Backing off MAC

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've finally had it with their gimmicks and price-raising and the pigment thing just through me over the edge. I've decided to really expand my mind and think past MAC. I like NARS, MUFE, Illamasqua, Smashbox and others so it looks like Sephora is going to be getting a lot of my business since they're virtual one-stop cosmetics super store and they have all of those brands.

I've been loyal to MAC for years, price hike after price hike and I'm starting to feel like they really don't care much about their consumers because they have consistently raised the prices of items a minimum of 1-2 times per year - every year since I've purchased from them. It's not enough that they only rarely do FnF. They just don't really do anything for customers at all and I'm finally fed up with it. I liked the uniformity and packaging of MAC but I can get sleek black packaging anywhere. I'm moving on.

Even with the price increases and size shrinkage, MAC is still pretty much the lowest priced HE brand. I think the reason I got over MAC was more about quality. Not that I don't love some MAC items, but I honestly just don't buy into the whole "if it's MAC, it's great" mentality anymore. Ugh, some of the eyeshadows I have just suck, the foundations can kiss my butt, and my SG brushes are like MAC brushes on steroids.

Lol, anyway...good for you that you're expanding your horizons. Most of the brands you mentioned are worth the extra few dollars you'll spend. Beware of Smashbox, though. It's super hit or miss.

From what I've read here, a lot of other users are fed up with MAC aswell. I've never been a MAC faithful so I cant complain on price increases - I just wouldnt know. I love Nars, MUFE and Smashbox...but LolaB is right about Smashbox being hit or miss.

I'm fed with them as well, so i rarely buy anything now that bears a MAC stamp. I think it's also partially because of all those collections and items you have to have because they're LE. I don't like that. If i like a product i also like to be able to repurchase another bottle.

i actually only own one mac item, it's a creme blush. i've been tempted by the nail polishes a few times but after hearing reports on quality, backed off. i HATE the mac shop here in liverpool so rarely go in, that's probably why i own so little. i also just don't see all the fuss.

I'm beyond sick of MAC. For me it's the 800 limited edition collections 50 million times a year. You don't get a chance to enjoy the product you purchase from the last limited edition collection before you have to decided on what to purchase from the next limited edition collection. I hate those types of gimmicks. By the time Style Black came out I was sick of MAC. I had planned on purchasing the entire Style Black collection but I ended up purchasing two eye shadows and buying a ton of Nars and MUFE. Both Nars and MUFE have been great investmests. I purchased a ton of Smashbox last year and ended up hating it all. For me Smashbox was not hit or miss it was just miss. I recently received a sample of Smashboxes HD foundation and so far it's really nice.

I also purchased a lot of Illamasqua last year and I would have to say that I did not like this brand. Cover Girl eyeshadow is much better than Illamasqua and Cover Girl sucks bad.

Urban Decay, Ben Nye, Sally's Girl and Hard Candy are also new Editions to my collection. All have performed well. Kat Von D's eye shadows and lip sticks have been great her lip glosses are not worth what they are asking for them NYX makes a much better lip gloss.

I will have to agree with you. Apart from some good products, MAC doesn't really deserve all this hype. And the thing with the LE items puts me off big time. I don't even bother buying stuff from LE collections because in case I like something very much, who knows whether I'll be able to find it again, and I can't buy things just for stock! (Makeup does have an end date, you can't have stuff lying around for ages.)

I've found that the best option is to not stick to one brand, but search all of them and find what suits you better from each. For example, I agree that Illamasqua eye shadows are not so good for their price, but their foundations rock, and I've also LOVED the brushes, because unlike MAC ones, they don't shed at all and you can apply liquid foundation at ease. I like things from Estee Lauder, Clinique, Dior, UD, MUFE, YSL, Too Faced etc. but I can't say I trust a brand enough to buy everything from it.

Inglot is way cheaper and the quality is alot better than MAC. The only problem is that there is only one store in the US and its located in Time Square.

Im also a fan of drugstore makeup...the quality has improved alot.

I've worked in cosmetics for 15 years and been with MAC for 12 years.

In the cosmetic industry all brands do price increases twice yearly--usually in January or February and again in August. Usually anywhere from 5 to 20 items will get increases, depending on the size of the cosmetic line.

The items that get increased are usually because the supplies/materials/pigments needed to make that item have increased as well.

The cost for MAC to make certain items (especially foundations and skin care) goes up more often because of all of the research and development needed to keep up with new technologies. Other items, such as lipstick, are still about the same to manufacture, which is why they have only gone from $13.00 to $14.00 in the 12 years I have worked for them.

Overall, as far as department store prices and quality go, I think MAC is still a better buy for what you get compared to a lot of other brands.

(Personally I wouldn't spend money on any department store makeup since there is so much out there in drug stores and boutiques that cost so little and are good products. NYX lipliners are $1.50, why pay $13.00??)

And I totally agree with all of you about the limited life items!!! It's ridiculous!! I'm glad to see all of you saying this since we employees have been telling the company that this is a mistake!

Let's hear from a few more of you about limited life so I can print out this thread and take it to my spring update training class next week!
smile.gif

I go to MAC for one thing and one thing only at this point and that is pigments. And I dont get them from MAC...only CCO's and other sellers of the pigments. I have a lot of issues with MAC:

1. Collections- 700 collections in one year is too much. And everything that they are putting out IS dupeable now. I havent seen anything unique in the realm of eyeshadows in YEARS.

2. Makeup artists- know too much yet know nothing at all condescending *******s that cant tell me shit about past collections. Yes your job is to pimp out the regular line but for god sakes dont ask ME what collection parrot originally came from and 10 seconds ago my overweight behind couldnt get a disposable mascara wand?

3. MAC is still affordable amongst high end brands. But I dont consider them high end. Clinique shadows are priced the same, better pigmentation, and MORE IN THE PACKAGE.

4. the pigments. less for same price? no thanks.

I can relate with the makeup artists complain, the last ones i met has a high opinion of themselves yet they couldn't tell which collection has Feline in it. Hellooo !! I'm not even talking about a past collection here !
frown.gif

If I wanted something from them I would buy it. The problem is that I havent seen anything that I am dying for that I can't find somewhere else for cheaper. Companies like NYX make some amazing dupes at a fraction of the cost.

Also, as mentioned why would I want to get hooked on stuff that once I use it up I can no longer purchase. LE is ok for some things but for regular items for daily/weekly use... no thanks.

I never started using it >.< I wanted too but due to the income of a starbucks barista it quite limits the HE brands I can get.. umm zilch
frown.gif

Go Jazzie! Soon after joining MUT and learning about all the other brands out there to try, it didn't take long b4 I was over MAC... And in the little time I've been seriously into makeup, I've seen so many repromotes and dupe lists that MAC is no longer worthwhile.

I totally understand.

A small part of me is not ready to totally give up MAC. I have very little, and there are a few items I would still like to have, despite their sucky way of doing business. When I get those, then I doubt I will really think about MAC all that much. I love many brands, and I know I can be happy without MAC.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Go Jazzie! Soon after joining MUT and learning about all the other brands out there to try, it didn't take long b4 I was over MAC... And in the little time I've been seriously into makeup, I've seen so many repromotes and dupe lists that MAC is no longer worthwhile. I need to go on a no buy before my husband does a drive by on me.

I had barely started when Mac when they ticked me off with their price increases. There are so many brands out there and while mac may still be one of the cheapest of the highend brands, there are so many good dupes. I highly doubt that most people care that I'm a particular shade of purple that's LE from a collection 4 years ago...

yup..so many limited edition products that there are hardly some good permanent products lol..and they easily discontinue so many of their products so you cant even think of getting used to to a single product or colour..

Back