I tried everything. You know what actually worked for me? Clean and Clear Continous Control facewash! Seriously a drugstore brand! I had some type of topical cream from the derm that my aunt gave me, but C&C is what got rid of it. I rarely, if never, get inflamed cysts now.

Good luck, I really know how sucky they are and how painful too.

Back