Chocolate and depression linked, but how?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chocolate and depression linked, but how?

PH2010042603399.jpg

(AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

This afternoon, with the publication of this study, we know more about the relationship between chocolate and mood.

But not much more.

Researchers at the University of California analyzed just over 900 men and women's self-reported chocolate consumption and assessed those people's symptoms of depression (if any) using a standard screening survey. They found that those who ate the most chocolate were also those with the most symptoms of depression. The more chocolate eaten, the worse the depression. That held true for men and women alike.

Alas, as is so often the case, the data couldn't demonstrate whether chocolate plays some role in causing depression or whether depression causes increased chocolate consumption.

The researchers were able to pinpoint, though, that it's the chocolate itself -- not the fat, carbs or caffeine therein -- that was related to mood.

More research is needed, they conclude, to determine which of five potential scenarios best explains the coffee-depression connection. Those scenarios include everything from the possibility that depressed people self-medicate with chocolate to the notion that both chocolate cravings and depression may be triggered by some underlying physiological factor such as inflammation.

I find it amazing that science has not yet pinned this all down yet. It seems obvious to me that we reach for the bag of Hershey's kisses when we feel blue -- but apparently that's not been established after all. I would like to volunteer to take part in the next study -- if it involves lots of chocolate, that is.

By Jennifer LaRue Huget | April 26, 2010; 5:08 PM ET src

~~~~

I like the closing about volunteering for the next study.

I have never reached the "too much chocolate" limit yet!! Guess I'll have to just keep pushing it for science's sake!
smile.gif

I think they need to do alot more research and I too volunteer. I truly believe chocolate makes me feel happy. Like Karen said can't get enough chocolate....haven't reached my limit yet!
whistling.gif

Well chocolate contains magnesium and magnesium is standard herbal remedy for stress, so i guess that can play a role. At least that's my excuse to eat that one square
biggrin.gif

But i think it's because chocolate comes in many shapes and tastes, and it's associated with happy events think Easter, and chocolate is also associated with greediness and pleasure, so i think when you eat chocolate you also unconsciously link to those happy references.

Uh oh, I've been craving a lot of chocolate lately.

I wonder if it's because chocolate is a comfort food, and when you are depressed you want comfort?

Ha ha, Shern came home and told me this cuz I said I wanted chocolate for dinner, LOL!!!

I volunteer for the study tho. I don't mind eating chocolate for science. I do it for free right now...

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Ha ha, Shern came home and told me this cuz I said I wanted chocolate for dinner, LOL!!!
I volunteer for the study tho. I don't mind eating chocolate for science. I do it for free right now...

Lol, i volunteer too, truth is lately i've been craving for chocolate too.

What kind of chocolate was this? Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? What else did these people eat or drink? Were they taking any medication? I think those people who did eat more chocolate felt this way because eating too much chocolate does make you feel like crap. I get depressed because I know I'm gonna get fat for eating a whole bar! LOL

Back