My Skin Is So Dry!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know what the problem is with my skin. I exfoliate daily and I put on so much moisturizer but when I look in the mirror hours later I have embarrassing dry skin peeling off my face! What can I do about this??

aaaaah i know! i have the exact same problem and it's driving me mad. I use nivea blue pot moisturiser which is pretty much the thickest moisturiser around, i cleanse with almond oil and sometimes add a little of it to the nivea but i'm still super dry. but i only exfoliate once a week. i heard over exfoliating can be drying bcreative, that might be your problem!

Well I have been using cream cleanser for years, mostly Noxema and then last year I started using Neutrogena. Recently I bought this new face wash, which I think started this dry spell. I stopped using that but my skin was still dry. So instead of going back to my Neutrogena, I bought these facial scrubbing pads with a built in cleanser and I've been using that for about 2 weeks now.

Hmmm... If there's salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in your cleanser and toner and you're exfoliating you could be drying your skin out. So I'd say eliminate one of them for a week until you find the culprit.

Originally Posted by bCreative /img/forum/go_quote.gif Well I have been using cream cleanser for years, mostly Noxema and then last year I started using Neutrogena. Recently I bought this new face wash, which I think started this dry spell. I stopped using that but my skin was still dry. So instead of going back to my Neutrogena, I bought these facial scrubbing pads with a built in cleanser and I've been using that for about 2 weeks now. The Neutrogena cleanser is the scrubbing pads? I would stop using those daily. I think that would be contributing to your problem. Neutrogena One Step Cleanser and pretty good, I would recommend that instead. And are you exfoliating on top of using the scrubbing pads?

Noxema contains quite a few irritants. Its possible that had caught up to you also.

I know I may get shunned for this, but you may be "over-caring" for your skin. Some people have stronger or less sensitive skin I think but not me. I know when I religiously wash my face twice a day and then moisturize my face got much worse. It was peeling AND oily. I started steam washing my face in the morning by running my face under nice hot water for a few minutes in the shower, without using cleanser. I only exfoliate once a week, never more. I do not scrub my face with any pads, I wash with my hands only. I wash my face with Cetaphil towards the end of the day to remove makeup. Obviously if I get particularly dirty I may have to wash more than that but this is usually plenty. I have super sensitive skin and I found that with all the washings, even with ultra gentle cleansers, it was too much. Within a week of changing to this I found that my skin was almost completely repaired and looking brighter. Not sure if this will work for you but it's an easy thing to test and not costly.

You should try to use some natural methods in moisturizing your skin it might help your skin to look fresh

Also do not forget to drink water, it helps, and you can also spray some on your face before your moisturizer.

I also second Dalylah's post (have you tried oil cleansing or milky makeup removers ? That's the gentlest i've found for my face).

Thanks for the advice guys! You might be right scrubbing my face everyday may be the problem.

You definitely sound like you need Vaseline Sheer Infusion, only just out and so so good, I've been using it for 2 weeks and would literally NEVER go back. No more dry skin, and it uses new technologies that I'm going to be honest I don't really get (apart from the fact they work!) but it explains it all in the TV ad just search Vaseline Sheer Infusion on google (it won't let me post the link until I've been a member for longer). I hope it works as well for you as it does for me! xxx

i sort of had that problem well not really, but my skin started looking so un fresh and un moisturized. so i switched to lancome hydra zen line. and it really is great.

also at night i use moisturizing cream/pack that you leave on, (its like lotion) and you just wash off. it works
smile.gif

so yeah. try to get products that deeply moisturize.
smile.gif

That's what I would recommend too, water. It may be something internal. Try changing your diet and see if that helps any.

i had this problem in the past and someone told me to start using la roche posay moisturizers for dehydrated skin. they really help!

Back