Carpet stains

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was hoping someone could offer any suggestion's on removing carpet stain's. I'm not sure what some of them are, some were here before we moved in. I have tried several name brand's and even vinegar (my mom swear's by this stuff) but nothing work's, the stain's reappear. Any ideas?

Have you tried "Carbona Stain Devils"? They have never failed me. The only thing is with the Carbonas you need to know what type of stain it is (i.e. oil, grass, ink, etc.) to use the correct formulation. They are very easy to use. If you don't know the origin of the stain, your best bet is probably "Everblum", which is what we used at an alterations shop that I worked at. It's a professional product, but I'm pretty sure it's sold to the general public. You will most likely have to buy a big bottle (I don't think they make small sizes) and you'll need to handle it carefully, but it's very effective (lots of dry-cleaners use it to remove stains). You can find Carbona at many chain stores, grocery stores and fabric stores. Everblum will require more of a search.

Thanx, i'll give it a try
icon_smile.gif

I was going to suggest vinegar-always a lifesaver for us..but you stated it did not work. Have you tried Spot Shot(in a can) or oxy clean? You could always rent a carpet steamer-they have them at most chain stores/hardware stores. I guess it depends on the colour of your carpet too. I have never tried the Carbona stain devils-they sound great.

Originally Posted by brendakaos I was hoping someone could offer any suggestion's on removing carpet stain's. I'm not sure what some of them are, some were here before we moved in. I have tried several name brand's and even vinegar (my mom swear's by this stuff) but nothing work's, the stain's reappear. Any ideas? I too was told that Spot Shot takes up all stains. I tried it and did not have the same success. You could try it. The sad truth is that the stains may be there for such a long time, plus you don't know what type of stains they are, so may-be no matter what you do, they will reappear. Here is something you could try...I read this somewhere....pour baking soda on the stain, cover the baking soda with vinegar, leave it alone (cover it with a paper towel). The next day, or several hours later, see if the stain comes up, either by blotting or may-be you will have to use a brush. Worth a try. I think I would first try the Spot Shot though. My friend said she dropped mascara on her carpet and nothing else worked, but Spot Shot did the trick. Good Luck.
Petite Syrah

I swear by this stuff you can get called Folex. It works so well. It's about 8-9 bucks a bottle you MIGHT be able to find at a grocery store or some drug stores carry it.

This is kind of silly but I have a couple of parrots so I have a product called Poop Off. It's a non-toxic stain remover and it seems to work on all kinds of stains, not just "poopies"
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Naturally Oxy Clean ...wow ..it's pretty good!
If it's pet odors:

one quart hydrogen

peroxide and 1/4 cup baking soda. If you pour the soda right

into the bottle of peroxide, make sure it is not REAL full

before hand or you'll bubble over.
wink.gif
You can also add a

teeny bit of dish soap if you want it to suds a bit. But

this is basically like a very very cheap version of those

oxy cleansers,

Kim - Thanks for this recipe for pet odors! I've tried Oxy Clean and it does do really good, but I prefer natural items so this is great!
murphybrn

Originally Posted by brendakaos I was hoping someone could offer any suggestion's on removing carpet stain's. I'm not sure what some of them are, some were here before we moved in. I have tried several name brand's and even vinegar (my mom swear's by this stuff) but nothing work's, the stain's reappear. Any ideas? When I have used commercial products to clean carpet in the past, I found that if I followed up with plain water, I didn't end up with "rings" where the spot was. Just dampen a clean cloth (preferably white) and go over the spot a few times, rinsing afterwards each time.
murphybrn

If the stain has gone into the padding below, the stain will never come out. Sad fact but its true, you have to get them before they soak into the padding or the body oils from bare feet will stick to the carpet and make the stains reappear. I know its sounds kinda twilight zonish but its true.

The problem with using cleaners is that if it's not wicked away immediately, it'll take the soil/stain and settle into the padding. I love Bissell's Little Green machine when used with a spot treatment. Pricey at $70 but it has great suction and really pulls the cleaning solution out of the carpet...fast! And it allows me to do a clean water rinse to remove the cleaner, which helps since cleansers leave a residue which attracts dirt.

I normally use carpet cleaner, but for red stains I really love sudsing ammonia. I learned about ammonia from photography. When I messed up with Spot-Tone (correcting ink for black/white prints), this was the only thing that even budged the ink!

Originally Posted by brendakaos I was hoping someone could offer any suggestion's on removing carpet stain's. I'm not sure what some of them are, some were here before we moved in. I have tried several name brand's and even vinegar (my mom swear's by this stuff) but nothing work's, the stain's reappear. Any ideas? Ha.. the bain of the stain. Its called "wicking" and happens no matter what you do. The product is not going to help. UNfortunately, home steam cleaner/carpet cleaners are not strong enough to get it all out. You MIGHT want to consider calling a professional carpet cleaner to come in.. Because if you continue to clean your carpets, the fibres will eventually give.. Returning spots are most commonly caused by deep down dirt. It's usually dirt or a spill found at the carpet backing (the tarp-like material behind the fiber) or in the cushion padding below the carpet. Once these spots have been re-wet by cleaning, they tend not to show up right away but do once the drying process begins. This is what we professional carpet cleaners call "wick-back". Imagine submersing a dry paper towel half way into a cup of water...the water is drawn up the paper towel, much like the stain/spot/spill is drawn to the surface as it drys. If you can't get a professional to do it for you, then the best way is to not over wet the carpet and re-activate the deep stain/spot/spill. Or, you can clean it using your method and once it dries and the spot re-appears, use a slightly damp towel and only work the stain/spot/spill out of the top fiber only. Do not over wet. Use a slightly damp towel only. Wipe gently as not to distort the fiber. The stain/spot/spill will still be there, yet it will be below the surface and will not be noticeable.

I have the same problem with my carpet and nothing seems to work either, thanks for putting up these posts everyone - great advice! ill give them a go!!

some carpet cleaning companies will dye the carpet to cover up stains ..maybe you should look into it if you can (want) to change the carpet color?

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish I normally use carpet cleaner, but for red stains I really love sudsing ammonia. I learned about ammonia from photography. When I messed up with Spot-Tone (correcting ink for black/white prints), this was the only thing that even budged the ink! Um, what is sudsing ammonia? I've never heard of that.

Latest posts

Back