How do I not look so shiny!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to makeup, well I've been using it for 2 yrs but only minimally.

I find when I wear foundation alot I look really shiny. I'm using Revlon new complexion. It's pretty old - like two years in May, and is probably a shade too light, it's a mix of powder/liquid and you put it on with a sponge. My skin is generally avg - not oily/dry/acned - although when it's warmer it does look more oily. When I blush or bronze over top it doesn't really do too much to alleviate the shinyness.

Do you reckon my problem lies with the foundation I use, or moisturiser? (Nivea Visage Oil-free moisturising fluid for normal and combo. skin).

[[also sorry if this is in the wrong forum :///]

you're shiny probably for several reasons! first, your foundation is two years old? you really need to buy a new one, makeup can harbour bacteria and chances are your foundation has seperated a bit. revlon colorstay is a good one and has a good range of colours, and dries to a matte (ish) finish.

second, are you putting your foundation on straight after your moisturiser? you need to let it skin in a little and this will help you from being shiny.

third, you need to use a little powder on top of your foundation, this helps to "seal" your makeup and also mattify. you don't need it over your full face, just your t-zone usually, unless your skin is very oily. rimmel make a great cheap one, it's called stay matte and it's a pressed powder, you just tap a little on with a puff or brush.
smile.gif

If your face looks shiny immediately after you apply the foundation, you might want to try a powder to set the foundation.

If it gets shiny throughout the day, you could try a blotting powder or blotting sheets.

You could also try a foundation with a matte finish to see if that would help.

Good luck!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Lucy /img/forum/go_quote.gif you're shiny probably for several reasons! first, your foundation is two years old? you really need to buy a new one, makeup can harbour bacteria and chances are your foundation has seperated a bit. revlon colorstay is a good one and has a good range of colours, and dries to a matte (ish) finish.
second, are you putting your foundation on straight after your moisturiser? you need to let it skin in a little and this will help you from being shiny.

third, you need to use a little powder on top of your foundation, this helps to "seal" your makeup and also mattify. you don't need it over your full face, just your t-zone usually, unless your skin is very oily. rimmel make a great cheap one, it's called stay matte and it's a pressed powder, you just tap a little on with a puff or brush.
smile.gif

Yeah I thought it was a bit old :/ I hate wasting stuff though and it's my 'safe foundation'
tongue.gif
And I'm putting on the moisturiser before bed lol, a good atleast 8 hours before makeup.

Oh I never knew about putting powder on on top of the foundation. Do you do that regardless of the foundation being liquid/powder/whatever? And then blush/bronzer on top as well? I don't want to look too overdone, like caked in makeup

Thanks for replying!

Also when I buy my nwe foundation, should I buy the same brand and colour as my concealer? It's new and I only use a teeny bit, it's a little darker than my current foundation and I've heard the foundation Australis makes (brand of my concealor) is really good.

You probably just need a setting powder and possibly some blotting papers. Blotting papers can remove shine throughout the day as needed without removing your makeup. That way you use them and reapply a touch of powder and since a large amount of oils have been lifted off you don't make "mud".

Avon offers alot of good products as well as Mark.

I love marks Matte Chance Mattifying Lotion which is a moisturizer you can where under your makeup.

I also suggest a different line of foundation. Avon also has a ton of foundation lines that will work just for you. I use the Smooth Minerals line. It helps with oily skin, acne, and its just an overall good line to use. There are also Cheat sheet Shine-blotters that Mark has that are a great tool to put in your purse and use throughout the day. All theses products are inexpensive.

If you would like to check them out visit

youravon.com/rebeccamiddleton

your concealer should be a shade lighter than your skin tone, and a shade lighter than your foundation
smile.gif

it doesn't matter what finish your foundation has, though if it's that liquid to powder stuff it might look a little heavy, so i wouldn't use much setting powder.

you just said EVERYTHING I was going to say! :)

Even down to the Colorstay recommendation ( I just started using it to replace my Prescriptives and love it)! Woah! Weird

Originally Posted by Lucy /img/forum/go_quote.gif you're shiny probably for several reasons! first, your foundation is two years old? you really need to buy a new one, makeup can harbour bacteria and chances are your foundation has seperated a bit. revlon colorstay is a good one and has a good range of colours, and dries to a matte (ish) finish.

smile.gif

I hate looking oily too. I just thought I would mention also, I think that 2 years is a long time to keep foundation. It might be time to replace it.

Yes you are suppose to use a lighter concealer than your foundation but that is for like under eye dark circles and wrinkles but what most people dont know for covering up acne you use a concealer the same shade as your foundation or skin tone

I actually have very oily skin, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE revlon colorstay. It's wonderful. If you wanted to try it out, I apply it with a damp sponge as I've heard it dries quickly which makes blending difficult. I havn't had this problem with a damp sponge. I use the lightest shade and it's dead ringer for my skin tone
smile.gif
I also use the lightest shade concealer from the line as well and I absolutely love it
smile.gif

Just make sure to remove ALL of the make up or it will break you out
frown.gif
I actually have to take a makeup remover cloth, use that then use EVOO and put it directly on my face and wipe it away with a cotton ball before I wash my face to get it all off.. it has great staying power though ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

HTH

Try using a mattifying face lotion [such as Mark Matte Chance] after cleansing. And after foundation, use a mineral veil and/or mattifying face powder [sonia Kashuk Colorless Matte Loose Powder] to set.

These steps work well for me.

Hope this helps!

Thank you everyone. My sis has like 3 compacts of powder i'm going to try putting over my foundation. She never uses it so has given me permission to use :0 They're Revlon, atleast one of them, too
smile.gif

I swear by avon's Mark line mattefying lotion! it's the only thing that works for my severely oily skin!

I can vouch for what Lucy said about the colorstay combined with Rimmel Stay Matte. I completely agree with her!

I have incredibly oily skin. I cleanse, tone and moisturise with neutrogena products twice a day, at night and in the morning. After I have done that I apply colorstay, concealer if I need it and then the pressed powder which I apply with a sponge very heavily to my oily areas and then blend out over my whole face with a big fluffy brush.

I also carry Za oil blotting papers and my stay matte with me all day for touch ups. This routine works great for me, even though my skin is so oily I have no pimples except a few tiny black heads.

i would definently recommend that you invest in a good foundation brush and keep away from those make up sponges...i have been a make up artist for 12 years now...and they are nasty! Unless of course you are going to use a new one or wash it after each application....! A foundation brush has synthetic bristles and helps to apply foundation on the top of your skin rather than taking it off and soaking it up (like a sponge) and your foundation will also last much longer!

i use liquid foundation because i have dry skin, but sometimes during the day my face would sweat a lot because of the quick 'climate' change from the 'cold outside' and 'warm inside'.

so I apply on my T-Zone lightly powder foundation.

Either from Daycell (its a korean brand) or my Chanel Poudre Universelle Compacte.

I think you can use any decent powder, since it shouldn't cover anything but just fix the makeup

Back