Hair Wavy Since Colouring.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Naturally my hair is pin straight, can't hold a curl and just hangs there. Since I started colouring my hair, more specifically, blonde, everytime it gets wet or if I get caught out in the rain my hair goes wavy.

When I have been other colours and when my hair was virgin, it never did this, only since being blonde I have noticed, if my hair gets wet it will go wavy. They're quite nice beachy waves, but it annoys me to no end if I have spent my morning blowdrying or straightening it.

I asked my hairdresser about it and she reckons it has nothing to do with actually colouring it and that my hair has just changed over time. I am not entirely convinced.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I know that hormones and chemotherapy can cause hair to change from straight to wavy/curly (or the opposite).

If that doesn't apply, maybe your hair is just starting to become damaged from the chemicals and heat - eventually the waviness will become frizziness.

It's a really nice wave, looks like beach waves. There's no frizziness to it at all. I look after my hair incredibly well, I do regular treatments use top quality shampoos/conditioners/styling products so considering I do have peroxide in my hair, it's in incredible condition. So it's not that either :/

that's so strange! maybe it's just a gradual change, I know people whose hair has become a lot wavier as they get older, despite never having curly/wavy hair before that...

I'm not sure what else it could be, maybe the colourant just accelerated a natural change?

up until i was about 11, i had poker straight hair naturally, i'd just wash it and leave it and it would dry really straight and frizzless. then literally, one day, i woke up, washed my hair and it started to frizz, over the next few weeks it changed into the loose curls i have now. i've always wondered why it changed, i didn't actually do anything different to it.

Lucy that is so strange! At least your curls are really lovely, rather than awful frizz
smile.gif

hair tends to wave when it gets damaged.

and you said you go blonde so i am assuming lighter, that means that your hair is most likely taking a beating from the processing

My hair has changed several times over the years. When I was little it was straight and no frizz. Once I hit puberty it went curly (almost overnight) and also would get frizzy. Now its more of a looser curl, I can't get it to go as curly as it was when I was a teen. I do notice it changes a bit when I colour it though, but for me it tends to be a bit straighter not curlier. (And less frizzy)

You dont do a solid blonde, do you Bec? You do highlights right? Anyway, a solid blonde could justify the wavy hair....even though you use high end products, it still takes a toll on the hair. I'm leaning more towards just a change in hair texture naturally. You've seen my wavy/curly hair right? I used to have poker straight hair up until I was 18...then all of a sudden it started getting wavier and wavier and now I have a full head of curls.

Its the same how preg womens hair texture changes...I have a lot of clients who have straight hair, get preg, and now have a maine of curls. Our bodies are programed to change.

I pretty much have a full head of blonde now Gina. So That is probably it. I know being artificially blonde does take it's toll, I just would have expected lots of frizz, so far so good.

Sounds like the chemicals changed the structure of your hair. Stop using that particular color or brand and just let the hair grow out of you are concerned.

It's the opposite for me.....I have naturally loose curly hair...I bleached the top half last summer and it ruined my curls, it's dry nasty straight

Latest posts

Back