Crazy hair loss

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been freaking out about this a lot, and only just thought maybe you guys could help some how. I'm only 16 years old and my hair has been falling out like crazy (not by breakage btw. By the roots). I know 50-100 hairs a day is normal... but I lose far more hair than that. When I shower about 50 (probably more) hairs fall out. The other day I brushed my hair on a white towel so I could count how much fell out, and counted 47 "/. This morning while I was brushing my hair, at least 20 hairs fell out. When I run my fingers through my hair I get about 4-6 hairs. A toss of the hair can result in about 10 loose strands. Sometimes I'm just standing there normally, and feel 3 or 4 hairs fall onto my arm. I'm so scared that I might go bald >.> I stopped using heat and styling products on my hair about 2 months ago. I have no idea what might have caused this. The only thing I can think of was when I used a neon coloured hair spray for a school event at the beginning of this year. All of my friends used it too though and their hair is fine (they've even dyed their hair dozens of times).

Does anyone know what could be causing this or what I could do to help keep as much hair as possible?

At such a young age I'd go see your doctor and see is there isn't some kind of underlying medical condition causing your hair loss..

Yeah, there's definitely something going on internally. My hair was falling out last year and I got checked. Come to find my thyroid was acting up. Go see a Dr.

Hair loss can be happened due to liver problems.Check out if your stomach have any internal problem or not.

Definitely go to a doctor to see what's up! That much hair loss is almost certainly caused by a medical issue. Hope you get it sorted soon!
smile.gif

I have a thyroid problem and lose my scalp hair very much like this, do you know if you have one? One time i clogged my sink!

I keep my hair loss under control by taking GNC Ultra Nourish hair tablets. It definitely minimizes the hair loss and makes it grow faster. I also always make sure I comb my hair from the ends going gradually up to the scalp. My hairdresser told me your hair breaks and comes out of your scalp easier if you start at the scalp. I have noticed my scalp seems less noticeable if you brush starting at your ends.

Thanks for the replies guys :) I've been to the doctor so often about different things now he's probably getting sick of me "/ haha. But I will definitely go to see him anyway.

Well I have been losing hair lately, maybe its time to go to the doctor as well, I think is the stress produced by the work. Or maybe is something related to my liver as I read in a previous post.

if your on birth control, i heard thats one of the side effects. especially from depo provera

The doctor had some blood tests done for vitamins, iron, protein, liver, all that stuff and said my iron levels were slightly low. Another doctor (when I went to pick up my prescription for iron tablets. My doctor was busy) said he wasn't sure if they would help, but it was worth a shot. I've been taking iron tablets for a month now and no improvement AT ALL. My hair still falls out like crazy, possible more than before. You can visibly tell I'm losing hair . Especially on the front as you can see baby hairs more than anything because so much of my actual hair is gone. It makes me so depressed. I'm going to see the doctor again on Monday, and hopefully they can do something else about it.

Do you guys know of anything that could cause this sort of hair loss, that can't be detected in blood tests?

I'm not taking birth control or anything by the way.

I have the same problem. I pull clumps the size of a small rat out of my shower drain. I pull hairs off me all day long....I even dyed my hair last night, and have always needed two boxes, and I did my whole head with only one!!!!!!!

I think we both need to get checked out!

Please update when you get a second opinion!!!!

I didn't manage to see the doctor on Monday so I went on Thursday. My doctor was out again so I got a female doctor who I found to be quite helpful.

They have already tested me for everything possible and everything seemed to be normal. The doctor also had a look at my scalp and said it didn't look terribly unhealthy or anything. She said she thinks it might be temporary hair loss (can't remember the proper name for it). Basically if there is some sort of shock to your system (weight loss, diet change, medication, stress, illness, etc) in about 3 months your hair will begin to thin. It may even look as though you are going bald. What is happening is that new hair is being created, your current hair is being pushed out by something (it starts with an A. can't remember what it is. I doubt anyone would know what exactly it is anyway) to prepare for new hair. This will make it seem as though you're losing a lot of hair and going bald. The scary bit (for me anyway) is that there is a peak in the hair fall (which I probably haven't reached yet... I'm so worried for when my hair fall peaks) and once it reaches the peak it will begin to lessen, until your hair in most cases will go back to normal (there are times when some people's hair doesn't go back to normal). This should all take six months to happen. My hair has only been falling out for only about 2 months or so so I still have about four months of hair fall left ): I just hope it really will stop after four more months.

I'm glad that you got some answers. As I was reading your previous posts I was going to suggest a female doctor. Glad that you found one who took the situation seriously and didn't dismiss your concerns.

This doctor explained what I experienced after having a baby and I stopped breastfeeding...one of the "shock to your system" changes that your doctor mentioned. It is a very common occurrence for women and although I know that you are 16 and this isn't your situation, I mention it just to let you know that things do improve. I was losing hair by the handfuls and was so concerned. Once I knew that it was perfectly normal I was able to relax a bit and just knew that it would get better.

My hair loss is now back to normal. One thing I did do when I was going through the hair loss was I cut my hair. If you have long hair, maybe taking off 2+ inches will help make your hair a little healthier. For me it just made me feel like I was doing all that I could do to help my hair recover. I liked taking back control of the situation too...at least it made me feel that way a little bit.

Keep your chin up and I wish you all the best. If things don't improve for you I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist. At your age doctors may try to resist this request, but you have to be your own advocate and push for what you need. This type of hair loss is usually hormonal and an endocrinologist can help pinpoint this.

Apart from an internal cure, Avalon organics makes a Biotin thickening shampoo and conditioner which is meant for hair loss. The Jason natural line also offers a biotin shampoo which significantly thickens and restores hair. These products may be available at your local health food store. Taking a daily biotin supplement works great too- it really helped me when I lost hair due to stress.

Back