Help im a daycare teacher

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so i work at this daycare im having trouble potty training the kid is mom doesnt care whether hes potty trained or not but im tired of changing his diaper any suggestions ive tried bribing and telling him to sing or pretend to put out a fire hes 3yrs old

also i have a spoiled brat kid that wont do what i say and if i say something he throws a hissy fit like he wont clean he is 2

then i have another child who hates change and will whine if something changes she is 3

if i could get help on any of these i would be greatful

thank you!!!

in my experience kids get potty trained when they are ready and by that i mean they really want to do it. if you're not getting it from the child and even less from the parent its going to be hard. kids seeing other kids in a day care setting sometimes works as does bribery (M&M rewards) but it really is up to the individual child.

the mother may figure out why rush him/her. if you go out and there are accidents you need extra clothes etc.

If the mother is not on board then the child is not getting training at home where they need it most and it will most likely be very hard if not fail. Have you spoken to the mother kindly about it?

As Darla stated, when they're ready they'll go but since you've offered several bribes and fun ways to go about it, I think the next step is going every 20-30 min. Children should never be pushed too hard to learn the potty. It should definitely be a fun experience for them.

As for the other children, well they're isn't much you can do. Some kids are more high need then others and if anything you can ask their parents what it is you can do to calm them down or occupy their time with.

well im looking for a new job too much crap i come home almost everyday with bruises bc of violent children but yet i cant do anything about it

sounds like this is not the vocation for you. it is tough dealing with little ones. i don't know why you have to do the potty training. little tots need firm but nice treatment. you have to be patient,PATIENT. you have to realize these are just learning how to handle growing up. firm voice, then a treat if they do good. toddlers are famous for pushing peoples buttons. speak sofly and firm. don't lose control. it is going to be hard but it can be very rewarding to see them accomplish new things. hang in there.

Originally Posted by wannabepoet /img/forum/go_quote.gif sounds like this is not the vocation for you. it is tough dealing with little ones. This! I'm a nanny to a 7 yr old girl, two 4 year old boys and a one year old girl and the boys do not like to listen to me at times. The best thing to do pick your battles.

Defiance is a child's way of getting heard. Sometimes in families with a lot of children or when the parents are not around as much, sometimes the children will attract negative attention because it's the only way they can be heard. "Mom will always yell at me when I punch my sister but when I put away my toys she never says anything." This isn't the case all the time obviously, but maybe this is the case with the kid you take care of. In which case, it wouldn't make him a "spoiled brat" just a child who needs to feel like he/she is heard.

Is it worth getting upset because he won't put on his coat or when he hits another child? If he is getting in trouble all of the time, "getting in trouble" isn't going to matter to him anymore. Rewards and praise for good behavior, "Yay Josh, thank you so much for listening to me when I asked you to get on your coat!! You're such a great kid." and less attention to negative behavior. But this is just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back