Fast is best for Band-Aid removal: Scientists say

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Boy some scientist do strange studies lol... and I'v always got my children to rip the bandaid off fast

Research confirms mothers were right all along - removing a Band-Aid is less painful when it is ripped off quickly.

A study at Queensland's James Cook University used 65 medical students who removed Band-Aids either quickly or slowly, and ranked their pain reaction from zero to 10.

Quick removal returned a pain score of 0.92 in comparison with 1.58 for those who chose the slow approach.

Researcher Dr Carl O'Kane says the research found the cause of pain to be more of a psychological issue.

"It's fascinating that if you had a preconception that slow was going to be more painful in fact it was, so it also suggests that pain is not just what you perceive but what you think you will perceive when you get the painful stimulus," he said.

"So there's a lot of cultural and psychological factors there as well."

Source

Fast is best for Band-Aid removal: scientists - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I prefer for my children not to wear band aids at all
smile.gif

Maybe this applies to older Band-Aids, because I don't find the adhesive to be all that difficult.

To be completely honest, I never feel it when I take off band aids.

Probably because when I have a cut and I put antiseptic on it, it sort of numbs the area, I guess.

Maybe.

So it really doesn't make a difference to me.

Now, how much research money did they get for that??

It just frustrates me that we see these "new" studies that are extensively researched to tell the same thing we knew all along.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif Maybe this applies to older Band-Aids, because I don't find the adhesive to be all that difficult. Me too, apart from the nasty waterproof ones, too much glue !
But yeah, strange study, although i agree the pain you feel has a good part of cultural and psychological factors.

Purely psychological with my son. I haven't put a bandaid on him in a loooong time but I found that by distracting him he didn't even wince.

I prefer to take off my band-aids slowly, I've ripped skin off from taking them off too fast

Latest posts

Back