Everyones input on "cheap" makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just was wondering what everyone thought about the cheaper makeup that they are coming out with these days. I have lots of ELF and LA Colors, granted theres a couple things here and there that didnt quite meet my standards but overall I actually love the cheap brands.

cheap is fine for me! im on a pretty tight budget so i dont mind getting ELF over MAC or something like that. not saying its better, just that i dont mind it! its just like name brand clothing... i dont have any! and i think i have cute clothes! its all preference and mine is cheap
smile.gif
haha

I think its great but I hate that I have to waste money on trying different products before I find a good one.

I haven't tried very many because, like Emily said, sometimes it's not worth it to buy a bunch of cheap stuff trying to find something that'll work. It adds up.

i think every cheap line has a really good product. e/s are often bad quality, but often it's hard to go wrong with a lipgloss or translucent powder. those things can be just as good looking as high end brand products. i've been using rimmel powder for years and years and its only like £2 for a pan, but it's my HG powder.

I don't care for them anymore. I like some cheap products, but I am at a point in my life that I enjoy splurging instead. I find myself happier with my splurges.

Cheap items I still like:

Clear gloss

Wet n Wild gel liner

Mascara (L'Oreal)

Most lipglosses

Wet n Wild flavored lip balms in the pot

I am sure there might be a few others I am forgetting

I buy "cheap" makeup and they work for me. I do buy department store brands, but I'm more interested in how the product performs, rather than cost.

Originally Posted by SMOKViiCA /img/forum/go_quote.gif Cheap or not, I'll take anything that gets the job done!
smile.gif
Exactly!
smile.gif

When I was young and first started wearing makeup, my mom bought Clinique makeup for my sister and I. Then when I got older and had to buy my own, I stopped buying brands like Clinique just for the money factor. I think think department store brands tend to have better quality makeup, but not always. I also bought more makeup when I only bought from the drug store, because I would keep trying different things to see what I liked better. So, in the long run, I was spending the same amount of money and ended up with a lot of stuff I wasn't using. That's when I decided to budget for the department store.
smile.gif

Before I moved to Montreal I came from a small town....where bigger named cosmetics just weren't available. Now I'm overwhelmed by makeup
smile.gif
There are some cheaper cosmetics I will still buy because I find them the same quality as the higher priced cosmetics. Examples: Lipglosses, Mascara, and a few lipsticks. Eyeshadows I have to go with the higher priced, you just can't beat it
smile.gif

I've been through that phase where Ill only buy high end makeup, I've realized that that was stupid. Why would I spend so much on makeup when drugstore products could have the same pay off. I use to mainly buy higher end foundations because it was easier for me to find my right shade, now I wear Revlon, they have all shades and their quality IS comparable to MAC. I dont wear MAC anymore unless I see something that I cant find in drugstores.

I usually buy the least expensive brand that works for me. I'm bad about trying high-end brands just for the packaging or hype. Drugstore item I can't live w/o -Rimmel 1000 Kisses Lip Liner in Spice. High end item I can't live w/o - Anastasia Brow Pencil in Blonde and Brow Powder in Strawburn. I've used BE, MAC, Laura Geller, Stilla, Smashbox, Urban Decay, MUFE, Benefit, Illamasqua and love the items I have. However, I've found comparable items in Revlon, Rimmel, Milani and several online mineral makeup companies. So.......I say use and buy within your budget and what works for you as well.
rockwoot.gif

I think there are cheaper brands that work wonders, but I found that I have had to spend a lot of money searching for the products that work, like a couple posters above said. I've found it really helps to read reviews of the cheaper brands to see what the good products are.

I feel the same way.

By using primer the eyeshadows may stay longer, lipglosses, well, you can never go wrong, and some mascara's and eyeliners are good.

As far as foundations and powders I have bought everything from revlon to MAC. I can say that what ever matches my skin (combination) is what I will use.

I almost bought into the "hype" of high end cosmetics until I realized I really did not need to. Matte's, metallics, shimmer, they can be cheap or in the mid range but I don't think I want to spend $16 anymore on one eyeshadow.

I have quite a few cheap items that I really love. My number one favourite liquid eyeliner is rimmel's exaggerate liquid eyeliner and that has been my favourite for years. I've only recently found a product that I love as much as that, and it's ELF's £3.50 cream eyeliner!

I think there's def. drawbacks when it comes to cheaper mu brands, but for the most part they all offer great things that benefit everyone. For example, ELF is a great cheapo brand..I love their lip glosses but thats about it. LA Colors does extremely well when it comes to eyeshadows (when used with a good eye primer). So for me the two brands may not have the "total package", but you can take from their line whatever suits you best.

Chelle

Originally Posted by emily_3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think its great but I hate that I have to waste money on trying different products before I find a good one. That's the beauty of being able to return makeup products.
smile.gif
I know I can at Meijer (a grocery store chain in the Midwest), and I have done so many times.
I have a good mix of cheap/higher priced products. Revlon ColorStay foundation is fantastic, for instance, and I love Jane's mineral blush (very pigmented & has shades that can dupe Nars Orgasm). And, since I already have long lashes, I can get away with buying the cheap mascara and getting compliments. Eyeshadow tends to be what I'll spend more on. So few drugstore brands are pigmented enough (and for that matter, brands at Sephora).

Pretty much everything I buy is cheap and I'm happy with it.

I love Almay foundation, powder, and eyeliner

I used to have 5 star mascaras like Maybelline Unstoppable and Lash Expansion, the only other one I know of at the moment is l'Oreal HIP.

Latest posts

Back