Christmas Dinner Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know, it's early, blah blah blah.. but lets talk about our christmas dinners! Also this thread can be for pictures of them too once the big day comes.

So what do you guys have for your christmas dinner? i'm curious to see how it changes around the world.

Every year we get a capon, which is a large castrated male chicken, instead of turkey as no one in my family really likes it. it doesn't taste like chicken and it doesn't taste like turkey lol.. it just tastes NICE
smile.gif

and then with the capon we have

- sausages in bacon (pigs in blankets)

- roast potatoes

- roast parsnips

- red cabbage with cooked apples and vinegar

- cauliflower in white sauce

- yorkshire puddings

- sprouts

- apple and pork stuffing

- sage and onion and sausage stuffing balls

- and of course.. GRAVY!

18.gif

Oh, a capon is a great idea, and for a special meal it really adds something, it's more original
smile.gif

The details are still ongoing, apparently my brother would welcome us (my parents and i) and his in laws (oh boy) for the 24th's dinner.

My mom is expected to do most of the cooking (the inlaws mainly cook frozen food
laughing.gif
) and i'll back her up.

Anyway, it's probably going to be some traditional stuff :

-Starters : melon and Parma ham, small tomatoes, small sausages, dips and chips.

-Turkey, we usually get one filled with mushrooms.

-Foie gras (lol, my cat loves foie gras !).

-For my dad, escargots and oysters.

-veggies to be determined with the inlaws.

-Log, either an icecream one, or a lighter, fruit mousse type. I pray the inlaws won't come in with a buttercream one, i won't shoot my liver for them.

-Champagne !
laughing.gif

We're probably going to eat dinner at Busch Gardens (we spend Christmas Day at Busch Gardens every year). lol.

turkey filled with mushrooms? i dont like turkey but that sounds yummy! lol

i think my cat would die from happiness if i even showed her some foie gras lol
biggrin.gif

We're Spanish so tamales are a must! This is the only time of the year that we make them, so I get pretty excited about them. Another thing I get anxious for are wedding cookies, I'm drooling just thinking about them LOL!

But other than that we're having beans, rice and tortillas. But I don't really care about those. Because I don't really like beans and rice.

Tamales only once per year? I can't even fathom that.
biggrin.gif

We eat a pretty traditional meal.

• Turkey
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Stuffing
  • Gravy
  • Corn
  • Rolls
  • Apple Crisp
  • Pumpkin Pie

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif Tamales only once per year? I can't even fathom that.
biggrin.gif
I know, it's not right!
wink.gif

Oh man me neither Leticia lol! My mom got a kitchen aid about two years ago and quickly found out that she can use it to make the masa and so we make them about once every 2-3 months and my husbands aunt makes them weekly though not as good and more masa than anything.

Christmas means homemade atole with tamales, sopapillas and pan dulce!! Yum!! And we'll also make an american traditional christmas dinner with ham, homemade mashed potatoes and mac n cheese, green beans etc. Forget the presents, I'm after the food lol!!

we dont really do much for christmass, but i am hopeing that we have ham cause i love me some honey glazed pig.

Well Our Familly We Make Homemade Cheese & CHILE tAMALES , Pork tamales & beef Tamales As well as Posole & Menudo & Than rice tortillas & beans Its Sooooooooooooo Good
smile.gif
And dont forget Dessert & Liquor Galore lol AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

In Australia as it's summer, seafood is a VERY popular choice for part of the Christmas lunch.

We'll probably have...

Roast Turkey

Roast Ham

Fresh prawns (or shrimp for you US MUTers
wink.gif
)

Several salads, especially potato salad!

and I'm sure millions of other dishes..my family is European!

Last but not least, you'll all turn diabetic just reading this lol We always have a Ukrainian dessert my grandmother makes, called Koutia (Kutcha) . My grandmothers recipe is slightly different from the traditional recipe, these are the ingredients.

1 bottle of Milk

1 tin of Condensed Milk

2 tablespoons of Caramel Sauce

1 cup of sugar (because there doesn't appear to be ENOUGH sweetness in this recipe! lol)

2 tablespoons of Honey

1 tablespoon of Vanilla (Vanilla Essence)

100 grams of Walnuts

1/2 lb of Poppy Seeds

2 cups of Rice

Cook the rice (allow to cool) , scald the poppy seeds, chop the walnuts finely. Mix together, then add all the liquid ingredients above, mix well and refrigerate. We generally make it the night before as it allows all the flavours to infuse. Or it can be made that morning.

***DISCLAIMER*** I take absolutely no responsibilty for any MUTer gaining weight/becoming diabetic if they so choose to ever make this dish!
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif we dont really do much for christmass, but i am hopeing that we have ham cause i love me some honey glazed pig. lol, kosher?
whistling.gif

that sounds amaaazing bec. i'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

when my bf used to live in australia he had a christmas bbq on the beach once. he said he felt so confused because it was warm!

BBQ's are pretty popular Christmas time over here! Actually..any time of the year really, us aussies are mad on 'barbies' lol

That desert sounds awesome Bec ! Plus it's very environmental friendly, as i suppose it's best to go home by foot to make sure you spent all the calories
lol.gif

When mixing the ingredients, what kind of consistency should i look for ? Custard ?

I'm surprised no one really mentioned it, but we're going to offer us a resonable medium sized box of chocolate. Because there was a time they were cheaper when we crossed the frontier to Belgium, we favor Leonidas, but we're not exclusive. Chocolate is such a fragile thing, we don't want it to go to waste
wink.gif

Nope, it's actually not thick at all, you want a fair amount of milk so it's kinda like a soup? I'll find the recipe and post up quantities when I get home from work
smile.gif

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks !! Recipe amended!
biggrin.gif

so i just found out what the menu will be for the last night of hanukkah at my house.

roast chicken, briskett, mashed potatos and gravy, green beans, pear tart, challah, and pumpkin ginger pie plus whatever deserts other people bring

Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif so i just found out what the menu will be for the last night of hanukkah at my house.
roast chicken, briskett, mashed potatos and gravy, green beans, pear tart, challah, and pumpkin ginger pie plus whatever deserts other people bring

Dang that sounds good lol.

Well nothing is set in stone but usually we have:

Turkey

Holiday mashed potatoes

Cranberry fluff

Green bean casserole

Stuffing

Dinner rolls or biscuits

Gravy

Dutch apple and/or pumpkin pie

Sparkling cider (we don't usually drink)

I also go crazy baking and making munchies so we usually end up with homemade mini cheeseballs (the good kind not the nasty tasting store ones), muffins, christmas cookies, gingerbread, and occasionally candy.

Back