DHT and Hair Loss

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know Gina's going to chime in but I gave a question for any hair specialsts.. Treatments or supliments to block DHT and promote hair regrowth.. How does it know I want to target my head and not the rest of my body? I've always been trying to reduce or eliminate body hair but if I start a DHT blocking supliment won't I be fighting a loosing battle.. Yeah more hair on my thinning head would be great I just don't want to look like a gorilla either! Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks.

beautiful hair tips!

Use Good Quality Products

There's a good reason brands like Kinky-Curly and Miss Jessie's are so popular among people seeking great-looking curls: they work. Products from these lines, as well as Ouidad, are designed to work with curly hair of all textures. You'll get much better results with a high-quality gel than you will from a cheap drugstore brand, which usually leaves hair feeling crunchy and parched.

After Products are Applied, Leave Hair Alone

Once your hair products are in and you've combed through your hair or worked through it with your fingers, leave your style alone. Let it air dry or use a diffuser, but don't touch those curls. This means no combing and no brushing; otherwise, you'll just comb or brush your curls into a big ball of frizz.

Let Hair Air Dry Whenever Possible

You may not always have time to let your hair air dry, but do it whenever you can. The less heat you place on your hair in the form of blow drying, even if it's diffused, the more moisture your hair retains, which is crucial for maintaining healthy curls that don't frizz. If you're in a hurry, low heat via a diffuser dryer is fine, but again, don't scrunch. Just move the dryer around your hair quickly and stop when your hair is about 50% dry.

Avoid Oils

For well-defined curls, products that are not oil-based will give you better results. When you don't want to wear your hair in ringlet form, using oil is fine and won't disrupt your style, but gel-like products give good hold while keeping frizz at bay.

Karren! I have explained this to you before! In the instance of Nioxin for example, the Shampoo (cleanser) and scalp therapy (conditioner) help REMOVE excess DHT. The shampoo and conditioner alone will not promote growth. Its the scalp treatment and or follicle booster you use AFTERWARD that promotes growth. So as long as you are only applying it to your HEAD you have nothing to worry about :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Karren /img/forum/go_quote.gif I know Gina's going to chime in but I gave a question for any hair specialsts.. Treatments or supliments to block DHT and promote hair regrowth.. How does it know I want to target my head and not the rest of my body? I've always been trying to reduce or eliminate body hair but if I start a DHT blocking supliment won't I be fighting a loosing battle.. Yeah more hair on my thinning head would be great I just don't want to look like a gorilla either! Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks. That's not how DHT works. After puberty, DHT only causes bad things. It triggers male pattern baldness on your head, but it also causes increased body hair on the rest of your body -- not to mention it's the main cause for BHP which leads to prostate cancer.
I think the point is moot, though, if you're talking about supplements, because all that stuff is questionable at best. You need a prescription for the effective DHT blockers like dutasteride, finasteride, and nizoral 2%.

But even if you're just using Rogaine, it's much more effective to use Retin-A cream with it, and you need a prescription for that, too.

See a doctor. Don't waste your money on bogus products which are often more expensive than the things that actually work. If you're not going to see a doctor, simple scalp massages and Rogaine increase blood flow and will help more than any other non-prescription hair treatment you can get.

Thanks Racquel.... I think I have other issues since I'm on a prolactin blocker for a pitutary tumor which messes up my blood chemistry and T levels... Went from having very little body hair to tons in a few months.... and thinning hair on my head...

Then a DHT blocker like Propecia (finasteride) would probably help you. Your pituitary can make testosterone, and sometimes it makes a lot, which gets converted to DHT and gives you body hair. Propecia would block 80% of it, and anybody will write you a prescription for it since it doesn't have any other side effects besides lowering your chance of prostate cancer.

I have to make a Dr appointment to get one of my perscriptions refilled soon so I will check it out! Thanks!
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back