People who collect makeup- your thoughts

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on people who collect makeup?. Do you think it's a waste of money?. Do you think these people are just greedy, and buy them just to "have it" for example...people who buy 5 different foundations and dont even use them all out?

Those who collect makeup...do you just keep them in the box and not use them, and let them just spoil away? Do you only collect limited edition stuff like that Alice in Wonderland eyeshadow pallete? And Viva Glam Gaga lipstick for example, and not use them? Are you the type of person who buys double of everything? one to use one to stack away for "backup" or just to have.

Or are you the type of person that buys makeup to use them? Uses them all up until, and then buy more stuff?

I do use the makeup that I buy and if I don't then I'll give it to someone who will... I don't have tons of makeup either although I am trying to build a nice makeup collection but with things I know I'll use and like (I do a lot of research before buying something)... =)

Well, I suppose you could say I "collect" makeup. Some of it gets more use than others, but I don't buy anything that I don't think I'd use. I don't wait until I've used it all up to buy more makeup, though...especially eye shadows. Also, I don't see any problem with buying more than one of a limited edition item that I like, but I usually just buy one and then try to find a similar product once the original starts to run out.

As far as foundations go, I have quite a few. But they serve different purposes. I use different foundations depending on my skin's condition that day (whether my skin is extra dry, breaking out, in good condition, etc) as well as how long I need it to last and whether or not I'm going to have pictures taken.

Different people have different hobbies and collections of different things...I don't think that makes any of them greedy.
smile.gif

I collect makeup.... and vintage jewelry..... and old cameras.... and old tools.... all because it makes me happy.... So I don't really see an issue....

I don't find it greedy either. As the others have already mentioned some people just love to collect makeup, rather then others who collect antiques, cars, or whatever. I personally don't collect makeup just to have it because I don't like to waste things so whatever I buy it gets used.

I don't really care what people spend their money on. Most people have a part of their life they splurge on. For me, it's makeup and handbags. I am sure there are people who think I am nuts for not having just one, inexpensive purse. But they aren't living my life, so they can just suck it lol!
biggrin.gif

Well people collect many things that I feel is a waste of money maybe because I'm not a collector or have collections myself. At the end of the day, it's their money and not mine and if they can afford it then more power to them.

right now, i have a very very small make up collection, and i haven't used about 5 of the eyeshadows i have... yet
smile.gif
i worry that i am wasting my money, but this is the first thing i've been really into for a long time, so im going to take advantage of it now!

like every one else has said, lots of people have the one thing in their life they will splurge on just because it is what they love! my boyfriend has a hobby like that (fishing) and now i do too
smile.gif
i think i have splurged more than he has however, and he's been at this hobby for years! haha

I do use everything I have but I having never realy been into makeup until the last few months I have yet to hit the bottom of a pan on anything. Previously things like foundations got thrown out because I'd had them too long, not because they were finished. That's all changing now though!

Certain things like foundation and mascara I won't buy until I've finished what I already have but I collect eyeshadows like they're going out of style...

I have one friend who collects purses and shoes. She'll never wear all of them, but the collection makes her happy. Another friend collects Christmas decorations. She spends three days every year taking out 16+ boxes to go through to decide what she wants to put out for the year, and then spends another 2 days repacking it after Christmas. But that's what makes her happy. I collect books (5700+) and lately eyeshadows. I love my collections! I don't think it's greed and it's not a bad thing unless you're spending the grocery money on it, I think it's human nature to want to gather the things around you that make you feel happy and secure.

I do think its crazy sometimes but then I think of all the other crap other people collect and then i change my mind.

I think a collection of any sort is great to have. There'll always be some goal you can achieve by adding something to your collection. I collect makeup. It's fun.

I'm a user/collector and I love it! While I don't buy duplicates or LE's just because I do have way more than I need so for that reason I'll say I collect. LOL It'll take me years to use everything down to the very end but I do use it all pretty often. I think it's similar to shoes and all of the other things people find interest in.

We always want something new and pretty! LOL

Originally Posted by aagirlie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have one friend who collects purses and shoes. She'll never wear all of them, but the collection makes her happy. Another friend collects Christmas decorations. She spends three days every year taking out 16+ boxes to go through to decide what she wants to put out for the year, and then spends another 2 days repacking it after Christmas. But that's what makes her happy. I collect books (5700+) and lately eyeshadows. I love my collections! I don't think it's greed and it's not a bad thing unless you're spending the grocery money on it, I think it's human nature to want to gather the things around you that make you feel happy and secure. Purses, books, and shoes dont have expiry dates though, it kinna different. Makeup spoils, gets bacteria in it...and you cant use it anymore.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif I don't really care what people spend their money on. Most people have a part of their life they splurge on. For me, it's makeup and handbags. I am sure there are people who think I am nuts for not having just one, inexpensive purse. But they aren't living my life, so they can just suck it lol!
biggrin.gif
Exactly!I wouldnt say i am a "collector" because i do not buy multiples, and my intention is to use everything i have (i do not buy it just to look at).

That being said for people that do collect makeup i see no problem with it, people enjoy diffrent things, i have a collection of mugs. I dont drink out of them, i tend to actually use them for pens, or makeup brushes or buttons stuff that needs a small place to house it, but i still get them occasionally.

Originally Posted by Mixie87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Purses, books, and shoes dont have expiry dates though, it kinna different. Makeup spoils, gets bacteria in it...and you cant use it anymore. they are not really that diffrent,
with books the pages will yellow, get bugs in them and eventually disintegrate.

I think the main thing with a "collector" of makeup is while they use some of there makeup, they do not use all of it. And they realize that they will not use all of it, they may just like the packaging (which does not expire) or some other aspect of the product.

As one person said, compared to the other things people collect this is not bad at all. If any of you have seen horders where people collect stuff like plastic bags, or used paper cups makeup kinda seems normal even if it may expire.

I don't collect make up but I wish I could when I see people's make up hauls. Maybe when I have the money I'll start collecting it. I don't see anything wrong with it if it makes you happy.

I agree with some other posts here. Ppl like to collect things, makeup just may be one of them. I won't chastise them because they do.

Originally Posted by aagirlie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I have one friend who collects purses and shoes. She'll never wear all of them, but the collection makes her happy. Another friend collects Christmas decorations. She spends three days every year taking out 16+ boxes to go through to decide what she wants to put out for the year, and then spends another 2 days repacking it after Christmas. But that's what makes her happy. I collect books (5700+) and lately eyeshadows. I love my collections! I don't think it's greed and it's not a bad thing unless you're spending the grocery money on it, I think it's human nature to want to gather the things around you that make you feel happy and secure. Originally Posted by Orangeeyecrayon /img/forum/go_quote.gif Exactly!I wouldnt say i am a "collector" because i do not buy multiples, and my intention is to use everything i have (i do not buy it just to look at).

That being said for people that do collect makeup i see no problem with it, people enjoy diffrent things, i have a collection of mugs. I dont drink out of them, i tend to actually use them for pens, or makeup brushes or buttons stuff that needs a small place to house it, but i still get them occasionally.

they are not really that diffrent,

with books the pages will yellow, get bugs in them and eventually disintegrate.

I think the main thing with a "collector" of makeup is while they use some of there makeup, they do not use all of it. And they realize that they will not use all of it, they may just like the packaging (which does not expire) or some other aspect of the product.

As one person said, compared to the other things people collect this is not bad at all. If any of you have seen horders where people collect stuff like plastic bags, or used paper cups makeup kinda seems normal even if it may expire.

It is different. It takes YEARS for books"disintegrate". My mom still has books from when she was a kid. The pages get yellow, but you can still read them.

Makeup lasts a couple months, no more than 5 years...depending what it is.

I only buy what I need. I'm a pretty conservative spender. I've some girls who have huge hauls all of the time, but they usually dont wear much makeup...makes me wonder when they expect to use it lol
smile.gif
but it's their money & it isn't bothering me. It can actualy benefit me if they decide to have huge blogsales. hehe. <3

Back