Opinions on mineral makeup? (Bare Escentuals)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bare Escentuals have been around for a while, now mineral makeup seems to have taken over the industry. Just find the 50% off coupon for mineral makeup including foundation, blushers and bronzers, eyeliner and shadows, lip gloss/stick and liner, and starter and blemish kits.

Anybody tried these and is one brand better than another? Am looking at the BE Get Started kit, because the concept of all these different powders is hard for me to get a handle on. I was looking at Loreal on a BOGO sale, but it seemed you need 5 or 6 of these jars of stuff.

Any suggestions, comments? Or should I just say no?

Lots of info for you in this section. It's dedicated to Mineral Makeup. You can search Bare Escentuals or Bare Minerals up on the search section for more specific information.

Bare Escentuals is nice for light, everyday coverage. I have yet to find a mineral foundation I love enough to completely leave conventional makeup, which I use for serious coverage or when I know I will be photographed. (Mineral makeup doesn't photograph well due to the spf.)

If you search a bit you'll find tons of other threads on the subject, but to summarize it a bit, for some it works, for me it didn't. I didn't like the coverage, the not so long lasting power and the bismuth oxychloride was making the foundation very itchy for me. The brushes from the kit are too harsh and created more uneeded irritation so i only kept the concealer brush, which i don't even use because since then i found a better one. The powder did nothing for me, surely not oil control. I also didn't like very much the sort of primer they give you in the kit.

In my opinion, rather than getting the kit if you want to try out the brand, just get the foundation.

I really like mineral foundation, but BE i've never tried.

I use Everyday Minerals Base Foundation on top of MAD Minerals Liquid Foundation which works pretty well other than the fact that it has a shorter staying power, and transfers a bit.

If you do get into mineral makeup, I recommend using the minerals with a mineral primer, and checking the ingredients to make sure they're really all natural or organic like it claims.

When I first used B.E. my face tingled. It also itched and stung if I would sweat. I called the company and they stated it may be the kabuki brush and they sent me a synthetic one which worked out better but I'm sure using the Kabuki gives better coverage. I've since tried other mineral brands hoping to find something I can stick with.

I love MMU but dont care for BE. But BE is what got me into minerals 10+ years ago. For me, I didn't get a good finish with BE, it was too shiny looking. I also discovered that I'm sensitive to bismuth.

I've read alot about mineral makeup and wanna start using it soon. Unfortunately, in Kuwait (this is where I live) we have very few brands offering mineral makeup.

What i've come accross is Bourjois mineral matte mousse and Rimmel Lasting Mineral Foundation. Can anyone suggest which one I should go for? I have oily skin and my makeup fades after a few hours. I need something that will stay and not wipe off with a tissue. And yes.. complete coverage for sure!

Lots of the small mineral brands ship internationally with reasonable shipping rates. You can check those out too. I don't know anything about Bourjois or Rimmel's products so I can't help you there. Just wanted to point out that your options are not as limited if you are up for ordering online.

I really liked BE at first, but I couldn't deal with how messy and time consuming it was. I also wasn't really getting the coverage I wanted with it. I purchased a lot of their products only to never use them.

I stopped using it all together and bought PUR Minerals. I really love the product when I want a more natural face and I like the fact that you can't really tell it's a powder - which is my main issue with any powder/mineral foundation. It gives you a nice even coverage without all the fuss and steps. I actually recommend it to friends that wanted to try MMU or didn't care for BE for the same reasons, and they also preferred it.

I recently bought MAC mineralize to try. I've only worn it once and I liked the coverage. So, the jury is still out on that one. I liked the fact that it was a mineral make-up with more coverage (medium) because it's not a powder.

I haven't tried Bare Escentuals but I do use pinQ.me mineral makeup which I love! It's free from all the nasty stuff (including Bismuth oxychloride) and is really lightweight while giving great coverage. The best thing about this brand is they have samples which you can buy for $1.10 on their website - so you can try without spending heaps! Check them out at pinq.me

I think is over rated. It makes me look too powdery and kinda break me out a lil too
frown.gif

i really like the lancome mineral make up!! look a lot more natural on me

I like mineral makeup. I am alergic to most other makeups and mineral makeup is the only thing that makes my skin not break out in rashes. I don't use BE of course I use other brands that are cheaper and bring more product. I love Sweetscents.

I have tried and failed with BE. Too shiney, made me itch. Also made me look super old as it highlighted every line and pore on my face.

I am a huge fan of Aromaleigh and Meow Cosmetics. Both offer sample programs so that you can try different foundation at a very minimal price. Both offer international shipping. And both have a wide variety of foundation colors and finishes.

these mineral foundations are a flop i heard that it block ur pores not good for normal or dry skin

Omg, there is ALOT of mmu out there much better than BE! I Would sample around, if i where you. But uhm... i aint ...

Here's my BE experience...

About 6 yrs ago I seen the infomercial one night - I thought WOW it would be awesome to have a foundation that actually 'matched' my skin and was good for it. Then I went on a business trip to Dallas and there was a store that sold BE - so I bought the starter kit, blush, and a brush (about $100) I loved it. It lasted all day and didn't break my skin out if I forgot to take off my makeup. When I ran out about 8 months later, my heart broke, because I live in a small town and knew that I wouldn't be able to get back to Dallas anytime soon.

This year, I decided that since I turned 40 - I was going to do something good for myself and 'go all out' for makeup - I bought about $200 of BE (concealer, foundation, brush, blush, mineral veil, and an eyeshadow kit). No matter what I do, it will not last all day like it did before. By lunchtime, my face is shiny and it is gone. Now I do have oily, acne prone skin. But I faithfully wash my face and apply acne treatment every night. I don't know what has changed with the product. I even went so far as to by samples of their primer and Smashbox primer on eBay, and still nothing helps.

I have read many thread here and there are many rave reviews about EG Minerals. I placed my order of samples the other day and hope this might be the one I have been looking for.

If it is - I will most definately let others know. I really wanted BE to work like it did before, but it has fallen short.

I know this is lenthy, but I hope it helps.

I used B.E. for about 6 months. It covered well and lasted all day, but I found it made my skin look much older and dryer than it is. I even tried their hydrating mineral veil and it didn't help at all. Still very very drying, and I have combination/oily skin. It also made me break out something terrible. I still sometimes use their all over face color as a blush or bronzer and I'll get a pimple outbreak afterwards. (I always washed my brushes so it wasn't from that)

Just like alot of ppl BE hurt my face. I could not take the stinging feeling and I noticed it easily rubbed off on my clothing. The only mineral make I found to work for me is EDM. Because I was not sure of what color I was I got 3 samples and it comes in handy as I tan really easy and I can mix the colors together.

Back