Weight Gain from Birth Control

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious: What percentage of women actually gain weight from birth control?

I have a very stubborn friend who refuses go on it because she's terrified of gaining weight. I've tried to tell her that not all women do, but she just won't have it.

Personally, I was on the pill for 3 years before switching to Nuva Ring (which I've been on for about 2 years now) and I've hardly experienced any weight gain. Maybe 5-8 pounds max, but considering I was 16 when I started, my body was and still is developing.

If it were up to me, I'd take a slight weight gain over an unplanned pregnancy anyday.

If you ladies feel comfortable, please share your experiences?

I didn't gain weight. I'm more scared of gaining weight from quiting smoking!

It depends on the woman, it can also depend on the type of contraceptive pill you are prescribed. I have been on a few different types and have generally maintained my weight, you may initally put on a few kilos as your body adjusts, but it will come off. Some women even lose weight on birth control!

Originally Posted by lalalalila /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have a very stubborn friend who refuses go on it because she's terrified of gaining weight. I've tried to tell her that not all women do, but she just won't have it.

If it were up to me, I'd take a slight weight gain over an unplanned pregnancy anyday.

I have a friend exactly like that. It took her awhile but she finally did. I don't know what changed her mind but I'm just glad she did.
But I totally agree with you, I'd take weight gain over an unplanned pregnancy as well.

i never had any problems with the pill.

the shot is what i've heard the most bad things about.

I think it's possible, back to the time my hormones were messed up due to my lazy thyroid, i was bloated and definitely gained some weight. Never had a problem with the pill as i currently don't take any.

I haven't had any weight gain with birth control, but it can affect my moods and make me crazy. I'd rather have a few extra pounds than be anxious and moody all the time

It is possible to gain weight after baby birth due to use of extra supplement and diet for baby care but it would not be problem because most women automatically loose weight after 3 to 6 months of baby birth

There's lots of scientific evidence about this (here's one [Weight gain due to hormonal contraception: myth o... [Gynakol Geburtshilfliche Rundsch. 2009] - PubMed result ). The general consensus is that the gain is so small, that it isn't 100% definitive "blame it on the pill." Women on the pill are also more likely to have a male partner, and women tend to gain weight in usch situations especially if cohabitation is involved. But no, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

As to Depo-Provera causing huge weight gains, the average user gained approximately 13 pounds compared to 5 pounds of oral contraceptive users--over a 5 year study period. Really not huge statistically significant (especially given self-reported data regarding diet).

I'm very interested in this. I've recently lost weight, and I'm taking it easy really listening to my body until atleast October - watching every morsel and having a hopefully zero tolerance alcohol policy on myself. If I were to go on the pill I wouldn't consider it for a good year yet.

Back