Skincare Secret: Green Tea Bags

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my mom told me about this "secret" a long time ago, but I only started doing it recently...

Drink one or two cups of caffeinated green tea every day...but save the tea bag! Squeeze out the excess liquid and leave it so that it's just damp, not dripping. And then dab it all over your face (assuming you have no make-up on), focusing underneath your eyes and on top of your eyelids.

So you basically use the green tea bag in place of a toner or refresher spray.

And I kid you not...the results have been fantastic for me!

Green tea is high in antioxidants which nourish and refresh the skin...and the light dose of caffeine has a rejuvenating effect. Skin feels softer and smoother after you do this.

It makes sense...since green tea face masks and moisturizers are sold in stores.

I've been doing this daily for about two weeks now and have seen some serious improvement in my skin.

Give it a try! =)

I find tea bags gross, i prefer keeping a cup aside, and soak cotton pads in it
laughing.gif
It's true it works though !

Originally Posted by NaturalRadiance /img/forum/go_quote.gif Why not just use a Green Tea face mask? It's just as cost effective and A LOT less work.
smile.gif

A face mask is actually more work.
It's much easier to just dab a tea bag on your face and then throw it away (with no mess whatsoever), as opposed to applying a mask, letting it sit for a while and then rinsing it off.

It's also killing two birds with one stone: drinking tea to keep your body healthy, plus keeping your face healthy at the exact same time. =)

I've heard that too but never tried it. Maybe I should.

what kind of improvements have you seen on your skin?

Originally Posted by lalalalila /img/forum/go_quote.gif A face mask is actually more work.
It's much easier to just dab a tea bag on your face and then throw it away (with no mess whatsoever), as opposed to applying a mask, letting it sit for a while and then rinsing it off.

It's also killing two birds with one stone: drinking tea to keep your body healthy, plus keeping your face healthy at the exact same time. =)

I suppose that makes sense too, but I feel that there are other benefits to using a face mask. I use the rinse-free type of face masks (meaning you don't have to rinse your face after using this kind of mask) so there's really no mess involved. In your super busy day, putting on a rinse-free face mask actually forces your body to slow down and makes you focus on your breathing. So, letting the face mask "sit" is a guarantee way to allow yourself relaxation time.

Very cool, I will try this, I love green tea.

You mean you put on the green tea what's in the bag and put in on your face (and wash it off later?) or just the drink itself?

Just put the teabags on your eyes
smile.gif

You can also put the brewed tea in a spray bottle and spray it, but don't make too much, i did and although i stored it in the fridge, at some point, it just had to be thrown out.

Originally Posted by esha /img/forum/go_quote.gif I've heard that too but never tried it. Maybe I should.
what kind of improvements have you seen on your skin?

-- I have eczema and certain parts of my face are prone to excessive dryness/flaking (the sides of my nose and between my eyebrows), especially when the weather is cold. Since I started using green tea, I noticed that my eczema has calmed quite a bit. My skin isn't flaking anymore.
-- The skin underneath my eyes and the eyelids themselves feel and look a lot more supple.

-- The mild acne on my forehead (my problem area! grrrr!) is less red and inflamed.

Originally Posted by purpleRain /img/forum/go_quote.gif Very cool, I will try this, I love green tea.You mean you put on the green tea what's in the bag and put in on your face (and wash it off later?) or just the drink itself?

After steeping the tea bag, squeeze out the excess liquid and just dab the bag itself all over your face. Let your face air dry and do not rinse.

Originally Posted by girl2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Will this help with acne?? and can it be any kind of green tea like flavored? I've had a few small, annoying pimples on my forehead and I noticed that this helped with relieving some of the redness. I don't know for sure that this will heal acne, but I do believe that it helps.
And the specific tea bags that I use are Tazo Zen (the kind they sell at Starbucks). It contains lemongrass and spearmint...and the spearmint is what makes my face feel all "minty" and refreshed. =) I think that any plain green tea would work, as long as its caffeinated.

Ah, Zen ! My favorite ! Lovely tea, it contains verbena too, love it. Never thought of using it as a toner though !
laughing.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ah, Zen ! My favorite ! Lovely tea, it contains verbena too, love it. Never thought of using it as a toner though !
laughing.gif
Tehe. I love Zen!

Hey so ive been using the green tea bags at night for a week or so and i love it!!!! I have oily skin and I do not get oily anymore if I use it as a "toner". im oily free for the whole day!!! thank you for this tip it really works

I love green tea. I will certainly have to try this one. Thank you for the very helpful tip.
smile.gif

I started using green tea as a toner about a week ago, and I've already noticed a dramatic improvement in my skin. The pimples I had seem to have vanished completely, and my skin is positively glowing. I actually went out shopping yesterday without applying any makeup at all because my skin looked so nice. Honestly! I just curled my lashes and applied a lip balm and that was all.

I don't use the teabag though. I love to drink green tea anyway, so when I make myself a cup of it, I'll pour about a third of it into a container and put it in the fridge. Then once I've cleaned my face I'll dab some on with a cotton ball and use it as a toner. Make sure to replace your batch every other day to retain the beneficial qualities of the tea.

Get it plain, and preferably leaves, so much better than Lipton (lol, tea addict talking here). You can get it for cheap at japanese grocery stores (i think the japaenese drink like 1/2 of the production).

I'll let out one of my secrets (which i don't do often enough !
frown.gif
) : i like to use matcha tea in my masks, i'll mix it with my clay. It's the powdered green tea used for the tea ceremony, it's my secret for "martian" cakes, but sometimes i don't use it all in cooking, so i recycle it for skincare !

It's less expensive in jap. grocery stores.

This works for me too, thanks
smile.gif

White tea is even healthier to drink but as far as I know it has less caffenine so the results might be worse as a mask.

Latest posts

Back