Horribly damaged hair rescue.Over dyed and bleached. Products and help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a really bad bleaching experience a few months ago (and it was done at the hairdressers) and my hair was very brittle, bits were snapping off and it was sooo dry! I started using Redkens All Soft Heavy Cream as a treatment (leave in for 30 mins) and also as a replacement for my conditioner and I noticed a massive difference. I also used CHI's Biosilk in my hair whilst it was still damp after washing it and those two products have done the world of good for my hair. My hair is now really soft and in pretty decent condition for someone with almost platinum blonde hair!

Whilst your hair is in this condition also try and avoid any heat styling. No straightening, blowdrying or curling as heat will cause further damage.

If you can't find any of the products I mentioned above, try finding products with protein in them, you need to rebuild it's strength and protein will do the job.

Best of luck chicken! I know how horrible it is trying to rebuild over processed hair, it will take time, but you'll get there!

HTH
smile.gif

Hello...

Is your whole head bleached or do you simply have highlights? You're going to need some protein ASAP! Unfortunetly with chemical services, they strip the hair of protein and ceramides which are the building blocks for strong, healthy hair. You ideally should load up on protein and ceramides in the hair a week or two before colouring/bleaching, but as a hairstylist I can tell you 99% of people dont and then wonder why the hair is fried after. Bec's idea of the Redken All Soft heavy cream is great, but thats mainly a moisture based product and I'm afraid that will only make your hair softer at t his point, not stronger.

You need to start with a protein regim:

- Joico K-pak Colour Shampoo and Conditioner

- Redken Extreme Shampoo and Conditioner

- Biologe ForteTherapy shampoo and conditioner

You can incorporate a moisture based treatment into your routine substituting your conditioner once or twice a week for a treatment (remember protein does not make the hair soft, it makes it strong) by adding a moisture treatment you will get the best of both worlds

- It's a 10 Miracle Masque

- Redken All Soft Heavy Cream

- AG Ultramoist Treatment

- Joico Moisture Recovery Intense Treatment

- Biologe Ultra Hydrating Conditioning Balm

It might sound gross but my mother used real mayonnaise on hers to repair it and it did work. She had very healthy hair. It was taught to her by a hair dresser after a friend had burnt her hair bleaching it. She would massage it in and cap it before going to bed and wash it out in the morning. Her hair was very healthy, soft and shiny looking.

The kerastase strengthening program thingy worked wonders on my hair....

i would also sugest chopping off as much as you are willing to part with. the more damage you cut out the nicer it looks.

The reason why people are suggesting Mayonaise is because mayonaise is made out of eggs. Eggs = Protein. I would assume mayonaise would be good for those on a tight budget, but if you can afford to drop a few pennies, I'd go with the above advice. HairEgo is a hairdresser... so I think her advice is pretty sound
smile.gif

Originally Posted by L165 /img/forum/go_quote.gif my whole head is fully bleached and dyedhave you(anybody) had experience with the related products underneath this one, they seem pretty good.(found underneath the conditioner when you scroll down

Redken - Extreme Conditioner

Is the joico K-PAK Color Therapy Conditioner the same as the one you mentioned?

Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Conditioner - Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Products

if not, is there anyway you might be able to link me to the right one?

Should I use the Joico K-PAK Color Conditioner before or after the Redken extreme conditioner, any chance they might offset or effect each other? (one after another) how long should i leave it in, the longer the better? ( i dont care if im sitting there for hours, rinsing, reapplying, and letting it sit for more effectiveness)

Also, did you list the products in any particular order? (like the best first)

Id love some information on the Redken related products,

Redken - Extreme Conditioner

(scroll down below the conditioner)

would they be as/more effective?(each's effectiveness individually of course) or any youve had experience with regarding brittle, color tortured hair

I thought Ive heard mayonnaise doesnt really repair hair, but just make it softer and more? does anybody know FOR SURE if it repairs?

Heres the thing, as I have explained numerous time on this forum TOO MUCH of something isnt good for your hair; I wouldnt suggest using the K-Pak colour therapy alongside the Redken extreme regim....too much protein will actually have the opposite effect. Start with the Joico K-Pak colour therapy regim. Twice a week substitute the conditioner for the Redken All Soft Heavy Cream. If you feel like you need a leave in conditioner go with Redken Anti Snap.

Originally Posted by L165 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey, any chance you can remove my quote on your last reply
sorry

fixed
smile.gif

I'm with ya, sister.

I've been dying and heat styling my hair since I was 12 and it's so damaged and dry. I recommend that you buy products for dry hair, brittle hair, and breakage-prone hair. Here are some really good ones that are under 6 american dollars per product and are available in most major drugstores. (CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, Target, etc.)

Products for dry hair:

Aussie Moist shampoo

Aussie Moist conditioner

Aussie Moist deeeeep 3 minute miracle

Garnier Fructis Moisture Works shampoo

Garnier Fructis Moisture Works conditioner

Garnier Fructis Moisture Works melting conditioner

Products for brittle, breakage-prone hair:

Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship shampoo

Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship conditioner

Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship leave-in split end protector

Tresemme Anti-Breakage shampoo

Tresemme Anti-Breakage Conditioner

You should also get a haircut and chop off most of the damaged hair. Maybe get a pixie cut or shoulder length cut. Yes, I know, letting go of that much hair may be difficult to deal with if you've had long hair all your life, but it's much better for it.

And try to cut down on the heat styling, dying, and bleaching. If you continue doing that, it's just going to make it worse and worse. Get a haircut every month or two, wash your hair every other day in lukewarm or cool water (the more heat you use, whether it's by heat styling or from hot water, then the more damaged your hair will get), use a moisture treatment twice a week (leave it in for twenty minutes or overnight if you wish), use a leave-in conditioner after towel drying your hair, and ALWAYS use a heat protectant (Tresemme has a very good one) before you use any heat styler.

This will save your hair and make you feel better about yourself.

I hope this helps! :)

Herbal Essences "None of Your Frizzness" Conditioner is very good. It has a balm in it and its very thick. It works very well to smooth and soften hair.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif Herbal Essences "None of Your Frizzness" Conditioner is very good. It has a balm in it and its very thick. It works very well to smooth and soften hair. I love love LOVE that shampoo! It's my favorite from Herbal Essences :)I heat style my hair A LOT and dye it on occasion, so it's not terribly damaged but the ends are still pretty dry and brittle; this shampoo saved it.

dry and damaged hair reallis the pits! i had beautiful golden blonde hair and on a whim i decided to go black which i liked for about........ 2 weeks then wanted my blonde back! i decided it would be a super awesome idea to do it myself at home but just the ends so it looked like balayage. to my credit it didn't look bad but it completely ruined my hair! i still have the balayage effect but with brown roots and blonde midlenghts and ends and a professional does it now, not me! my recommendations for dry hair (these worked wonders for me) are:

shampoo: either bumble & bumble quenching shampoo or creme de coco shampoo and their sunday shampoo which you use once a week to remove product build up

conditioner: bumble and bumble creme de coco conditioner

masque: either bumble and bumble mending masque, creme de coco masque, fekkai protein rx masque or the bumble and bumble deeep masque. the bumble and bumble packaging suggests wrapping your hair in a towel while you wait, i totally stand by this- even better if you're able to grab a chair and sit in your bathroom with heated lights
wink.gif

i def also recommend the bumble and bumble mending complex which is applied to damp hair before styling and kerastase laminates if your hair is a little on the dull side due to damage etc.

once hair is styled i'm def one for jumping on the moroccan oil bandwagon, i think a few drops of this massaged into your palms and distributed through the lower lengths and ends (not crown/roots area as this will make you hair appear greasy) works a whole lot of wonders and it smells divine and is completely weightless!

at night depending on your hair ie thick or think i def recommend kerastase noctogenist treatment for your lengths and ends and definitely a trim and depending on the severity of damage maybe give your hair a break from heat stylers and learn how to put it up in fashionable buns and ponytails! hope that helps!!!

Yes yes yes. I've bleached my hair, then dyed it, bleached it, bleached it some more, dyed it, etc. I regret doing so much crap to my hair, and I'm on the path to growing it again.

I've found the best luck with:

Redken ButterTreat Deep conditioner

Redken Color Extend

I am no longer straightening my hair, I rarely use hot tools anymore, if not only to blow-dry it once in awhile.

And now I'm only using semi-permanent dyes on my hair.

Yes, I have seriously mistreated my hair earlier.

The way back to healthy hair was very easy. Oils! I`m a long hair addict, truly! Once a week I oil my hair with the Vitamin E Oil 5,ooo I.U. from Jason. This Oiling makes a huge diffrence to my hair, it is really stunning
rockwoot.gif

Ingredients:

Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil*, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Lecithin

*Certified Organic

There you go!

I have just heard about a new product that has been released into the US market called Hair Rescue, from a company called Keraplast. It's only available from salons, but it is a conditioning treatment that is being proven to work really well on all sorts of damaged hair.  If you are in the States, you might want to ask your hairdresser about whether they have it in the salon, or can get it in.

Hello HairEgo

I bleached my hair over a year ago, and I would blowdry it after every wash (because my hair was really short and curly and I'm a little plump, so the short curly hair didn't really suit me). But my hair's growing now. They've grown beyond shoulder length and I happen to like curls now. But I haven't had a haircut in a long time and my hair's growing thin and looks pretty unhealthy too. I was my hair on an alternate day basis. 

Can you help me? 

I saw one of the users mentioned the mayonnaise treatment. Is that just mayonnaise or oil and mayo? I apply castor oil once a while and baby oil regularly. I want to grow my hair long but don't want them to be so unhealthy.

Help me pleaseee :'(

Hair ego hasn't been to mut in over a year.

If you want to apply an oil to your hair, look for coconut, advocado, palm or another nut oil.

They can penetrate the hair shaft an actually strengthen your hair.

Castor oil and baby oil can't do this.

Mayonaise is just a mess - stick with an oil I already mentioned.

Back